Which men will go to Worlds? | Golden Skate

Which men will go to Worlds?

stevlin

On the Ice
Anyone know yet? If Johnny does get to go [he won the bronze last year at worlds, enabling 3 spots for men] who will get bumped? Mroz?

USFS never does anything else but go down the list at Nationals (except for injuries to national champions like Kerrigan, Kwan, and this year Belbin and Agosto.)

I think that's a good policy. It takes the politics out of it and also elevates the importance of Nationals.

just wondering

On the Ice
Does the listing order mean anything?

These are simply copied from the site . . . e.g.
2009 World Championships
Jeremy Abbott
Evan Lysacek
Brandon Mroz

2009 Four Continents Championships
Jeremy Abbott
Brandon Mroz
Evan Lysacek

Not a big deal. I was just curious.
JW

bekalc

Record Breaker
USFS never does anything else but go down the list at Nationals (except for injuries to national champions like Kerrigan, Kwan, and this year Belbin and Agosto.)

I think that's a good policy. It takes the politics out of it and also elevates the importance of Nationals.

Yeah. Nationals too is a pressure cooker, and skating well at Nationals shows how well you'll skate at Worlds in a lot of cases. Plus, why not give Mroz some experience, what if he gets even better next year, and then the USFSA will regret not sending him to Worlds?

Johnny has a LOT of experience, so it's not like missing worlds this year will kill him.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Johnny is 1st alternate for Worlds I guess that was the best they could do.
I thought they might send him to 4CC but he is 2nd alternate and Ryan is 1st.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
after the backlash the USFSA got over sending Kimmie to worlds and Katrina to 4CCs it doesn't surprise me they played it this way.

besides, with Johnny having been so ill, it's good to keep him home to get him better

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
after the backlash the USFSA got over sending Kimmie to worlds and Katrina to 4CCs it doesn't surprise me they played it this way.

besides, with Johnny having been so ill, it's good to keep him home to get him better

I thought they offered worlds to Katrina but she declined? I think i remember hearing this somewhere last year.

I just found out on another thread that USFS offered the worlds spot to Katrina, but she stepped aside. So the USFSA took flack for nothing..

Edited to add: As BravesSkateFan says, ... :)

kate

On the Ice
I just found out on another thread that USFS offered the worlds spot to Katrina, but she stepped aside. So the USFSA took flack for nothing..

I think they were criticized because this wasn't common knowledge. I don't know if Katrina or USFSA ever acknowledged it an in interview.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I hope that this is not the final decision of the USFSA, because it could be a very stupide one to make.

As a former competitor I can tell you that when it comes to nationals it is not about to who delivered on the night it is about what is BEST for the team. This years team is about ensuring three spots for worlds next year, and while I have no problem sending Jeremey it is going to put ALOT of pressure on him, to deliver now more than ever, but sending an unproven US Men's skater Morz who did not do well on his first Senior grand Prix circut. The worst is the decision to send Evan, he has not been consistant skater in a long time, he has regressed in many ways, most of his jumps have been downgraded, and perhaps the most troubling aspect of him is that he has fallen out of favor of the judges.

Let's run by this again, Johnny went to worlds last year, Evan didn't, Johnny brought home the ONLY US medal AND ensured three spots for worlds this year. Evan came back on to the Grand Prix scene with lackluster costumes and programs and were lackluster and did not do well. Johnny had a good grand prix, and qualified for the Grand Prix final, Evan didn't. Johnny won the bronze,Evan did had extra time to train for the nationals, Johnny didn't. Yet Evan is still going to worlds? BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Even when ill Johnny came in 5th, and had the courage and inner streangth to continue the competition instead of withdrawing and applying for the bye, that speak mulitudes more than anything. NOW THAT is something the USFSA should consider.

In the coming days I expect Johnny Weir to go home and apply for a bid and by then hopefully the USFSA will change their minds, because if they don't they will regret it come Vancouver.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yeah, USFSA is really stupid. I wish Johnny just stayed home, or withdrew after SP, even.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yeah, it seems crazy that the reigning world bronze medalist who had a good GP season dosen't go to worlds, but it is the only fair way to do it.
You have to send Abott, he had a great season and is National Champion an dhe certainly deserved it. You can't deny Mroz, he skated brilliantly and deserved earned his spot. He is of age, there is no excuse NOT to send him. He landed a picture perfect quad for heavens sakes, not the same as not sending Hacker. Of course we have to send Evan.

It's sad for Johnny, so many people thought this was going to be his year, but as I said you have to be fair to the lesser known guys who work just as hard.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Evan's a weak link... and he did get a better LP costume... he also has a couple of world medals to his credit... to Johnny's one.

I think we need to remember that this isn't about seeing our favorite make the team. Evan skated well. He not only deserves the medal he got at nationals but a place on the team. he's dependable.

antmanb

Record Breaker
As a former competitor I can tell you that when it comes to nationals it is not about to who delivered on the night it is about what is BEST for the team. This years team is about ensuring three spots for worlds next year, and while I have no problem sending Jeremey it is going to put ALOT of pressure on him, to deliver now more than ever, but sending an unproven US Men's skater Morz who did not do well on his first Senior grand Prix circut. The worst is the decision to send Evan, he has not been consistant skater in a long time, he has regressed in many ways, most of his jumps have been downgraded, and perhaps the most troubling aspect of him is that he has fallen out of favor of the judges.

Well since a lot of people think that Nationals is a high pressure event surely taking the results from them will give you a fairly realistic view of how these skaters will perform under pressure at worlds?

I'm not a fan of Lysacek's skating but his record and Weir's are fairly comparable in terms of successes and consistencies. Fair enough Weir had a great start to the season, especially considering he was ill throughout the GP and final, but he still skated how he did at nationals. There is no guarantee that he wouldn't perform the same at worlds.

It is much easier and less "favouritist" (is that even a word?) to just send the top three.

Let's run by this again, Johnny went to worlds last year, Evan didn't, Johnny brought home the ONLY US medal AND ensured three spots for worlds this year. Evan came back on to the Grand Prix scene with lackluster costumes and programs and were lackluster and did not do well. Johnny had a good grand prix, and qualified for the Grand Prix final, Evan didn't. Johnny won the bronze,Evan did had extra time to train for the nationals, Johnny didn't. Yet Evan is still going to worlds? BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

I'm not sure lacklustre costumes should really be key in terms of world selection!!

Even when ill Johnny came in 5th, and had the courage and inner streangth to continue the competition instead of withdrawing and applying for the bye, that speak mulitudes more than anything. NOW THAT is something the USFSA should consider.

Again I think that the only thing USFSA should conisder is on ice performance. Whether Johnny was ill or not and how he behaved in terms of that illness really should be irrelevant once the decision to skate is taken - then the performance is all that matters. More concerning I would find is that Johnny seems to have been ill for this entire season - is it a number of unrelated illnesses or is there something really up with him? He may benefit from having his season end early so that he can get better again and look forwards to next season refreshed.

In the coming days I expect Johnny Weir to go home and apply for a bid and by then hopefully the USFSA will change their minds, because if they don't they will regret it come Vancouver.

Do you mean Johnny should apply for a bye to worlds? I'm not sure that can happen once the skater takes part in the relevant competition can it?

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan said at teh beginning of the season that most skaters looked at this season as the beginning of the Olympic season... to me it sounds like he wasn't planning on being stellar earlier this season... and really who wants to be teh guy that wins worlds the year before the olympics, that's like a death sentence ;)

I agree with Ant that staying home could benefit Johnny more than Evan going to worlds will benefit him. Johnny will get a bit of a rest and come back strong next season. Will Evan be able to keep up any sort of momentum?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I saw the nat's results, but I'm not sure this is a good choice. Yes Johnny had a dreadful competition, but so far his results have always been better than Brandon's. I think it would be better if the USFSA were to make Johnny and Brandon sit a test in a few weeks time.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I saw the nat's results, but I'm not sure this is a good choice. Yes Johnny had a dreadful competition, but so far his results have always been better than Brandon's. I think it would be better if the USFSA were to make Johnny and Brandon sit a test in a few weeks time.

Well since others have mentioned it in other threads - USFSA didn't give Bobek a bye to worlds 1996 but let Tara go - a comparatively unknown young skater with some big tricks up her sleeve who had never skated at worlds before.

The younguns have to catch their break at some point.

As some others have noted - Johnny has been to worlds before - not going this time will be a blow to him , for sure, but he doesn't need the experience as much as Mroz. Next year - the pool of male skaters with world championship experience with a chance to win the Olympic spots will be even bigger which can only be a great thing?

It must be crushing for Johnny but he's come back from worse than this. It's so close to the Olympics he's not going to throw the towel in now. What he has for the first time in years is the opportunity to have an actual holiday from skating (go the beach, go and do some catwalk shows, anything!), get over his illnesses, get back to his training earlier than ever, come up with possible program choices for the Olympic year, be prepared enough in advance that he can call on the choreographers early, with a clearer schedule than normal to book in times with them. I think this could be just what Johnny needs. Or i'm just a Johny optimist.

Ant

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
I think that sending the three medalists was a fair choice.

To me, Johnny didn’t earn a spot, finishing 5th. But on the other hand, he IS the reigning world bronze medallist. If he were to have pulled out of the competition because of injury/sickness, I could see a reason to consider him, but not just because he finished off the podium.

If this was the Olympics, sure I think the US should send Johnny in Brandon's place because of his experience but this isn't the Olympics.

I wish all three men the best of luck and I do think they can earn 3 spots to the Olympics.

Michelle’sFan

Eevun

Final Flight
Now I sit here, just read the news of who's going to Worlds, and crying :cry: What's the point with anything any more when there's no Johnny at Worlds? My world is falling apart... I'm terrified that I wont see him again. Will he stand a bad season and come again with new strange next year? I'm so worried he wont...