Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Yet another case of judging controversy, huh? Can't wait to see Kimmie's & Carolina's protocols. BTW, I'm beginning to think PCS is for Pitiful Carolina's got Saved again. No offense to Carolina fans.

L

LKR722

Totally agree with you, buddy :agree:

Yes it does. The only jump Kimmie has a history of getting dinged for is the triple toe on the back half of a triple-triple combination. Usually she can get within a quarter turn of everything else, no problem. And if not, she'll have one UR, but multiple URs in a clean program? Weird. I don't have any conspiracy theories, I just think it sucks. There are many, MANY times when people get away with slightly cheated jumps. If you are going to be strict with one person, be strict with everyone.

I totally agree as well.:thumbsup: It seems like the judges are determined to call URs for certain skaters. They give the benefit of the doubt to some skaters and not others. Obviously the judging is still corrupt. I hope Kimmie comes out fighting mad tomorrow.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Yet another case of judging controversy, huh? Can't wait to see Kimmie's & Carolina's protocols. BTW, I'm beginning to think PCS is for Pitiful Carolina's got Saved again. No offense to Carolina fans.

I have to agree, some how I know that Speedy has something to do with this. He has been the biggest 'supporter' of Carolin's career since before Torino, and since he hires the judges and is the head of the ISU....

SXTN

Final Flight

Just get over it ! ... BTW, what about sasha cohen's PCS at the Olympics 2006 or worlds 2006? At that time, PCS were probably " If you have any Problems, Sasha, you Can always come and talk to uS " :)

Tenorguy

On the Ice
I don't want to press Kimmie down, I really like her spirit and her personality, but I also have to say after watching the video of the SP I believe she was marked appropriately IMHO and I am definitely not a COP expert like many on this esteemed board.

I tuned in and for some reason the sound was not working on the SP feed, so I watched without sound. What a difference sound makes..... Kimmie seemed incredibly slow, sluggish and her elements appeared level 1 and 2.

Examples: the way she drops the free leg before the donut spin - very sloppy looking.
- She doesn't appear to hold her spiral for the length required and how shaky it looked.
- The footwork section seemed very basic, slow, undeveloped. Definitely level 1 skill level (maybe 2 but that is stretching it).
- She travels alot on her spins.
- the prep for her 3loop was labored and ended in an unremarkable jump.
- Uninteresting ending to her program.

I don't think I'm nitpicking here - I believe she just does not have the content or technique that the top ladies have and that her basic skating skills have deteriorated. I compared her program to Fumie and to me, Kimmie just is not "fleet" any longer. Is it me, or does she seem muscle-bound? Especially her upper legs (the quads) look big to me. Just my take....

Medusa

Record Breaker
BTW, what about sasha cohen's PCS at the Olympics 2006 or worlds 2006? At that time, PCS were probably " If you have any Problems, Sasha, you Can always come and talk to uS " :)
Good one!

I am not even a fan of Kostner, but all this "the poor US-Americans are always the dissed and bashed underdogs" gets really tired. And inspires me to root for Kostner.

Plus - the ladies' competition was lame! It was one generic program after another, Kostner was actually quite entertaining compared to the others. Suguri is my sentimental favourite, but apart from that the only positive things about her program were that she didn't fall and didn't have lyrical music. Meissner was bleh, Flatt was bleh, Glebova was bleh, the only thing about Sebestyen that amazes me is the height she gets on her jumps. I really don't think that Czisny is the second coming either because she looked slow and tentative and her skating skills aren't in any way outstanding in my opionion - but, yeah, she is flexible, and yes, she is a very pretty princess with a very nice smile.

Did anybody else notice that the only ladies (Rochette and Kim), who won Grand Prix events so far, were the ones with upbeat and interesting music, with daring presentation and dramatic choreography? And not the pretty soft princesses in their baby blue dresses skating to some dull lullaby?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker

I thought PCS stand for Patrick Chan Scores.

CalebsMom

Rinkside
I don't want to press Kimmie down, I really like her spirit and her personality, but I also have to say after watching the video of the SP I believe she was marked appropriately IMHO

I also think Kimmie's marks are quite appropriate but still feel quite troubled with Carolina's inflated score.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This is so insane. I did not see the performances but it seems like all the american girls are being killed by this under rotation call. I am beinging to feel that Some countries are calling the shots here... bribes i don't know... but funny how every little imperfection is caught when the americans are up compared with skaters from other countries.

SXTN

Final Flight
but still feel quite troubled with Carolina's inflated score.

so tell me who deseverd higher PCS in this competition and please give reasons!

By the way: I think everybody was shocked by meissner's low score... but this is the game... some win and others lose...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why do these arguments always come down to what countries one likes or dislikes? let's get back to the skating and stop slinging insults at each others homes or favorite skaters?

Penny

On the Ice
why not a 2.5

Why not give credit for a nice but under-rotated triple as a 2.5. This would allow those who can do a proper 3 jump to get full credit. Those who do a 2 would get credit for a 2, and those with a "close but no cigar" 3 would get less credit than a 3 but not a total downgrade to a 2.

