Influence of Japanese sponsors on Judging | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Influence of Japanese sponsors on Judging

janetfan

Match Penalty
I've seen the movie. A few times, I believe. Wasn't it about how people lose their humanity and morality, when they choose to blindly follow some unwritten rules.

Yes, exactly the same thing that happens too often in figure skating :laugh:

chloepoco

Medalist
I just think the title of this thread shows no respect for either the Japanese sponsors or the judges.

It'll be a sad day when figure skating loses its sponsors, Japanese or otherwise, because of remarks like this.

hellcat

Rinkside
I just think the title of this thread shows no respect for either the Japanese sponsors or the judges.

It'll be a sad day when figure skating loses its sponsors, Japanese or otherwise, because of remarks like this.

It'll be a sadder day when someone has to bend over not to lose sponsers.

IMO. suppressing questions/suspicion/remarks/opinion is not the ideal way to handle those who question fairness, even if there's a misunderstanding.

daihard

Rinkside
yes, that is what I am saying. Not just in skating but in many sports. Famous central defenders in football do not get called for as many penalties as a new player just breaking into the league.
Off-topic, but it reminds me when the Seattle Seahawks made it to the Super Bowl for the first time. Many of us believe the Seahawks lost to the Steelers mainly because of all the calls made in favour of the Steelers, who had been to the Super Bowl a few times in the past. Newbies don't get the doughnuts. :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
If I were a Japanese sponsor, I'd be PISSED OFF....3 Japanese men with such talent, but all that cash can't even get one on the podium in a little GP event! How much more cash do I need to fork over to land a Japanese man on the podium in Vancouver?! :disapp:

On a more serious note, PCS padding occurs for a variety of reasons, and not just for Japanese skaters either (e.g. see the Joubert thread).

janetfan

Match Penalty
Off-topic, but it reminds me when the Seattle Seahawks made it to the Super Bowl for the first time. Many of us believe the Seahawks lost to the Steelers mainly because of all the calls made in favour of the Steelers, who had been to the Super Bowl a few times in the past. Newbies don't get the doughnuts. :)

That was the most poorly officiated Super Bowl I ever saw. I don't know if it was intentional bias or just incompetence, but the officials made many questionable calls, all favoring the Steelers.

Going back on this thread I never said a bad word about Japanese sponsors.
I did poke fun at American sports and said they show favoritism at times to the star players in NFL football, the NBA and ML baseball. I mentioned European football too.

A few skaters I mentioned or referred to were Mao and Miki - and also Kiira and Joubert.
Excuse for not mentioning an American skater - so I will say it now, and believe if Ashley had fallen one more time yesterday it is possible the judges would have kept her on the podium just to have a USA Lady at the GPF.

I could be wrong about some of this but I did not mean in any way to be critical of, or point fingers at Japanese skaters or sponsors.

And I agree with Evangeline that when Japanese men stop falling down so much at international competitions they will win more medals. Just like Oda has this season.

Last edited:
The Seahawks? What about my poor Detroit Lions? The officials cheated against us 16 times in a row last year, and so far this year they cheated against us 6 times and cheated for us only once. :cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The Seahawks? What about my poor Detroit Lions? The officials cheated against us 16 times in a row last year, and so far this year they cheated against us 6 times and cheated for us only once. :cool:

Looking over recent NFL records for teams' won-loss percentages would appear to offer strong statistical evidence of your claims.

I shout out, "Free the mighty Lions!!" :biggrin:

hellcat

Rinkside

Why does it have to be Redskins?

They better straigten this out unless they make the skins fans in D.C. mad and put some stingy sanction on the sponsers.