Could Emily Hughes Skate for Canada Next Year? | Golden Skate

Could Emily Hughes Skate for Canada Next Year?

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Emily has withdrawn from US Nationals due to a hip injury. Four questions:

1. Will this affect the US getting spots for 2009? I think the USA depth is great enough they will maintain the 3.

2. What in the world would Canada do if Joannie and/or Mira withdrew due to injury. Shamefully, we have no back up like the US does. I think we would be toast and down to one spot if either one of the 2 withdrew.

3. With such a vast amount of ladies talent in the USA, will Emily consider skating for Canada next year??:clap::bow: I read that she already has Canadian citizenship (hearsay but it could be true). This could be the only way to get to the 2010 Olympics? If she could skate for Canada at 09 Worlds.........maybe we could earn 3 ladies spots for 2010?:bow::yes::clap:

4. There seems to be a lot of hip injuries in skating lately. Is there any way to more proactively prevent and treat these injuries before they get to a 'no training or needs an operation stage.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
You bring up some interesting questions. Its tragic that this happened to her and I wish her a speedy recovery without the need for surgery.

1) I am afraid that this will affect the US chance for 3 spots for next year, which would be horrible:frown: considering three of the best skaters are all underage this year and I figure it would be exciting/interesting to see how it all played out for the top 3 spots for Worlds in Los Angeles. Especially is Sasha was to return next year too. Which I thought was really ironic considering Sasha, Caroline, Mirai & Bebe are all from the LA area.

I really hope Kimmie, Ashley & ??? can pull it off since they have to have a total 13 to retain those spots. Im going to venture & say it will be Alissa Czisny in the spot over Bebe Liang. Although both are beautiful skaters neither has had an exceptional year. Im not sure what is causing Bebe's inconsitancy, but Alissa's nerves get the best of her, unfortunately. She had a beautiful SP @ NHK but thats about it. When she skates to her starting position, you can read it on her face how she will do. Poor thing.:frown:

2) I would be devestated if Joannie(or Mira) withdrew. That would be such a blowfor Canada retaining 2 spots. Especially Joannie considering she's the best chance for a podium finish out of the two. It would be up to Lesley Hawker & Mira to secure 2 spots for the following year. :frown: If only Cynthia Phaneuf was back to how she was before, it would be no problem then, but she's still gaining ground. Im just happy she's back:clap:

3) As for Emily, I do believe she does have the dual citizenship, although I really dont think she'd use it. Id love for her to though. I also think that it may be her best chance for a return trip to the Olympics. As I really think Kimmie & Emily will have a tough time getting a chance to go back. But as happy as I would be to see Emily getting the chance to do that:clap:, and the fact that it gives Canada 3 spots for the Olympics:rock:, would everyone welcome the idea as a some of us do?

4) I have no idea for this question. Sooo many people have this problem lately, I just dont know what would prevent it. :frown:

Heres hoping NOONE else is injured or sick for Nationals, 4CCs Europeans, or Worlds!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
To be completely honest, I actually dont feel like this'll effect the Americans 3 spots. Why? For some gut reason, and from what was shown over the GP, I think Ashley Wagner would have been stronger than Emily at worlds anyways.

Heres to sending good luck to Wagner!

Winnipeg

Final Flight
What if anything does this have to do with Canadian Nationals?:scowl:

:sheesh::sheesh::eek:hwell:Sorry Ben, I put it here because I was pondering whether Emily could compete for Canada at next year's Natinals and help us get 3 spots for 2010.....................................

If site admin wants to move, feel free.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:sheesh::sheesh::eek:hwell:Sorry Ben, I put it here because I was pondering whether Emily could compete for Canada at next year's Natinals and help us get 3 spots for 2010.....................................

If site admin wants to move, feel free.

I understood what you were talking about Winnipeg;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having not gone to Worlds 2008, Emily could ostensibly compete at Canadian Nationals 2009 and if she beat Mira Leung (which she did at Skate America 2007), represent Canada at Worlds 2009. Whether or not this would lead to Canada getting 3 spots for 2010 is debatable.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I personally don't think Emily will bring Canada 3 spots, if she jumps boats. She may help Canada hold on to 2 spots to Vancouver.

Winnipeg,

This is a good thread - you certainly posed very interesting questions. I just need to put my thoughts together and write my answers down.

Last edited:

Ben

Rinkside
What makes you think the US would release her????? So quit fantasizing and let's concentrate on our Canadian athletes.

bruises

Rinkside
USFS doesn't need to release her. If she doesn't compete 2008 US Nationals (and she's not), then she can compete for another country.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily can compete for Canada because she is a Canadian citizen and is not subject to the USFS refusal to release her. The USFS can't stop her from competing for Canada (but could stop her skating for Britain or France, for example).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Shouldn't this topic be under US Nationals? I know Emily Hughes' father is Canadian, but she does not skate for Canada. Kind of strange to find a topic about a US skater under Canadian Nationals.

Oh by the way, when I saw the topic - Emily Hughes withdraws, I thought you were talking about the Canadians.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i am not sure if a skater can just "swich" over to another country. I think that they would have to take that country's tests and she would have to relocate there, somthing she won't be willing to do once she started Harvard.

Medulla_PT

Spectator
Hello everyone! It's my first post here. I'm portuguese, and my english it's not very good, but i will try to participate.

Emily, it's a good skater, but, with new skaters like mirai nagasu and carolina zhang, will be very difficult to emily qualifes to the worlds and olympics.

But, they (carolina, kimmie, mirai and emily) probably have another problems, the probably return of Sasha and Kwan. I believe in that return.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Canada and the USA have always had a reciprocal agreement whereby skaters who have their Gold test in one country, can try the same Gold test in the other without passing all the qualifying tests....ie gold freeskate in US can try gold freeskate in Canada.

Also, in Canada anyone can try any level of competitive test without passing the previous test. This was done to allow skaters to enter the competitive system at any point, particularly dance or pairs partners. Kaitlyn Weaver (2008 Cdn senior dance silver medalist) , Augie Hill( 2008 8th Cdns senior dance), and Kevin OKeefe (2008 6th Cdn Senior Dance)are a few recent examples of American skaters who tried their Canadian senior competitive dance in order to compete this year at Cdn's.

The senior competitive freeskate test is much harder to pass in Canada but that wouldn't be a problem for Emily.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The senior competitive freeskate test is much harder to pass in Canada but that wouldn't be a problem for Emily.

If it's so much harder, then how is it that the most of the Canadian Senior ladies at Nationals couldn't even make the cut as Juniors to US Nationals?

Many of our NOVICE ladies outscored the Canadian Seniors.