US Men's Olympic Team | Page 5 | Golden Skate

US Men's Olympic Team

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m sorry, no intention to mean anything wrong for yagudin, I truly had the impression that he wasnt appearing in nationals cause he lived in usa, never watched RN on tv until recently via net, just some youtube clips in that era.Thanx for correction. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the interesting comments about other Nationals mm. Thanks also to seniorita and medusa.
So, if i got it right, several countries decide their teams by committee (with the problems that can include) and others teams are selected by the head of their Skating Federation.

I think I would put it this way. In some federations one individual or a small clique is powerful enough to rule the roost all by itself. In others, the power structure is less monolithic.

Edited to add: If anything, the USFSA has the opposite problem. Nobody is in charge. As far as I can tell, the USFSA is run largely by a huge cacaphony of amateur volunteers. The previous CEO resigned after serving only a year or so. He was in despair of ever being able to ride herd on so many different factions and special interests.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Edited to add: If anything, the USFSA has the opposite problem. Nobody is in charge. As far as I can tell the USFSA is run largely by a huge cacaphony of amateur volunteers. The previous CEO resigned after serving only a year or so. He was in despair of ever being able to ride herd on so many different factions and special interests.
Somehow all this talk about skating organisations is really - sobering? I mean, if even a sport can't be organised decently, if even the skating federations seem to be lost somewhere between cheating, lying, incompetence, dictatorship and corruption, how can we expect that a government works smoothly or even a big international organisation?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Edited to add: If anything, the USFSA has the opposite problem. Nobody is in charge. As far as I can tell, the USFSA is run largely by a huge cacaphony of amateur volunteers. The previous CEO resigned after serving only a year or so. He was in despair of ever being able to ride herd on so many different factions and special interests.
But that was back in May 2005 (if you mean the USFS' Executive Director). The current Executive Director, David Raith, has been in place since Sept. 2005. (Sorry for the OT. This topic of USFS' Governance should probably have its own thread if there's enough interest.)

Last edited:
Some posters really enjoy predictions. It seems right after a Worlds result, the predictions appear again for the following Worlds even though they are a year away.

I believe the winner of the US Nats will go to the Olys in accordance with tradition. The two other Men will be those who showed good consistent skating during the year leading up to the Nats whether they place at Nats or not. (Every skater has that awkward day and in could be at Nats)

I think the US Men are all very close in talent and it's a wait and see. GPs will give a hint.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Joesitz;3973 I believe the winner of the US Nats will go to the Olys in accordance with tradition. The two other Men will be those who showed good consistent skating during the year leading up to the Nats whether they place at Nats or not. (Every skater has that awkward day and in could be at Nats) [/QUOTE said:
I am not aware of this tradition you refer to Joe.
With the possible exception of Evan pulling out of Nationals due to injury/illness, the three medal winners at Nationals will be the men's Olympic team. It is always that way and that is US tradition.
The scenario you described is how mm explained how Russian and French teams are picked.

I am not aware of this tradition you refer to Joe.
With the possible exception of Evan pulling out of Nationals due to injury/illness, the three medal winners at Nationals will be the men's Olympic team. It is always that way and that is US tradition.
The scenario you described is how mm explained how Russian and French teams are picked.
I used the word tradition, Janetfan, as a quick response to a knowledgeable poster of the workings of the USFS. That poster mentioned that there will be no change in procedures for this coming Olys.

As with Russia and France, the USFS has the right to send whomever it wants to the Olys. I believe what MM said was that regardless of who wins the French and Russian championships, the Fed Heads will select their teams in toto, and this is important if only 1 or 2 skaters are qualified.

The USFS has 3 Men to think about. If Evan is injured but curable by Oly time, he will be on the Team A precedent happened one year where Eldridge could not skate Nats due to injury but was sent to the Olys anyway and the 3rd place skater was given the following Worlds as compensation. So the Team is definitely selected by the USFS. I do believe the winner of US Nats will be on the Team, but the other two we have to wait with bated(sp) breath.

For the ladies, i think the whole team of 2 will be with bated breath. If Mirai or Alissa wins the US Nats, and Caroline and Rachael are 2nd and 3rd in some order, where does that leave Sasha who many will consider a prestigious skater? I think this is a very touchy Team of 2 to be selected. Will the winner of nats as mentioned be on theTeam? Keep tuned.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I used the word tradition, Janetfan, as a quick response to a knowledgeable poster of the workings of the USFS. That poster mentioned that there will be no change in procedures for this coming Olys.

The tradition and importance of US Natls far exceeds GP or any influence it has, as stated in the rules about team slection.
Last year was a perfect example of the strong tradition of US Natls. Johnny had a good showing in GP's but skated poorly at Natls. In keeping with the decades long tradition and importance of US Natls he did not medal and was left home. Yes, there are exceptions but a skater's placement at Natls is by FAR the strongest determing factor in slecting Natl teams.
If Mroz tears up GP this season and makes GP final but skates poorly at Natls. coming in 4-5-6, I would bet my house that he wont make the team. Johnny can have a very mediocre GP season but if he medals at Natls I will also bet my house he will be selected for Vancouver.
It is no mystery how the Olympic team will be selected. Medal at Natls and you will make the team. I did mention Evan could be an exception this year but the others chosen will be medalists at Natls.
The more I think about it the more I think it will be the same for the Ladies. If Caroline and Rachael finish in the top two spots they will go to Vancouver regardless of their GP season. Same for Alissa and Sasha. Or Mirai and Ashley.
I doubt that US Skating will belittle the importance of it's premier skating event based on results at GP's which are no longer televised here and have nowhere near the impact let alone the PRESSURE of Natls. The atmosphere at Natls is closest to Worlds /Olympics and that is why it is still the determining factor for which skaters make the Natl teams.
I don't see a panel sitting around discussing GP results of various skaters as the way the Natl team will be selected. It will be settled at Natls like it has been for decades.
As to Sasha, it is clear NBC will benefit from whater ratings boost she brings by appearing at SA and Natls. If Sasha is beaten at Natls by Caroline, Rachel, Mirai, etc, then NBC will run with the "see our NEW Olympic hopeful" type of ads.

Mikoto

Rinkside
In Japan, there was a movement toward more openness in the selection procedure and they came up with a point system. So many points for winning this or that competition, whoever acquires the most points over a two-year period makes the team. This procedure fell into disrepute in 2006 when they were accused of manipulating the results of Japanese nationals to make sure that Miki Ando made the Olympic team ahead of Yukari Nakano, who had a much better 2005-06 season. The charge was that Ando's commercial sponsors leaned on the Japanese federation to do what they had to do to make it come out that way. (As a separate issue the president of the Japanese federation resigned in disgrace amid financial scandals.)

In response the Japanese federation came up with a new point system that put heavier weight on more recent results than on older ones.

FYI, the result of the 2005-2006 JPN Natioal was
1. Fumie Suguri (near flawless SP/LP)
2. Mao Asada (singled 2A in SP/LP with two 3A)
3. Shizuka Arakawa (wonderful SP/subpar LP)
4. Yoshie Onda (clean SP/skate of her life in LP ...and made me cry)
5. Yukari Nakano (clean SP/skate of her life in LP with URs)
6. Miki Ando (so-so performances with URs)

and oddly enough Ando got the most points after JPN Nats. IIRC the order was
0. Mao Asada (too young)
1. Miki Ando (steady 04-05/made 05-06 GPF but skated poorly)
2. Fumie Suguri (top finisher in 2005 world/poor GPs then won the National)
3. Shizuka Arakawa (good 2004-05/unfortunate draw in GPs and missed GPF)
4. Yukari Nakano (came from nowhere with almost no 2004/05 point)
5. Yoshie Onda (OK results in both seasons)

So assuming JSF really manipulated national scoring by dumping Nakano in 5th place and if they were to place her in 4th or 3rd place "rightly", then Shizuka Arakawa -Gold Medalist in Torino and former World Champion- would be the one who dropped from the Olympic team under the criteria. And its order in national was correct IMO.

In hindsight JSF sholud have ignored their criteria, but I was not sure what they should do at that time. Maybe sponsors and/or media attention had something to do with the decision though. But, dispite I was not a Ando's fan (I AM though) I didn't buy conspiracy. It was just a JSF's mistake that didn't predict any rising stars (and falling stars).

Then, in the past few seasons they decided the world team only based on the Nats. But in this season they seem to change criteria.

This is my first post. Plase welcome:biggrin:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Then, in the past few seasons they decided the world team only based on the Nats. But in this season they seem to change criteria.
What do you mean that "in this season they seem to change criteria"?

Thanks for posting! :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think you US and Japanese figure skating fans are spoilt with too many talented skaters from your own countries :eek:hwell:

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
Yes, that seems a very likely scenario mm.
But what if Evan has another so-so GP season and then has a poor Natls, maybe finishing 4-6 or even 5-7?
Would you still say top two and add Evan?

Evan is still the reigning World champ--they'll send him. After a terrible-or even just a bland-performance at nationals, for example, the person will work doublily hard to prove him or herself.

Evan was 3rd at Nationals--and came back to win World gold. :clap:

As for the other spots:

I think Johnny is an iffy. It would depend on how the GP goes. But I would be betting on Evan, Jeremy and Johnny.

Michelle'sFan

. .
I doubt that US Skating will belittle the importance of it's premier skating event based on results at GP's which are no longer televised here and have nowhere near the impact let alone the PRESSURE of Natls. The atmosphere at Natls is closest to Worlds /Olympics and that is why it is still the determining factor for which skaters make the Natl teams.
I don't see a panel sitting around discussing GP results of various skaters as the way the Natl team will be selected. It will be settled at Natls like it has been for decades.
As to Sasha, it is clear NBC will benefit from whater ratings boost she brings by appearing at SA and Natls. If Sasha is beaten at Natls by Caroline, Rachel, Mirai, etc, then NBC will run with the "see our NEW Olympic hopeful" type of ads.
I'm not belittleing anything. I believe the USFS will assess the skating abilities of the top skaters in its selection for the Olys team. There could be 5 championships to consider: 3 GPs and 1 4CC. and 1 Nats. It's the job of the USFS to come up with the best possible team., and by giving the placement of the team to the winner of the Nats is not belittling its Nationals. It's just the other 2 places which they have to come up with. There is a good chance that the entire Nats podium will go to the Olys, but wait and see.

I reiterate my remark about the Ladies. Just awaiting the results and the naming of the 2 qualified for the Olys. This will be a deucy or doozy.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I believe the USFS will assess the skating abilities of the top skaters in its selection for the Olys team. There could be 5 championships to consider: 3 GPs and 1 4CC. and 1 Nats.
As many people already have stated here, 2010 U.S. Nationals most likely will be weighted the heaviest. 2010 Four Continents (the week after Nationals) will NOT be considered (as per the published U.S. Olympic selection guidelines). The December 2009 GP Final is listed as the second event to be considered after 2010 Nationals and before 2009 Worlds, but I think it will only be factored in if the 2010 Nationals results are extremely close and a U.S. skater/team medals at or wins the GPF. Since qualifying for the GPF can be a crapshoot (some GPs have harder or easier fields than others), I don't think it's really fair to give so much weight to those results.

It's the job of the USFS to come up with the best possible team., and by giving the placement of the team to the winner of the Nats is not belittling its Nationals. It's just the other 2 places which they have to come up with. There is a good chance that the entire Nats podium will go to the Olys, but wait and see.
Agreed there.

^^^
and they will come with the Best Possible Team from the Nationals only?

If a top skater has a bad day at the Nats, it wll be just too bad.

^^^ ^^^

Further more, if there is a rule that the entire podium goes to the Olys, then what is that meeting all about where they are supposed to discuss the Oly Team? If the Nats podium automatically goes to the Olys, this meeting must be ceremonial. No?

If there is a discussion and one or more are replaced, then I am not so wrong in my post.

:thumbsup: Thumbs up on "bated" (variant of "abated"), not "baited," breath. :laugh:
I did use baited one time and got immediate response that it has nothing to do with fishing.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

merrybari

Final Flight
As many people already have stated here, 2010 U.S. Nationals most likely will be weighted the heaviest. 2010 Four Continents (the week after Nationals) will NOT be considered (as per the published U.S. Olympic selection guidelines). The December 2009 GP Final is listed as the second event to be considered after 2010 Nationals and before 2009 Worlds, but I think it will only be factored in if the 2010 Nationals results are extremely close and a U.S. skater/team medals at or wins the GPF. Since qualifying for the GPF can be a crapshoot (some GPs have harder or easier fields than others), I don't think it's really fair to give so much weight to those results.

I find it ludicrous that the 2009 GPF result is listed above 2009 Worlds as criterion for choosing the team for the exact same reason.

Worlds is the premier event in the non-Olympic years, so what in the "world" are they thinking? Someone needs to explain the reasoning here.

I find it ludicrous that the 2009 GPF result is listed above 2009 Worlds as criterion for choosing the team for the exact same reason.

I think the reason might be that it is more recent -- just a month or so before Nationals and then the Olympics. Whereas Worlds was way last year. Maybe the Grand Prix season will show that last year's stars are fading and new ones are on the rise.