Just a thought

Medusa

Record Breaker
This is so insane. I did not see the performances but it seems like all the american girls are being killed by this under rotation call. I am beinging to feel that Some countries are calling the shots here... bribes i don't know... but funny how every little imperfection is caught when the americans are up compared with skaters from other countries.
Don't you think that the second statement in your sentence should exclude you from making any comments on this till you have actually changed the fact that you haven't seen the performances? But I get it, you haven't seen anything so far but you are quite sure that even if you saw it, you would still think it is a conspiracy. Sounds so rational to me.

So what to expect tomorrow? I don't think Suguri will win this, after all she only landed 4 Triples at Skate Canada - and even if Kostner lands 6 messy Triples and falls on one, Kostner will be above Suguri. My money is actually on Flatt, I said it at Skate America and I say it again: her free program has potential, it is interesting and different - and if she puts down 5 to 6 clean Triples and good Axels and Kostner has a normal day (meaning: no more than 3 clean Triples) - Flatt should win this and perhaps even make the GPF.

gold12345

Medalist
Just get over it ! ... BTW, what about sasha cohen's PCS at the Olympics 2006 or worlds 2006? At that time, PCS were probably " If you have any Problems, Sasha, you Can always come and talk to uS " :)

I agree Sasha sometimes got inflated PCS. But what does that have to do with Kostner getting overscored left and right? Sasha's not even around anymore.

As for the comments from another poster that Kimmie's short program ending is "uninteresting", her free leg in one of her spins is sloppy, etc... to me that is nitpicking. We could tear every single ladies short in this field down like that and find things wrong or things we do not like. She got some of the highest PCS, so the judges must not have agreed that she was "slow and sluggish".

Okay, whatever. Hopefully tomorrow she has better luck and holds her spirals and crap longer. I hope she's not feeling too down about this.

SXTN

Final Flight
but funny how every little imperfection is caught when the americans are up compared with skaters from other countries.

Of course.... Just to remind you: UR-Queen Sarah Hughes won the olympics in 2002 and Sasha Cohen was on the podium in both the olympics and worlds 2006 with more than three major errors in the program... I think you just have to face the truth: there will be no medal for american ladies in the world championships 2009, no medal in 2010 as well as no medal in the olympics in 2010. unless kimmie will have a comeback.. the rest doesn't even have a slight chance...

ks777

Record Breaker
Of course.... Just to remind you: UR-Queen Sarah Hughes won the olympics in 2002 and Sasha Cohen was on the podium in both the olympics and worlds 2006 with more than three major errors in the program... I think you just have to face the truth: there will be no medal for american ladies in the world championships 2009, no medal in 2010 as well as no medal in the olympics in 2010. unless kimmie will have a comeback.. the rest doesn't even have a slight chance...

In 2002 Olympics, Sasha only fell on the 3lutz/3toe and in 2006 Olympics, I thought she fell twice. What was her other major mistakes?

lmarie086

Medalist
Did anybody else notice that the only ladies (Rochette and Kim), who won Grand Prix events so far, were the ones with upbeat and interesting music, with daring presentation and dramatic choreography? And not the pretty soft princesses in their baby blue dresses skating to some dull lullaby?

I noticed that as well; that may well be why they have my two favorite SPs this season. I can only take so much of nice, soft music until I want something passionate and/or loud with energy behind it.

As to the whole UR thing, sadly some of the American ladies are somewhat known for underrotating and so their jumps will be looked at extra closely IMO. Now, with Kimmie today the weird thing is I did think the 2A was a bit short, but I didn't really notice anything on the other jumps. Her spins were not centered and looked slow, and her spirals could have been held longer, so the level 1s aren't entirely a surprise.

I still think Carolina's score was too high for the performance she gave. She fell, and she put a hand down on another jump, so I thought her TES was too high. And I just never really enjoy watching her; she's got great speed obviously and flies around the rink (which is where the high PCS come from I think) but I find her a bit lacking in elegance in the way she uses her upper body (IMO).

CalebsMom

Rinkside
so tell me who deseverd higher PCS in this competition and please give reasons!

By the way: I think everybody was shocked by meissner's low score... but this is the game... some win and others lose...

I didn't say anyone deserved higher PCS in this competition, nor was shocked by Kimmie's low score. I just said I was troubled with her inflated marks; her PCS was twenty-sevenish but should've been around 25 as Suguri's, if you will.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I thought PCS stand for Patrick Chan Scores.
:laugh: My favorite post in the entire thread!

Even though I'm not much of a Kimmie fan, I understand why people would be outraged with her scores. We can argue whether her UR(s) are there or not, but I think what is more frustrating is when a skater like Kimmie today gets called on them, but other skaters who have clearly more underrotated jumps get a pass. That is what gets me a little frustrated.

I hope the top 3 SP standings stay the same in the FS.

SXTN

Final Flight
In 2002 Olympics, Sasha only fell on the 3lutz/3toe and in 2006 Olympics, I thought she fell twice. What was her other major mistakes?

Let's just drop it. I was angry that it's always the same skaters who get bashed over and over again... Figure skating is probably one of the most demanding sports and I really don't want to imagine Carolina's reaction if she read this thread after an 8-hour practice nor would i like to imagine what's going on inside Kimmie after seeing her scores... Let's just try to be nice to everybody :rock: So: sorry sasha :)