Which boots should I get? | Golden Skate

Which boots should I get?

hannah_d

Spectator
Hi I am planning on starting adult skating classes and would like to know what skates to get as a beginner. I am 5,9 and weigh 66kg and have relatively narrow feet. I can already skate forwards and backwards and do a two foot spin and I am really keen on learning quickly and hopefully learning jumps. Of course I’m going to go try find somewhere to get fitted for skates but I am interested to know your opinions. I have been looking at skates and am interested in Edea overtures but I don’t know if they are suitable for me? If not which other skates do you recommend as I would like skates that will last a while when I progress and get better.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi I am planning on starting adult skating classes and would like to know what skates to get as a beginner. I am 5,9 and weigh 66kg and have relatively narrow feet. I can already skate forwards and backwards and do a two foot spin and I am really keen on learning quickly and hopefully learning jumps. Of course I’m going to go try find somewhere to get fitted for skates but I am interested to know your opinions. I have been looking at skates and am interested in Edea overtures but I don’t know if they are suitable for me? If not which other skates do you recommend as I would like skates that will last a while when I progress and get better.
Hi and welcome to the ice! :ghug: Where do you live? There are people here from a variety of countries, and provinces/states within the larger countries, who can steer you to the nearest good skate shop with a professional fitter. Your success and your enjoyment of the sport depends very much on getting correctly-fitted boots for your foot shape. In addition to the information you've given so far, what shape are your toes (Egyptian, Greek, etc) and are your arches low, normal, high? Different brands of boots have different shapes to the foot and ankle all around, not just the soles as in street shoes. I have thin, narrow feet with high arches and Egyptian toes, for instance. I have two pairs of boots, one from Risport and one from Riedell. I wore Jacksons for many years, but they changed the basic shape of the last and no longer fit me correctly. You'll need to try on a variety, whichever your fitter recommends after taking all the measurements of your feet (not just the length as for shoes). Good luck!

Last edited: