2023 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
i think i put SD/D B/G. P/S, and both Canadian teams... so i guess it's a long shot at this point for L/E.
They're 5 points behind 3rd, and G/M did not have a good Free at their last competition but yes, it won't be easy. Really, the only discipline 5 points are almost impossible to bridge is ice dance, so everything is possible. 🤔

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It seems I really need to see Maddie Schizas long program. And I'm hoping that Lindsay Thorngren's program is uploaded too: are the URs really that bad? I'd like to check out the landings.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Lots of impressive performances today. Just goes to show, you can lose the competition in the short program. Maddie would have been on the podium but for it. Still, in spite of that, she already looks 100 times better than she did last season, and her programs are much better. Hopefully the short was just first grand prix of the season jitters.

They say you cannot really win the competition with your SP alone (there were exceptions though - Patrick Chan, cough, cough) but you can definitely lose it. Even moreso when you consider that judges like to lowball PCS of even great skaters in earlier flights.

lunastartron

Rinkside
It seems I really need to see Maddie Schizas long program. And I'm hoping that Lindsay Thorngren's program is uploaded too: are the URs really that bad? I'd like to check out the landings.
No, Lindsay’s URs were not bad enough for Maddie to make up a 4+ point deficit. Maddie delivered a strong performance today but the judging panel decidedly wanted to prop her up imo, particularly with her out scoring Kim and Rino.

readernick

Medalist
The calls for Lindsay were correct. But, I would say I thought the technical panel had two favorites here. Kaori who is World Champion and we know World Champions get favors. Calling Rino’s flat edge lutz and everyone’s flips and ignoring her obvious in real time flutz was a choice.

The second was Maddie who definitely got some home scoring favors too. Didn’t get her lutz called or her URs called in either SP or FS and should not be above Lindsay here given the SP. But, it is what it is and Maddie had a good FS. Good for her but I have some comments for the technical panel.

rain

Record Breaker
They say you cannot really win the competition with your SP alone (there were exceptions though - Patrick Chan, cough, cough) but you can definitely lose it. Even moreso when you consider that judges like to lowball PCS of even great skaters in earlier flights.
Yup. I can't help but think she might have even scored higher if she'd been in the final group. And if she'd been in the top 3 after the short it's almost a certainty. The COP was supposed to stop the practice of "leaving room" for later skaters, but it hasn't.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Impressed with Maddie honestly. We all know how capable she is but after the SP, I was really underwhelmed for her.

From 8th to 4th is quite an achievement in this field.

Kaori = I love her flow and speed so much. Though I do not like the LP that much, I cannot wait to see her in Montreal after being denied with the ACI change of schedule... UGH.

Rino, lovely skating. nice for her to get a bronze after being called in as a sub.

C. Kim = held on to her silver with a brilliant SP yesterday. I really dislike the music so I will have to watch her skating again but congrats to her.

Kaiya and Sara-Maude need more opportunities to compete to get more confident.

A bit disappointed with all three American women who did much better in the SP yesterday than in this LP.

Rinka = loved her dress. Bring back your 3a and stand out please.
Impressed with Maddie indeed. She would have had a few more points if she didn't skate so early. I think Ruiter might be Canada's second bet hope and then Josee Chouinard's daughter Fiona - hopefully she will not have the difficulties her mom had mentally. Ruiter really is trying difficult stuff in the fs for example she goes for two triple lutzes and two triple flips. IN the end Kaori was in a class of her own love or hate her music selections. Kim and Rino were nice but not stellar. I expected or thought we might see Shin or Lindsey on the podium surprised they did so poorly for them. Good to see Starr compete after all her issues.

Reactions: ana

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have yet to see the performances, however, seeing Starr finish below the other US, is truly shocking.

discodisco

On the Ice
No, Lindsay’s URs were not bad enough for Maddie to make up a 4+ point deficit. Maddie delivered a strong performance today but the judging panel decidedly wanted to prop her up imo, particularly with her out scoring Kim and Rino.
Check again. Yes, Lyndsay's UR's and overall jump quality was inferior to Schizas. Watch again, and pay attention to when the rotation is finished, as well as the flow in and out. Maddie was on with the jump quality today. Watch the curve out of the jump. Try to gauge the distance she covers, the speed of the exit, and the smoothness/depth of the edge. If you watch for that, you'll see that there was no comparison in jump quality. Thorngren has great air position though, and is fantastic for her age. Needs to settle into the ice on the landings though, and work on the glide.

re: Kim and Rino - watch again. Look at jump height. Not high at all. Look at the lazy ankles on landing. Kim rotates ridiculously fast for sure - very impressive! But in terms of the quality of the jumps, I'd have had Shizas over the other two.

I also thought she was underscored in terms of PCS. Her ice coverage was notably improved, and her expression was really top-notch.

That said, I'm a sucker for Nella Fantasia (Gabriel's Oboe from the Mission), and thought Rino's program was gorgeous.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Kaori’s program is made for a mature skater. The music and costume gives me vibes of ladies spending a night out at a jazzy, soulful club with music that is sexy mature. She is really growing into the program and showing she is a woman growing artistically.

discodisco

On the Ice
My technical rescore, poor Lindsay
Chaeyoun: 39+68=107
Kaori: 36+68=104
Lindsay: 31+68=99
Maddie: 26+70=96
Rino: 32+58=90
Interesting. Based on what?

Chaeyoun was cute and spins like a top. But the jumps were not particularly impressive overall. No way 11 points above Schizas. Skating is much more scratching vs. gliding (Kaori(, and edges far shallower.

discodisco

On the Ice
Kaori’s program is made for a mature skater. The music and costume gives me vibes of ladies spending a night out at a jazzy, soulful club with music that is sexy mature. She is really growing into the program and showing she is a woman growing artistically.
Agree