Emily Hughes Could Petition To The World Team | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes Could Petition To The World Team

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I just read an article on icenetwork that because Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, and Rachael Flatt are age-ineligible, Should more than one of these girls make the podium. Hughes may have a shot at petitioning to the world team

I think she should go for it. What do you think?

I doubt if such a petition would be successful. If Ashley Wagner and Alissa Czisny (or Bebe Liang) skate well but get fourth or fifth, Emily would have to convince USFS that she is a better choice for the World team than these skaters, despite Emily's recent injuries.

The one person we haven't heard from is Emily. I would be surprised if she has any intention of petitioning anyone this year.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I doubt if such a petition would be successful. If Ashley Wagner and Alissa Czisny (or Bebe Liang) skate well but get fourth or fifth, Emily would have to convince USFS that she is a better choice for the World team than these skaters, despite Emily's recent injuries.

The one person we haven't heard from is Emily. I would be surprised if she has any intention of petitioning anyone this year.

Like I said, It's a possibility and you are right. It is all up to her whether she wants to pursue this or not

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
"Will the circle be unbroken, bye and bye Lord, bye and bye"?

Actually, Emily could petition regardless of who makes the podium; IIRC, she would have to send her petition in before the end of the ladies FS. However, her chances of getting it granted will jump dramatically if someone on the podium is age-inelgibile.

An age-ineligible skater on the podium is also likely to reduce dramatically any flak that Emily might have gotten for petitioning and depriving a spot on the team to a skater "who earned it" (remember what happened to Michelle when she petitioned?) especially since the flak would already be reduced because it is only Worlds, not Olys.

If, however, I was one of the affected skaters, I would be a little creeped out -- because losing a spot so another skater to have a bye is like a prediction of injury

R.D.

Record Breaker
No, I don't think she should. But it's her choice.

It really depends on who ends up getting on that podium though. If Czisny or Liang ends up being part of the "preliminary team" then she could try to bump one of them off. If BOTH end up being on the preliminary team I'd say that's when she might have the best shot at a spot. But she (EH) has to be healthy enough to do a "test skate" or whatever to prove that she is better than the incumbents.

As for backlash, well, Kwan petitioned two years ago and guess who was the one to get "screwed" (initially, of course)? So I would think that EH wouldn't really care that much about who gets "screwed" due to her petition should it be successful.

But if she is going to do the spring semester at harvard I say just go ahead with that and forget about skating this season. Unlike a few others, she has a lot to fall back on, and for that reason I find it tougher than usual to feel sorry for her.

EDIT: Oh! This thread title is misleading. I thought you actually meant she was CONSIDERING petitioning for the world team. Well in that case, the first two sentences in the above response stand. I don't think she will, and I don't think she will be in the necessary condition to be considerably more competitive than whoever actually ends up going.

Last edited:

fenway

On the Ice
Anything's possible of course but I just have a hard time believing that she would try to petition. Like it's already been said, she's a busy girl with a lot to fall back on. I don't think missing worlds, as hard as it is for her I'm sure, is the end all. If this were the Olympics or something, then I think it would be a different story but the way things stand, I doubt she'll go for it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When i first head of emily's injury and withdrawal, I imediatly suggested that she petition for worlds, but like others here, i doubt that she will do it. She has yet to prove that she is the kind of skaters that could secure a good place for the US at worlds dispite better placement it would be a tough argument that she is the better skater than alissa, bebe, Ashley etc. If she had been national champ last year, or medaled at worlds the year before I would assume that USFSA would give her a bye. Neither of theses things being true however, emily will probaby sit this one out.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
If its a question of securing three spots for next year, I'd love to see Emily petition for a world's spot... I'm sorry, but I don't really see BeBe or Alyissa performing well enough at the world level and not familiar enough with Ashley's skating to really have an opinion on her talent level.

Working on the assumption that 1-10 aren't going to be different names, just where they shake out - and I'd bet on Emily to move up vs. move down in placements... mainly because I'm still waiting on her to have that magical skate where she's clean... something that I don't see Alyissa or BeBe having even though it would be nice for them to compete at Worlds - espcially BeBe since she hasn't gone...

But I doubt Emily would petition for the spot...

I just hope that Nationals produces such awesome performances, that we can simply miss seeing Emily at Nationals & Worlds without the angst of "if only..."

tae04

On the Ice
I totally agree with Kwanford, Emily should petition. I highly doubt Csizny or Liang would make the top 10 at Worlds, and Emily would do much better at securing that like she has other years placing well. This is if Emily is healthy. Worst thing would be to only have 2 spots and having all the young ladies eligible next yr and possibly Cohen returning.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily is currently 100% off the ice because of her hip injury, and she is not allowed to practice again until the last week of February at the earliest.

She is in no position to petition for a spot on the World team, because it is highly unlikely that she would be physically able to compete after being completely off the ice for six weeks, and then having only 3 weeks to get back in shape before Worlds.

She would have to PHYSICALLY demonstrate to a committee that she can skate a short and a long program equal to or better than those skated by the top finishing eligible ladies at Nationals.

I don't see how she would be able to do that, under the circumstances.

Anyway, if Ashley Wagner is named for the World team, we don't need Emily. Ashley had a FS score of 108.15 and won a medal in the GP, and Emily went medalless.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Emily is currently 100% off the ice because of her hip injury, and she is not allowed to practice again until the last week of February at the earliest.

She is in no position to petition for a spot on the World team, because it is highly unlikely that she would be physically able to compete after being completely off the ice for six weeks, and then having only 3 weeks to get back in shape before Worlds.

She would have to PHYSICALLY demonstrate to a committee that she can skate a short and a long program equal to or better than those skated by the top finishing eligible ladies at Nationals.

I don't see how she would be able to do that, under the circumstances.

Anyway, if Ashley Wagner is named for the World team, we don't need Emily. Ashley had a FS score of 108.15 and won a medal in the GP, and Emily went medalless.

I get that... I was simply saying that I'm fearful of the US not retaining the three spots based on what I know of the age elible senior ladies and not having enough exposure to Ashley's skating... Alyssa did amazingly well on the GP circuit a few years ago and look at her past placements... Its hard to judge new skaters on the GP circuit because they all feed on the "oh wow! how cool is this?!?" factor... you can only see where their heads are at during the major competitions: nationals, worlds, euros... So I'm withholding judgement on Ashley until Saturday night. But if she's as good or better than fans on boards are indicating then great... but if she's not... then who can step up in that third spot?

Worlds just looks safer for the US if we had three, strong, competitive skaters on the scene and without Emily we simply don't.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I get that... I was simply saying that I'm fearful of the US not retaining the three spots based on what I know of the age elible senior ladies and not having enough exposure to Ashley's skating... Alyssa did amazingly well on the GP circuit a few years ago and look at her past placements... Its hard to judge new skaters on the GP circuit because they all feed on the "oh wow! how cool is this?!?" factor... you can only see where their heads are at during the major competitions: nationals, worlds, euros... So I'm withholding judgement on Ashley until Saturday night. But if she's as good or better than fans on boards are indicating then great... but if she's not... then who can step up in that third spot?

Worlds just looks safer for the US if we had three, strong, competitive skaters on the scene and without Emily we simply don't.
Ashley Wagner is not Alissa. Alissa had maybe 2/3 if you count Nationals where she screwed up the short good competitions her entire senior career. I don't think Alissa ever made the JGPF, and Alissa never medaled at Junior Worlds. Alissa's jump technique is seriously questionable.
In contrast, Ashley does not have Alissa's polish but she is extremely consistent. Ashley averaged 6 triple jumps as a Junior last year (sometimes 7 when she hit her 3/3 sequence) She medaled at the JGPF and Junior Worlds last year (and one both of her JGPF events) She also has two medals at Junior Nationals. Ashley is an extremely consistent skater and she averaged 6 triple jumps in the Senior Grand Prix this year as well.

Ashley couldn't be more different from Czisny.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner is not Alissa. Alissa had maybe 2/3 if you count Nationals where she screwed up the short good competitions her entire senior career. I don't think Alissa ever made the JGPF, and Alissa never medaled at Junior Worlds. Alissa's jump technique is seriously questionable.
In contrast, Ashley does not have Alissa's polish but she is extremely consistent. Ashley averaged 6 triple jumps as a Junior last year (sometimes 7 when she hit her 3/3 sequence) She medaled at the JGPF and Junior Worlds last year (and one both of her JGPF events) She also has two medals at Junior Nationals. Ashley is an extremely consistent skater and she averaged 6 triple jumps in the Senior Grand Prix this year as well.

Ashley couldn't be more different from Czisny.

Excellent! Very cool... And like I said, I wasn't that familiar with Ashley's skating and her record. Not a big follower of the junior circuit with the exception of Mirai, Zhang and Flatt.

As for Ashley vs. Alyssa - I wasn't actually comparing the two skaters, just giving an example of how I personally look at the GP Circuit and how those placements don't always indicate a person's performance level at major competitions...

Last year we had Kimmie (4th), Emily (9th / 10th) and Alyssa somewhere in the high teens... This year we have Kimmie, Ashley and three really talented skaters who aren't old enough to go with Be Be & Alyssa thrown in with a possible spoiler... Who is that 3rd skater that could be depended on to really bring at Worlds? IMO Emily is a better bet than just about anybody I can think of...

Oh well... at any rate - I can always dream of a strong 08 US Worlds Team, right?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny that Emily felt deprived because Kwan petitioned for the Olympic team, but she has no problem depriving someone else of the chance to go to Worlds. It isn't as if Emily was a 9-time US Champion, 5-time World Champion and two-time Olympic medal winner. Since skating as a Senior, she has won one bronze medal in a Junior event (Junior Worlds 2005), one bronze medal in the 2006-2007 GP, and a 2007 4CC silver medal. This season, she finished 4th in both GP events because many of her jumps were downgraded. And that was BEFORE she was injured.

IMO, Emily would add nothing special to the team. Ashley Wagner is a consistent skater who in her first season in the GP did win a medal. Ashley and Kimmie should do fine at Worlds together. Since only the top two scores count towards determining the spots for next year, and it is doubtful that Emily could outfinish either Kimmie or Ashley, there is no compelling reason to substitute Emily for the third skater, whoever she is.

Then there is the question of Emily's physical ability to perform at Worlds. She withdrew from US Nationals about 10 days ago, saying that her injury would keep her off practice ice for 4 to 6 weeks. Worlds starts in a little over 7 weeks from now. If Emily is unable to practice until 2-3 weeks before the start of Worlds, after so long a period off, how could she possibly be ready for Worlds? She is still in Harvard, and her practice time would still be just as limited as ever.

I hate to say it, but I think Emily didn't want to do Nationals because it falls just a week after her exams, and she wasn't prepared. But she feels entitled to be on the World team because she was on the 2006 and 2007 teams, hence the petition.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Emily has always been a strong and pleasant skater. However, new comers like Ashley has already delivered a much more impressive performance and medaling record for the last two season. Looking from the past records, Kimmie and Ashley will have a much better chance to secure US's spots than Kimmie and Emily.

Funny that Emily felt deprived because Kwan petitioned for the Olympic team, but she has no problem depriving someone else of the chance to go to Worlds.
Why do you think Emily has no problem with that? Has Emily said anything about petitioning anyone for anything?
But she feels entitled to be on the World team because she was on the 2006 and 2007 teams, hence the petition.
What petition? Have you heard something I haven't heard? Why do you think that Emily feels entitled to be on the 2008 World team?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Thanks Mathman! I read that post and was totally confused. I have been searching all the boards looking for news of Emily having petitioned. I can't find anything to indicate that a petition has been filed.

I think it's a little out of line to be putting down Emilly's motives for something she may not have done. Besides if you think Kwan was entitled to petition, if you think anyone is entitled to petition, why would Emily be evil for doing so? Petitions can be turned down, if they aren't considered merited.

I just can't see Emily petitioning this year. It's true that it could be a move to keep herself out there and "jockey" for future positions, but only if she delivers. If she were to petition and flub it, then she's toast. She would be in better shape staying out of it this year and making a fresh run for it next year.

Plus, the Hughes' family have always shown good sense and good priorities. I don't think that they are stupid enough to risk Emily's future health and well being for another trip to Worlds.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
1. Emily hasn't said anything at all about a petition... this is simply fan speculation.

2. Emily has consistantly gotten great placements at major competitions, so I wouldn't exactly say she's a has been who couldn't be counted on to perform under pressure.

3. Skaters come and go, so I'm always amused at how quickly fans will annoint someone after one season and declare a more experienced skater as disposable.

4. From all accounts, Emily wasn't suprised that Kwan won her petition and didn't hold bitter feelings about initially being bumped from the Olympic team.

5. Its always in the best interest of the US to send three really strong competitors to worlds vs. simply saying: well so & so is better than that one, so we don't need her.

6. Technically, based on past performance against the age elible skaters at nationals competing for that third spot - Emily is a better
competitor with a better record - so, if she was to petition (which she has not indicated in anyway...) she would be entitled to do so, based on the rules set forth by the USFSA...

7. My son would love to see TaDa and according to him its a waste of a competition if she's not there because its all about him...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily finished 7th at the 2006 Olympics, 8th at 2006 Worlds and 9th at 2007 Worlds. Those are decent--but not great--placements. This season, Emily seems to have lost consistency with the lutz and flip, and has been substituting the salchow for one or both of those jumps. Even then, the salchow fails her sometimes when it comes to full rotation. Since Emily doesn't have a loop, that means her jump repertoire is more limited than a 'lesser' skater like Katrina Hacker, who has all the jumps except the lutz.

I just don't see what extra value Emily would bring to the table given that (a) she is injured (b) she will have been off the ice for a long period and (c) because of limited practice time while in college, she is not the skater she used to be in past seasons. I'd rather see Katrina Hacker and/or Ashley Wagner get a crack at competing at Worlds.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
All this arguing over nothing. :sheesh: Emily is most likely studying hard, taking exams, attending beer parties, sleeping late, and maybe juggling a few boyfriends. She has as much chance of going to Sweden right now as I do. So why don't we give the girl a break and let her enjoy her freshman year?