Dutch Figure Skating 2023-2024 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating 2023-2024

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Elisa Maria Westerhof, a Dutch girl who represents the United Arab emirates in Abu Dhabi Classic Trophy was 6th in junior women. :cheer::cheer:Thanks for the update @CaroLiza_fan!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering why Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba aren't going to compete at Challenge Cup, and 'anything goes' have given me the answer:
https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1760030608061780026. I hope Michel heals well. I recall seeing him with an awkward face as if in pain at the Bavarian Open (which the couple won). Let's hope he recovers quickly and in time for the WC.

Weathergal

Medalist
I was wondering why Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba aren't going to compete at Challenge Cup, and 'anything goes' have given me the answer:
https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1760030608061780026. I hope Michel heals well. I recall seeing him with an awkward face as if in pain at the Bavarian Open (which the couple won). Let's hope he recovers quickly and in time for the WC.
Best of luck to them -- I hope he heals quickly! I'm so glad to hear that Daria got her citizenship! I like this pair and enjoy watching them skate.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Sadly, Lindsay van Zundert will not be competing at the Challenge Cup either. Reasons are the same as why she wasn't at Euros: too little training time due to personal cicumstances. She is still scheduled to compete at the WC, but the decision on that will be taken at a later stage.

XianYing

Rinkside
Sadly, Lindsay van Zundert will not be competing at the Challenge Cup either. Reasons are the same as why she wasn't at Euros: too little training time due to personal cicumstances. She is still scheduled to compete at the WC, but the decision on that will be taken at a later stage.
I am afraid that she will retire fast. The lovely twist in her jumps that she had isn't there anymore... Beijing came too early

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A lovely article about our young talent Angel Delevaque, 13 years old, and competing at the JWC next week.
In summary.
Interview with coach Jorik (Loena's brother), mother Irina and Angel herself. As Jorik says: Angel is young, and hopefully she can maintain the triples during puberty. But we must take care. Her mother was a ballet dancer, het father played Hockey for a short time (the ice version, not field hockey which is a bit more popular over here). Her mother wants to prevent Angel from starting to hate skating because of a Spartan regime as she herself had (she stopped ballet at 18 because she had started to hate it). Angel doesn't mind the hard work (yet).
In Dutch:

Last edited:

XianYing

Rinkside
A lovely article about our young talent Angel Delavaque, 13 years old, and competing at the JWC next week.
In summary.
Interview with coach Jorik (Loena's brother), mother Irina and Angel herself. As Jorik says: Angel is young, and hopefully she can maintain the triples during puberty. But we must take care. Her mother was a ballet dancer, het father played Hockey for a short time (the ice version, not field hockey which is a bit more popular over here). Her mother wants to prevent Angel from starting to hate skating because of a Spartan regime as she herself had (she stopped ballet at 18 because she had started to hate it). Angel doesn't mind the hard work (yet).
In Dutch:
Hope that she will have a professional staff around her. It will help her in the future. She has so something special

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Challenge Cup time, our only really interesting tournament. The Dutch Ice Dance couples are in 6th (Hanna and Alessio) and 9th (Chelsea and Sherim) place after the Rhythm Dance. There are no entrees in the other disciplines at senior level.

At junior level the women still have to skate. No entrees in the other disciplines

At advanced novice level, Leon Lo (men) is in second place after the SP, while the women are in 5th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 22nd and 23rd.

All others still coming up or currently skating!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that I am here as the bearer of sad news.

4 times Dutch Ladies Champion Joan Haanappel has died at the age of 83.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2510192-oud-kunstrijdster-en-commentator-joan-haanappel-83-overleden

https://nos.nl/artikel/2510195-joan-haanappel-een-leven-in-het-teken-van-kunstrijden

I am struggling to think of somebody else who did so much for this sport in their country. She was the driving force behind Dutch figure skating for so many years. And she will be sorely missed.

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am so saddened to hear of the death of Joan Haanappel.
Sjoukje Dikstra must be devastated, though relieved to hear she could visit Joan one last time in hospital after complications from back surgery. Their careers and lives were linked as they were great friends for 75 years.

Though Joan was 83 she always looked so vibrant, youthful, elegant and glamorous, so to hear the sad news from my friend in Amsterdam is a huge shock.
RIP lovely, talented Joan, and sincere condolences to those she leaves behind.

Joan was instrumental in Lindsay's çareer - outside of the Dutch Federation whom Joan was not happy with. Here is a video with Lindsay van Zundert crying and speaking warmly of her mentor.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yes, it is terribly sad that Joan died. She had already withdrawn as board member from the foundation she had erected to promote Figure skating for health reasons but this was still unexpected for me. The last time I saw her (and spoke to her) a year ago she seemed fine and happy. Always so supportive of the skaters though never blind to mistakes they made. The only foundation I know of where the head board member (Joan herself) would phone you and say thank you for your gift, whether it was big or small.

She had built up a strong bond with Lindsay, so I'm not surprised Lindsay was very upset. Best friend (and OSM and OGM in 1960 and 1964 respectively) Sjoukje supported Joan in her efforts to take Figure Skating to a higher level in our country. Which was difficult due to the popularity speed skating. I am happy to note Joan's foundation will continue to support young skaters.

Thanks for the tributes @CaroLiza_fan and @La Rhumba. I missed them yestrerday due to activities elsewhere.

SK4T3

Rinkside
Joan passed away while Dutch National Championships. (Challenge Cup / NK Kunstschaatsen) taken place.😢

She got a great honor on prime-time news at Dutch Television (What she deserved!) The girls did a great job for the Figure Skating Community in the Netherlands.

There is a Memorialsite at "IJssportCentrum Tilburg" during the Challenge Cup / NK Kunstschaatsen to remember her.

