2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Short Program | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Short Program

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Question if Isabeau Levitovmedals would she be the first American woman to medal in her world debut? Is their another skater? I think Ilia Malinin would be second or did the men in from 1950- 1960 medal in their debut? Didn't the Kennedy's medal in their world debut also?
Ilia competed at senior Worlds last season, and was 9th, if I remember right.

In looking things up, Dick Button won a silver at his first Worlds.

I haven't come up with any woman yet, but I also haven't looked through them all.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As usual, Loena treated with loving kindness by the panel/judges. Anyone else would have been spanked more thoroughly by the panel/judges for that combo mistake, and lower PCS. Bah.

ETA: They badly wanted her in the last flight for the FS.
Sadly, I have to agree....

Reactions: liv

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Though is pains me to say this, Peacock did a good job. No one talked who though the sound of their own voice was more important than the skaters' performances. Quality was excellent and the Japanese did their usual high level of photography and video switching and stats. You could even here the nose a skate blade protector makes when it is put on.
The best part was waking up at 3 am for the last two groups, I could quickly and easily go watch Amber and Bradie and Chaeyeon before Madeline at 3:24:50
Its been a long grueling season and for Kaori, Haein and Mai to deliver those short programs was :clap:
Kaori has now blown past champion , through legend, to Goddess....in a world where skater life expenctancy has dramatically fallen. :bow:
Feel free to chose your own Goddess.
They all deserve me to drag my butt out of bed at Oh dark thirty and watch the Lady's Free.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Thank you 😊 for reminding me. That is one if the reasons I looked forward to her future and next it skater. That why I am sad she retired, but happy that Alysa chose something else and moved on. I wonder if Gretchen Merill medal in her debut.

How quickly they forget. Alysa Liu won bronze in her only World Championship in 2022.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am going to throw up my dinner now, I don't think I'll be able to watch live tomorrow (stupid real life and work) so I trust you all to cheer for my darling for me. Thank you all for keeping me company, love you all
We got your back...Seeing Haein win four conts live was one of the major high points for me this season, but I also love Yelim, Chaeyeon and many others I saw at Korean nats....

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC has posted Isabeau's SP on YouTube.

I don't know if others are there or not, this one just popped up in my feed.

You know you want Tara and Johnny's take, don't you?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If you only have one skater you need to be in the top 3 I believe; 2 or more skaters the total placements of your top two skaters must be 13 or less in total. Ie 1 and 12 or 4 and 7 are all under 13.
I think it is top 2 to get 3 spots if you have only one skater/pair.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Say anything you like about Isabeau. The girl doesn't beat herself. She's been consistent all season and if her coaches can fix her posture, which is great until she sets up for a jump. She's a beautiful young lady and with Alysa retiring, it's a good thing we have Isabeau to fill her shoes.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
NBC has posted Isabeau's SP on YouTube.

I don't know if others are there or not, this one just popped up in my feed.

You know you want Tara and Johnny's take, don't you?

I've been avoiding NBC b/c am afraid that being in Japan will create an excuse for even more Nagano reminiscences from Tara. ;)

*remembers good manners, smacks self*

OK, no more snark from me today. Pinky promise!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I am going to throw up my dinner now, I don't think I'll be able to watch live tomorrow (stupid real life and work) so I trust you all to cheer for my darling for me. Thank you all for keeping me company, love you all
Will be cheering very hard! ❤️

icybear

Medalist
Say anything you like about Isabeau. The girl doesn't beat herself. She's been consistent all season and if her coaches can fix her posture, which is great until she sets up for a jump. She's a beautiful young lady and with Alysa retiring, it's a good thing we have Isabeau to fill her shoes.
The hunched over look going into her jumps is not pretty to look at. Also the way she constantly holds her arms out straight in a scarecrow position even when there is no arm choreo going on.

Demandred

On the Ice
Kaori was fantastic, I am so happy she was able to do this in front of her home crowd.

Haein was also really good. She looked so confident out there and had a beautiful skate.

Loena was great outside of the jump mistake. I will miss that program of hers.

Isabeau's mental toughness is impressive, she never seems to be phased by the moment. Her jumps aren't pretty, but she lands them very consistently and her program is quite impressive outside of this.

Niina Petrokina's performance was the most enjoyable for me after Kaori's. She skates with so much power and her choreography is quite original. Good to see her finally skating clean at the biggest event of the season.

Carol Heiss almost made the medal-on-the-first try list. She got fourth at the 1953 worlds at age thirteen, later won 5 world championships.

Rodnina and Ulanov won world gold on their first try in 1968 and went on to win three more. Then Rodnina and Zaitsev won at their first worlds in 1973, the firrst of 6.