Is Takahashi the Favorite for GPF Gold? | Golden Skate

Is Takahashi the Favorite for GPF Gold?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If this belongs in another section, please move it -- but I was thinking that another thread should open to discuss which man (if any) is the favorite for the GPF. After all, one skater there is a two-time World champ (and Oly silver); two others have world medals; and two have won both their GP events this season. While I doubt if there is a strong favorite, Takahashi fits two categories; most skaters fit only only one (if any).

Or, could Keven pull a major upset?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yes Takahashi is the favorite for the GP final.

I think regardless whatever happens at the GP final the picture for worlds in the mens event is extremely incomplete. The GP final is missing Joubert which already makes a huge difference. The GP final is also missing Verner who showed with his NHK performances he is still a threat. Lambiel probably isnt ready for the GP final but it isnt impossible he will be ready for Worlds and a much bigger threat by then. We havent even seen Oda yet this year.

Takahashi, Weir, Lysacek are the only top 3 men present who are on top of their games now. The picture is very incomplete.

Last edited:

MichelleTodd

Rinkside
I agree Takahashi is the favorite at the GPF. The other medals will be won by Weir, Lambiel, or Lysacek, depending on performance or which Lambiel shows up. Chan could medal if two of those three underperform. Van der Perren's presence at the GPF is his "medal". I really can't see him making the podium.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree Takahashi is the favorite at the GPF. The other medals will be won by Weir, Lambiel, or Lysacek, depending on performance or which Lambiel shows up. Chan could medal if two of those three underperform. Van der Perren's presence at the GPF is his "medal". I really can't see him making the podium.

I agree with all of that.

MichelleTodd

Rinkside
I just wanted to add that if "good" Lambiel shows up, Lysacek and Weir will battle it out for the remaining medal. Neither wants to be off the podium at all!

luvsasha

Final Flight
i'm hoping for a "decent" Lambiel to show up, though i would love to see the "good" one. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
KEVIN FOR GOLD!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

:biggrin: I have to say that at this point they've all got a good chance of bombing or rising to the occassion... it's gonna be good....

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
I think any one of these six men can podium at GPF. I think Takahashi, Weir, and Lysacek have a legitimate chance to win. Add Lambiel to that list if he's on his game.

Whatever happens, I have to say it is a great time to be a fan of men's figure skating. So many diverse styles and each appealing in their own way. Truly a buffet with something for everyone. Now, pass the gravy and let's dig in!

Last edited:

OldSkaterMom

Match Penalty
I think any one of these six men can podium at GPF. I think Takahashi, Weir, and Lysacek have a legitimate chance to win. Add Lambiel to that list if he's on his game.

Whatever happens, I have to say it is a great time to be a fan of men's figure skating. So many diverse styles and each appealing in their own way. Truly a buffet with something for everyone. Now, pass the gravy and let's dig in!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think Takahashi and Lysacek have the best chance of winning if their quads are on target. They have the most consistency and the most difficult programs. Lambiel's program is right up there, but with having so much trouble, his track record is not good. But, everyone is right. Who knows which Lambiel will show up. Has he become schizophrenic this season?

No, I have to revise that. Takahasi has not been as conistent with his jumps as Lysacek and Weir. His footwork is great.

Oh, bother. It is going to be a real contest. I think we will all be on the edge of our seats. No one has it all wrapped up. I prefer competitions like that anyway. Much more interesting.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
Takahashi is definitely the fave going into this. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's his to lose, but he's got the most potential to take it. His quad is decent in terms of % landing it, but compared to Lysacek who's also got a decent quad, Takahashi has artistry and superior skating skills. Takahashi also has some of the best choreography of those there. I'd say Lambiel has the best choreo, but considering Swiss Nat's and how bad his jumps have been he may not be able to solely rely on his PCS. Then there's Chan (who I really like) but he's just too fresh to take this, unless there's some major catastrophe. Then there's KVDP, he's a great jumper, but that's about it.

I think Takahashi's major threats are going to be Lysacek and Johnny. If the judges piddle themselves over his Tosca Lysacek will get huge PCS that could help him, however they seem to be more strict this season on those under-rotated jumps and his 3A often his. He's going to have to rely on landing his quad and making sure his 3A is good.

For Johnny he's going to have to hope Lambiel is still a mess (but then again they all will because a good Lambiel will smoke them all) and he's going to have to hope Lysacek gets fair PCS and doesn't land his quad. If that happens then it will be down to him and Takahashi. Once that happens it will be simply about who is the cleanest and if Takahashi lands his quad.

That's all a lot of "but ifs" and "only thens" for someone other than Takahashi to win so yeah I definitely think he's got this thing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

:clap: couldn't agree more!!!!! even though I've always thought mens were most exciting I just love that it's not a given who will win from competition to competition not because they all play zamboni, but because they're all great skaters... :clap: