2024 World Championships Women's Short Program | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Women's Short Program

Skating91

Medalist
The technical panel, judges were appalling. It's a stain on the sport.

Loena's 3F+3T the 3T is on the q. Her 3Lz is a CLEAR wrong edge then at a MINIMUM the landing is on the q. ::scratch2: This program should be no more than 72-73 with so many issues. In fact less since you couldn't give such high PCS for something with so many fundamental issues.

Levito gets the same bonus from the officials. 3Lz has a wrong edge on take off but given just a not clear edge, the 3T is on the q. Levito's score is more reflective than Loena's and was enjoyable to watch for me.

Sakamoto clear wrong edge on the 3Lz not called, 3T in combo on the q but three judges give it +3 GOE. :biggrin:

The one I feel sorry for is Kim they never miss a chance to give her an underrotation. That would merely be a q for any of the skaters from J, U or B. And they would have ignored the not clear edge on the flip.

Haein Lee was great got a little help from the judges with her flip, but probably had the best jumps and cleanest performance of any of the contenders (I did not think she was a contender beforehand).

Young You was great too. Probably the most enjoyable performance, I liked Kaiser again she's so solid.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
Obviously the Korean Fed isn't very influential. Lee was clearly the best, but is 3rd, only slightly ahead of very sloppy Sakamoto and behind juniorish Levito.
I agree.

Reputation is the key. If you are top-skater judges tend to disregard your ur's or edge mistakes like Loena's lutz or Kaori's flutz or Eteri's students' mistakes. That's the issue I am opposed.
Loena especially has chronic issues with not rotating landings and wrong edge on the lutz. I don't understand how she doesn't have a reputation for this.

Take for instance Kim has a reputation of edge problems on her flip and they go after her everytime, but always miss the equivalent with Loena. Shcherbakova had a problem with the flip but those students always rotated their jumps. They would never skate a short program where they have glaring issues with the landing on 2 of the 3 jump elements.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Might be a dumb question, but what is a “kill count“. Thanks.
Its a meaningless term that was derived from "Slay count". In Lord of the Rings, for instance, charactors would compare slay counts after battles. In skating slang, it means how many skaters in a comp did worse than a particular skater did. Its all in fun, hopefully.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Young You is a skater I look forward to watching regardless of placement. She reminds me a bit of Mao Asada who I met in person at Worlds Boston.. strikingly beautiful.. ethereal And gracious
Exactly.....Imagine winning nats at 11! Love seeing her in person....

Skating91

Medalist
If Loena wins by 3 or 4 points I'd feel it is a championship with an asterisk against it given how the judges missed those glaring errors on her jumps. They will probably ignore any errors in the free skate as well.

Kaori is in a decent position skating with Loena and Levito behind her. I'd be surprised if Loena can keep it together in the free skate those jumps were laboured for her in the short program.

It will be interesting to see if Kaori's sloppy performance (against her usual high standards) is a once off blip in form or she will destruct like the GP final in 2022. She's been so stable it's come out of nowhere.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia

Its a meaningless term that was derived from "Slay count". In Lord of the Rings, for instance, charactors would compare slay counts after battles. In skating slang, it means how many skaters in a comp did worse than a particular skater did. Its all in fun, hopefully.

In this forum (at least) there's a specific meaning to "kill count" - it's the number of places that a skater managed to climb up after their short program's placement.

For example in Junior Worlds this year, Rena Uezono placed 8th in the SP but ended up 3rd overall, so her kill count is 5. Yanhao Li placed 23rd in the SP but managed to climb up to 12th overall, so 11 kills!! (Yes, both are my children and how awesome are they :biggrin:)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a different take on it. It starts with the assumption that the start orders have the skaters very well seeded, so every skater should be in first place WHEN THEY FINISH (ie, finish orders should be reverse of start order). A skater who starts early and does well then "kills" all the successive skaters who do not beat them. If a skater stays in first place through the next 5 skaters, then their "kill count" is 5.

Note that "kill count" is especially useful when there isn't a draw for the free skate, so the start orders is the reverse of the SP finish orders. That is NOT true for this competition, so the kill counts are irrelevant/meaningless. For instance, P/M had the top SP finish in their warm-up group but are skating first in the group for the FP. They can't "kill" the 3 other pairs in their group, because they were already ahead of them.

Skating91

Medalist
Loana-3-F-3-T-Worlds.jpg

It's even worse than I thought the opening combo even the flip looks like a q. +3 GOE from 6 judges it is unfathomable to me.

Andrina

Rinkside
3Lz should have negative GOE. This has happened all season. I'm tired of it.

Loana-3-Lz-Worlds.jpg
Terrible. Outrageous. Scandalous.

A snapshot as a proof of judges' blindness. What's happenned to this sport?!

I remember good old times when Shcherbakova was getting over 80 for less than that. That was fair judging.

Skating91

Medalist
Kaori wrong edge on the lutz only given a not clear edge. Big error by the tech panel. I hope these errors don't deny Haein Lee a once in a lifetime opportunity at a world championship, or deny Kim a medal.

It's not good enough.

Kaori-3-Lz-Wrlds.jpg

Skating91

Medalist

I remember good old times when Shcherbakova was getting over 80 for less than that. That was fair judging.

I'm no Shcherbakova fan but at 2021 Worlds all her jumps were completely rotated, had the more difficult 3Lz-3Lo combo as well. I'm just sticking to the jumps which we can objectively measure.

Shcherbakova 3 for 3 in jump elements scoring 81, Loena was 1 for 3 in jump elements scoring 77. Literally MAJOR problems on 2 of her 3 jump elements but made little difference to the score.

PCS is somewhat subjective, but in general not a fan of waving arms and leg kicks out of beat to the music while skating from one end of the rink to the other to do a jump so not sure about some of those 9.5 scores, but this is subjective like I said.

Sabsi

On the Ice
I couldn't follow everything live yesterday, so I watched the last groups straight away this morning.

What can I say, I'm so incredibly proud of my beloved Haein's performance and that she brought back her wonderful Sirens. This season I was able to visit a figure skating competition live for the very first time - GP France. Watching Haein live is simply even more beautiful than on TV, magic. You can't take your eyes off her. I am so jealous of you, @4everchan that you were able to see Haein in best shape with Sirens. I was so devasted for her for not making the podium in France... And now she has a small medal. Wow, so happy.

Loena, what a power program that was! What charisma, energy and self-confidence. I absolutely loved her. And she holds the European flag high. An absolute highlight.

Kaori, never write her off too soon...

Looking forward to the free skates :clap:

SXTN

Final Flight
When Loena skates the technical panel is obviously going for coffee break. No q on the 3F, no q on the 3T and no q or ! on the 3Lz. So unfair to the other skaters.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello everyone!

:)

I'm sorry I wasn't able to be around for the pairs' short or women's short. Unfortunately, one of my uncles passed away, and the funeral and repast was yesterday, so I was unable to watch.

I'll be around for the rest of the events.

Thanks for the play-by-play here, I was able to catch up on what I missed.

SXTN

Final Flight

Everyone knows Shcherba had ! Lutzes but she never underrotated all of her triple jumps in the short and got away with it like Loena here. The scandal at this event is that most of the skaters deservedly had edge calls or q's except for Loena. Even the commentator pointed out the Lutz in the official ISU stream and you should assume that he gets paid to support the corrupt ISU.

Last edited:

Andrina

Rinkside
Everyone knows Shcherba had ! Lutzes but she never underrotated all of her triple jumps in the short and got away with it like Loena here. The scandal at this event is that most of the skaters deservedly had edge calls or q's except for Loena. Even the commentator pointed out the Lutz in the official ISU stream and you should assume that he gets paid to support the corrupt ISU.
And patronizingly telling others how to behave is not childish? Then spare me from any discussion with you, please.

Upd. I see you edited your comment, so my reply is now confusing. Childish, isn't it?