Update on Plushenko suing T&M | Golden Skate

Update on Plushenko suing T&M

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
http://www.nevasport.ru/news.php?id=15232

Figure skating. Evgeny Plushenko readies his charge to Totmianina and Marinin regarding the losses.

Relationship between the creator and organizer of the “Golden Ice Stradivari” tour (Olympic champion Evgeny Plushenko and the producers’ centers Ice Vision, headed by Ari Zakaryan, Plushenko’s agent and manager) with Olympic champions Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin, who have signed a contract to perform in a our, and then unilaterally tore it up and are now performing in the competing tour of Ilya Averbukh, still has not stabilized. Ari Zakaryan told sport information agency “All Sport” that an official action requesting that Totmianina and Marinin reimburse the losses resulting from their refusal to take part in “Golden Ice Stradivari” tour has been prepared and will soon be served.

“Lately, there have been comments relating to the refusal of the team Totmianina/ Marinin to participate in the “Golden Ice Stradivari” tour that we can only see as slander and targeted negative PR”, said Ari Zakaryan. This prompted us to release the facts directly related to the current events. On February 27, Totmianina and Marinin sent the producing center Ice Vision an official letter, citing several reasons for breaching the contract. The first was a lack of the tour program, meaning the itinerary and the number of cities where performances would occur, ready by February 21st. Second was the lack of the official permission for tour participation by the Russian figure skating federation president Valentin Piseev by February 21st. Third was the absence of the names of Totmianina and Marinin on the posters and advertisement videos of the tour. I’d like to say the following for the record. According to the contract of December 11th, 2006 regarding performances of Totmianina and Marinin in the “Golden Ice Stradivari” tour, “tour program, including itinerary, number of cities, number of performances (show) in each city, planned to take place between February 20 and April 6 of 2007 are determined by the payer” (item 1.1.4). Therefore, we as organizers have no duty to inform participants of the tour program at any period before the start. Also, according to item 1.1.4, “payer pays the performer a guaranteed sum for taking part in 20 performances based on the value stated in this contract in case if there will be fact be fewer than twenty such performances.” In other words, we paid athletes a guaranteed sum for 20 shows, even if we had fewer than that. That condition takes away athletes’ worries about possible reduction of income based on the number of cities. A contract with the Russian figure skating federation president Valentin Piseev was signed on February 20th. According to the addendum #2 to the contract, we received his permission for the participation in the tour of the eligible skaters Evgeny Plushenko, Irina Slutskaya, Tatiana Totmianina/ Maxim Marinin, Julia Obertas/ Sergei Slavnov, Nikita Mikhailov, Artur Gachinsky, and others. Therefore, Totmianina and Marinin’s statements in that regard are completely contradictory to the truth. Also, up until the athletes’ official refusal from taking part in the tour, their names were listed in all advertising materials of the tour, based on the roster we guaranteed as an addendum to all contracts with regional show organizers. Furthermore, many organizers spent significant resources for the last minute reprinting of the advertising materials due to the athlete’s sudden refusal to take part in the tour. In the first cities of the tour, where the advertising campaign listing Totmianina/ Marinin started before the athlete’s official refusal, audiences were left with an erroneous impression that the show organizers purposely listed their names to attract audience through lies. This has hurt business reputation of our company.”

Ari Zakaryan reiterated that Totmianina and Marinin will soon receive the official request to reimburse the company for the losses due to their refusal to take part in the “Golden Ice Stradivari” tour.

Thanks for the translation, Ptichka. I suppose it's all in the hands of the lawyers now.

But if I were Plushenko I think I would just write it off to experience and forget it. One monkey don't stop the show.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Leaving his wife because of his obsession with competitive skating, sueing former teammates and friends over a pety matter. I like the guy less and less all the time.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I wonder how uncomfortable it is for Plushenko and T/M since they are touring together right now with COI.

Spirit

On the Ice
Ah, but is Tatiana pregnant?

Is Evgeny?

Those are the real questions.

(Thanks for the translation, Ptichka. :) )

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have never been a fan of Evgeni and this makes me not like him even more!! Thanks for the translation.

When did his marriage break up? Hasn't he only been married for a short time and have a child with his wife? I am so behind!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have never been a fan of Evgeni and this makes me not like him even more!! Thanks for the translation.

When did his marriage break up? Hasn't he only been married for a short time and have a child with his wife? I am so behind!!!
Plushenko's divorce - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/2093.html#cutid1.

Just curious, why do people think Evgeni should just let it go? It's not like Tatiana and Maxim withdrew from the show to take care of their families, or heal from injuries, or even just take a break from skating! They signed up, gave their word, a lot of people depended on them, and then decided that Averbukh's show was more alluring.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I think that there is probably alot more to this story then we will ever know. I just never liked him. In the world of Russian figure skating he always acted like he was the best and I don't think he is.

Again this is just my opinion!!!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
... Just curious, why do people think Evgeni should just let it go? It's not like Tatiana and Maxim withdrew from the show to take care of their families, or heal from injuries, or even just take a break from skating! They signed up, gave their word, a lot of people depended on them, and then decided that Averbukh's show was more alluring.

I don't know anything about Russian law, but in California, Evgeni would have to show how he was damaged by TT/MM pulling out, and this could be extremely difficult to prove, especially since Plushy's show is new. Do you know if some stops on Plushy's tour were cancelled because TT/MM switched shows? Is there a basis (such as comparing ticket sales before switch and after switch for both shows) for concluding that the sales of tickets to Plushy's show were affected?

*Adding Ptichka's livejournal.com to "My Favorites" :) *
Just curious, why do people think Evgeni should just let it go?
I might feel differently about it if it were my money and not Evgeni's, but I would have to ask if it is worth the bitterness, the time and the hassle.

Money is the root of all evil. When your friends disappoint you, well, you are disappointed in them. Don't let it gnaw on you. On to the next project, a little sadder, a little wiser.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm with Math on this one... he's probably burning more bridges than just this one with the way he's handled it... because he's not the only one who they can go to to get the story from... others will/have probably take sides... and that isn't good for anyone either.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I agree with MM and Toni on what he could do. That I believe MIGHT be in his best interest.

But, yes there is almost always one of those with me, I must look back on comments regarding a different topic but similar "action." Will Plushy be sending a message of, "go ahead and treat me like dirt" if he does nothing? Self worth is the only "worth" that truly matters. ?????? *shrugs*

kittyjake5

On the Ice
If T/M breached a signed contract then Plushenko has a legal right to sue them. Of course as attyfan said in order for Plushenko to prevail he will have to prove that he was in fact damaged. People sue for all sort of frivolous reasons. I don't see breach of contract as frivolous. I don't see what Plushenko's personality has to do with the situation, business is business. JMO

Ximena

Final Flight
As far as I know, the tour was actually a success in terms of public attendance, actually I think they even added some dates as the tour went along (even now, in one of COI breaks for next week, Evgeni has four more dates of his tour), but I think the damage is due the cast. It was a weak cast that looked fine when you had two reignings Olympic champions (Plush and TT&MM) and Slutskaya (because Russia adores her), but without TT&MM and Slutskaya not performing always at her best (I assume now because of her pregnancy) it was almost always up to Plush that the show wouldn't look bad. Plush lost Abt to Averbukh because he got him first, so obviously the fact that then he lost TT&MM as well must have hurt him in a personal note, especially considering that TT&MM were in the official press conference of the tour as well as the official photo shoots which I imagine meant that there was a contract already signed.

Also I imagine Tatiana excuse for leaving the show made Evgeni even more upset to pursue legal actions. Tatiana said that they leave to Ilia because she wasn't sure that the tour was sanctioned by the RSF which is a ridiculous excuse considering Plush, Irina and their junior team was in it.

Also there is the other reason why TT&MM may have left the show, of course this is very "unconfirmed-would-be-childish-if-true-rumor" type that was that Evgeni and Tatiana relationship (unconfirmed) ended (abruptuly I imagine) when Plush got himself a new girlfriend (this part is true, he met her during AOI), this rumor sort of showed up due the fact that Maxim even a week or 10 days before the tour started, kept saying they were on it and it was Tatiana the one who suddenly said we're not. So the reason would have been that Tatiana didn't want to see Plush, therefore they left. However, as The Godfather has taught us "it's not personal, it's business" and if there was a contract in the middle, it's a breach of contract.

I wonder how COI is doing for them though, they keep putting Plush next to TT&MM in the opening and closing numbers.

decker

On the Ice
My only opinion on the divorce is that I feel sorry for the child. There are 3 sides to every break-up: his, hers, and the truth. And that goes double for celebrity splits.

As far as the contract dispute, I don't see any show of poor character in conducting one's business in the accepted professional manner. Poor character would be signing a contract and then refusing to fulfill your contractual obligations. Again, *if* that's what happened. I seem to recall that there was some question as to whether a contract was in force.

Susan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think not suing is a sign that he's a push over... just that he's teh bigger person...