Worlds Preview - by JR Walker | Golden Skate

Worlds Preview - by JR Walker

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JR has written a preview of this event and we invite you for lots of fun discussion and friendly debate :rock:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
The young duo has a short program that could be remembered as one of the best in history...

I've got goosebumbs when read that...:unsure: I steal someone's words here: if they get silver this year, I will eat my hat:biggrin:
Although K/S are a little bit awkward at times, I still prefer them over M/T.

Does Walker know Yuko's last name is no longer Kawaguchi officially?:rolleye:

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love that prediction for Mukhortova/Trankov!:love: Heck, I would love for them to win gold, but silver is nice too. :rock: I would be totally shocked if they beat Savchenko/Szolkowy overall as the author predicted, but it would make for an exciting surprise. I can see it happening again in the SP, as has occurred twice already this season at Skate America and the European Championship. If Masha and Maxim are clean in the SP, I could see them winning that portion or in the top 3 for sure after the SP. Their LP gives me nervous butterflies though. I really hope they can skate cleanly.:bow::clap:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Mukhortova/Trankov's SP is truly beautiful, but they seem like completely different skaters during their LP. Have they ever skated their LP even close to clean this season yet (i.e. only about one mistake or so)?

I won't rule out an upset, however--if any pair has the potential, it's M/T. Anyways,I learned my lesson about upsets after last year's worlds (Buttle? Buttle!).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Joubert is making his eighth appearance at the World Championships, and is looking to medal in his fourth consecutive season.

I didn't realize that. Very impressive stats.

I think that personally this is the most exciting worlds in a long time. Not only is it in my home town, but there is no clear favorite in any disciple. The closest I could get to a favoriteis Yu-na is the ladies, but she is not a shoe-in.

I think the men is the most exciting this year...or maybe dance. Gold is up for grabs.

Walker's take on the men was very interesting.

I say, watch out for Oda. Walker lists him only as a "dark horse," but I think he could easily land on the podium.

I agree with Walker's evluation of Contesti. Thi seems to be his year. I wonder what the French federation will think if he not only finishes ahead of Preubert but even pulls a miracle and knocks Joubert off the podium!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Walker's take on the men was very interesting.

I say, watch out for Oda. Walker lists him only as a "dark horse," but I think he could easily land on the podium.

I agree with Walker's evluation of Contesti. Thi seems to be his year. I wonder what the French federation will think if he not only finishes ahead of Preubert but even pulls a miracle and knocks Joubert off the podium!

You mean Ponsero, not Preaubert. Speaking of knocking Joubert off the podium, I think Contesti should have achieved that at Europeans where I would have awarded him the gold ahead of Brian had I been a judge of that competition. Way to go, Samuel! I hope he keeps the positive momentum going at Worlds! :clap::rock: Realistically though, likewise with M/T beating S/S overall in pairs, I would be completely shocked if Contesti beats Joubert overall. Though I don't always appreciate Brian's style of skating, I have to hand it to the guy for being such a steady competitor. He has a great ability to rebound from a bad performance and to rise to the occasion at the most important times. He usually knows how to peak for Worlds.

I too think Oda could land on the medal podium.

Last edited:

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
I really enjoyed his take. I am disapointed he didn't mention the American pairs team (I would mess up their name if I tried to spell it, so I won't :laugh:). I feel that they could end up on the podium, but they would need two perfect programs.

I like his Dance predictions but do hope his silver and gold predictions are switched at the real competition. :clap:

Michelle'sFan

all that

Final Flight
I thought the preview was strange when it came to Virtue/Moir.

The Canadian champs certainly have the technical prowess to win a World title, but Virtue's confidence seems to be shattered by her injury.

Where did he get the feeling that Tessa's confidence is "shattered" by her injury? She had a tough time, yes, but that's because they haven't been able to practice enough. What does that have to do with her confidence? If anything, going by their interviews, they seem as confident as ever.

JR is high on Lysacek, penciling him in for silver, and ahead of Joubert. Maybe the "peaking at the right time" effect?

I agree with JR's assessment of my fave, Van der Perren. He will need some of the others to make mistakes, but they probably will, giving steady-as-she-goes Kevin a shot at a high placement. .yes:

i love to skate

Medalist
I thought the preview was strange when it came to Virtue/Moir.

Where did he get the feeling that Tessa's confidence is "shattered" by her injury? She had a tough time, yes, but that's because they haven't been able to practice enough. What does that have to do with her confidence? If anything, going by their interviews, they seem as confident as ever.

I was wondering the same thing! I have no idea where "shattered" come from either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the article Paula!

it will be interesting to see what Evan does in LA... he could just end up wanting the thing too much and blow it