Lovely Footage of "The Girls" are available:

Both Joan and Sjoukje were extremely shocked about what happened with their American Skating Friends on Sabena 548 on 15 February 1961. They arranged a Floral Wreath on 15 February 2021 (4KM of Joan's Hometown)

Berg_%28Kampenhout%29_Gedenkplaats_Sabena_vlucht_548_3-03-2021_14-45-47.jpg

One of their biggest wishes of the girls:

"To Experience The Olympic Games in Cortina and Milaan Together to "completing the circle" "

In My Heart ❤️

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Challenge Cup left us with the following results for the Dutchies:
In advanced novice men a second place for Leon Lo (and first in the FS). Well done!!!!!:points::cheer:

In jr women a 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th and 20th place (too many names). Well done too! :cheer::cheer:

In advanced novice women a 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd place. Hurrah to you all! :hap10::hap10::hap10:

In basic novice women a 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th place. Hurrah! :hap10::hap10::hap10:

Lots of talent among the girls, and the one boy is definitely talented too.

No Dutch pairs participated, but in my view Daria and Michel are talented and doing very well. Let's hope Michel recovers well!

XianYing

Rinkside
I don't know what I need to think of Lindsay now anymore. I really like her btw, but she sound always a little bit like she is a queen. I made a timeline of things where I thought mmm, maybe she needed a better guidance in terms of how to be in media etc (just to protect herself for later).

Timeline 2022-now
- She said in an interview (youtube teamnl/koplopers) that she became aggressive before a competition and sometimes even broke things from herself. (Why say things like this?)
-She begged several times to carry the flag (sorry, but I understand that you want it, but you put people in a difficult situation (Joan said something similar on live television)) and if Lindsay was mature enough she knew that it wasn't the best thing to do. Being really chosen would be much nicer than the fact of asking it multiple times (on television (for example in MAX), interviews, even asking personally to the chef of mission she said in an interview).
- She wanted to retire in the summer of 2022, but then got GP assignments and then she had a goal (it's nice that she got motivation again)
-Last season she had money problems (well that has always been the case because the Netherlands is not much into figure skating (the sport is very expensive )). After this Lindsay received a nice amount from her municipality (10k) and from crowdfunding (15k (almost 16k)), other sponsors idk.
-In December 2023 she went from 12k (I thought it was 12.5) to 45k in one day with Instagram followers (big chance that she bought them cause she said multiple times before how many followers she has, it is in any case strange that she went from 4k to 10k during the games and in December was nothing special in terms of event and then suddenly you get so much in one day).
- This season wasn't her best season she got even scores that she didn't had after 2019. (I honestly thought she was injured because she sometimes fell out of the sky during a jump. During the Olympic season and before she had such a lovely twist.
- She doesn't talk to Loena really anymore same as her coach (Carine coached before Loena). Loena and Carine haven't talk to each anymore since the moment that Loena switched coaches (Carine stated in an interview after Loena won gold at EC. About Nina etc.
-Recently, the KNSB said that it Lindsay set her sights on Milan and today she is leaving the option open? Maybe not say a and then b again?

I still think that Lindsay should get a more professional team after March 2021, then she would learnt how to deal with media (it affected her at EC sp 2022). She would probably not have developed depression related to the OLY. Yes she probably deals with a late post olympic depression.

In one year she suddenly had the media asking things of her (she was 16), then the OLY (17), then the flag (NOC NSF should not have done that for protection, because she already had a lot on her plate, especially being the first in so long, her age and having almost zero experience in the senior field). It wasn't nothing and we see the result now. Hope that she can cope with it, but a depression is hard and most times in this situation you need medication. Especially seeing that she dyed her hair (In my culture we say that you can't change your appearance when feeling not yourself cause it will be a sign that something bad will happen to a loved one, well that happened... sadly...)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think there is also a small translational issue here: I've heard her saying that she got very angry with herself at Europeans in 2022 (literally that she threw a tantrum) and that sharpened her to do well at the Olympics. The films were about the preparation of Dutch team members going to the Olympics. One of the documentaries was about Lindsay. I didn't hear her say she broke things in anger. The was something happening in her family (I don't know about a depression, but yes, lack of motivation certainly) which caused the lack of training. I suspect it will be worse now, as Joan Haanappel was one of her great supporters and had become a big friend (she called her 'bonus granny') with whom she could talk about things. She was very, very sad about Joan's passing and burst into tears because of it (yeah, media can be awful and let us see all that).

XianYing

Rinkside
I think there is also a small translational issue here: I've heard her saying that she got very angry with herself at Europeans in 2022 (literally that she threw a tantrum) and that sharpened her to do well at the Olympics. The films were about the preparation of Dutch team members going to the Olympics. One of the documentaries was about Lindsay. I didn't hear her say she broke things in anger. The was something happening in her family (I don't know about a depression, but yes, lack of motivation certainly) which caused the lack of training. I suspect it will be worse now, as Joan Haanappel was one of her great supporters and had become a big friend (she called her 'bonus granny') with whom she could talk about things. She was very, very sad about Joan's passing and burst into tears because of it (yeah, media can be awful and let us see all that).
https://yewtu.be/watch?v=SuoGGMIzuSM 11:20-12:00 she says 'before competition I need to get rid of my frustration, I am the during the day normal, in the evening she back her suitcase and than it starts, than I explode for no reason, angry, sometimes really aggresive, throwing things or destoying things .. ' Well that's NOT normal if I translated it well. The fact that Joan passed away when Lindsay really needs her is very sad, hope that she feels safe with someone else. Otherwise we lost a talent. The fact that media interviewed her on the day that Joan past away is disturbing, idk if she heard it that day or the day before... (If I was Lindsay I would have said no to the interviewer, just to protect myself).

Last edited: