4th Place Worlds 2003 - 2004 Podium? | Golden Skate

4th Place Worlds 2003 - 2004 Podium?

J

Joesitz

4th Place Worlds 2003 - 2004 Podium?

The poll lists the 4th place finishes at 2003 Worlds. Which ones, iyo, will move up to the Podium in 2004. Bear in mind that there are good skaters in 5th-10th places, too.

K

Kasey

Re: 4th Place Worlds 2003 - 2004 Podium?

Please NOT Sasha! Sorry, that has nothing to do with her abilities, I just personally don't like the girl! Kind of hard to consider the men's, cuz hopefully Yagudin will be back in the mix, and Honda will have a better competition, along with Joubert and Klimkin. I guess probably ice dance, since the top two both retired, right?

Kasey

J

Joesitz

Kasey - I think all of them will have a good chance to get on the podium. As for winning, I am not so sure. And there are all those others who came in 5th - 10th who were not at their best.

It's really going to be an unpredictable Worlds at Dortmund. But I think fans could pick 3 each in the various disciplines, but not the winners. And picking the 3 will be tough enough.

Joe

D

DORISPULASKI

As to most likely, obviously N&K. Next most, I would put Pang and Tong. Petrova and Tikhonov have got to go. 3rd most likely, Sasha. I definitely feel she can beat Fumie. However the ladies in 5 to 10 are definitely not to be discounted. Kostner is a definite threat, as is Ota, if she is now old enough. Even US nationals may not be a total slam dunk for Sasha if she melts down again and if others behind her skate their best. It is just barely possible she might not even make it to world's. AP, Beatrisa, Yebin and Jenny are all on her trail.
But I hope she surprises me and takes her first medal at Worlds, finally. As to Li, I really like him. He is really talented. However, Yagudin has entered for the Grand Prix. I really don't see Yags skating worlds and not getting a medal. And there is no way Plush will not get a medal. That leaves Li, Takeshi and Tim fighting for that 3rd spot. And Brian Joubert and Klimkin, not to mention Kevin van der Perren, Stephane Lambiel, and maybe even Ryan Jahnke are coming up fast. I think Li has a tough fight ahead of him.

dpp

K

Kara Bear

I think Sasha and N&K will be moving up. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a gold medal around N&K's necks next year.

P

patsue

Doris- -you are assuming a slam-dunk for Sasha at US Nationals? She'll likely have one big hurdle in her way - -Michelle K!;)

J

Joesitz

Patsue - All the US Ladies will have a tough time on the podium if Ye Bin Mok, Beatrisa, Jenny will skate their best. However, I have the feeling that this American event has already picked out the 3 skaters for the podium. The aforementioned other 3 names will only get to the podium if MK, SC and AP have a complete meltdown. It could happen.

Joe

D

DORISPULASKI

Hi patsue, Welcome to Golden Skate.
No, the question was about making the podium. I was saying it is possible that Sasha might not make the podium at Nationals. It is probably she will make the podium, but I don't think you can assume it. The only relatively sure Nationals podium bet is Michelle, that is, if she skates there.
dpp

S

sk8guy2k2

Pang and Tong so deserved the bronze this year. Maybe the Canadians too. Petrova and Tikonov should have been behind Scott and whats-his-name. They were AWFUL. I have a feeling that Sasha will be finishing 4th year after year. She'll be having a great season, then BOOM!!!

P

patsue

Hi Doris--thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking here for awhile--finally got on board. I must have misunderstood your remarks concerning Sasha and not being able to slam dunk Nats if the others under her skate better. I just took it to mean you weren't considering Michelle in the process- -because Michelle is definitely not under Sasha! Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Joesitz--I do understand the gist of this thread re: who might make the podium next year. As it has been stated in other threads on many other boards--the ice is slippery. Lol!

L

Lcp88

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a gold medal around N&K's necks next year. [/quote]

Kara - I was thinking the *exact* same thing.

As far as the ladies go, Sasha has a definate chance, but a big part of it depends on if Michelle's going to be there and/or Irina. It's going to be a tough one for the men as well. I do really hope Ryan Jhanke makes it back to Worlds, but he's going to have to put up at good fight at Nationals. And of corse I'd love to see Brian Joubert on the podium, if not a World Champ :) (I know I know, its unlikely he'll win this year, but I can hope, right?:lol: :) )
Laura

J

Joesitz

patsue - I like that phrase "the ice is slippery". When the judging is honest, there is no surety for the Gold or even 2nd and 3rd.

Picking top 10 is easier.

Joe

P

patsue

Joe, in total agreement- -it is easier to pick the top 10. As you said "If the judging is honest (and truly that's a big IF) and all the ladies are spot on it will be difficult, me thinks, to predict the outcome! The field in the Ladies segment is so deep and strong- -oh my! are we ever in for a treat next season. Can hardly wait.:eek:

mzheng

Record Breaker

Seems the vote booth don't take multiple choice. There

Li - I think he was undermarked this year. He has the jumps and his own style just that judges don't appreciate. Like judges with Elvis S. If he can get his endurence/sustain in his LP he has the chance. But with Yagudin back next season Li may not able to move up. IMO Li is up there with Honda.

Sasha - I do see her move up if she can pull herself together next season. However if she still keep making those mistakes I have difficult to see judges kept holding her up. No matter how beautyful her skating 5.8 and 5.9 was extrem generous for presentation with 2 falls. And after that second fall you can see she obviously slowed down and became causious when she went into 2A. Though she recovered nicely after a while and was able to be back strong by the end of the program.

Pang&Tong - Once they improving in spin unison and get a good choreograph, they'll be on the podium. I really think chinese should spend money for their second tier team P&T, Z&Z for some good NA choreographer. Don't use Russian's since they competing with Russia. I'm not impressed with S&Z's SP this year. Sure the costumn are nice and flash, it is really eye caught, but the program not as good as I thought should be.

Don't know much about N&K.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Pang and Tong so deserved the bronze this year. Maybe the Canadians too. [/quote]

P/T and Langlois & Archetto didn't have nearly as many mistakes as those on the podium... I was so upset that ABC didn't even show Anabelle and Patrice... I would have liked to compare them with the rest of the competition....

oh well... Ana and Pat for 2004 World Champions! :D