Who will be Patrick Chan's coach in the coming season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be Patrick Chan's coach in the coming season?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Just because someone was a skater does not mean they are a coach -nor does it mean that they would be a good coach.

Browing still skates, does commentary, hosts a TV show, and does choreography, Jeffrey is a choreographer, Stojko lives in Mexico, and I don't think Cranston has been actively involved in skating for quite awhile.

M.. M... MEXICO? He knows how to speak Spanish?!

My mind is blown.

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw your comment.

Nadia01

Final Flight
:scowl:patrick should go nowhere near Morozov..but I think he would have more sense. Why did people begin to go to Morozov in the first place, apart from the fact that he had been Tarasova's assistant, and choreographer.? Or apart from hoped-for political advantage ? Wasn't it for footwork, since he was a former ice dancer ? ...So why on earth would Patrick, who already has the most phenomenal footwork in the business , take a step backward and start running on his toepicks while blowing kisses to the crowd? Why would he give up a very fine choreographer for one who gives roughly the same SP to skater after skater ?

Orser would be great, but he may have a rather full plate, at the mo. Wherever he settles, Patrick seems to be happiest where he has other elite skaters around..

(Orser does have some younger skaters, I'm not sure how many, including a very promising young Canadian girl..sorry, I've forgotten her name..we only saw her at Jr. Nats this year, so I'd have to look her up.. Riley _ ? , I think...help, someone.)

Obviously I wasn't clear in my post that was half-joking LOL. :)

Nadia01

Final Flight
:laugh::laugh: Sorry, Nadia...I'm just a titch sensitive about Morozov...:laugh::laugh:

NP.

I've never hidden my dislike of Patrick as a person (I really find some of his comments very thoughtless and rude to his competitors), and I half-jokingly wished he'd hire Morozov just b/c it's such a wrong choice for him.

If I liked Patrick, I would've suggested Frank C or Rafael A.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Like or dislike..(let's not go there again. Many people's opinions are too set in stone for any reasonable discussion)

I always hope for any skater to make a wise choice in the coaching dept. , one based on athletic / artistic results , not just political ascendancy ; a completely selfish wish, since it would mean more enjoyment for me. I don't think Patrick would have a problem with finding someone who would be willing to work with him , I just hope he finds an atmosphere that's a good fit. I'm looking forward to witnessing the realization of his full potential.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Who is he training with in Colorado now, Tom Zachryseck? That might be a good choice for him especially where Ryan is retiring and Rachael is likely leaving Tom at the end of the season when she goes to college.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Who is he training with in Colorado now, Tom Zachryseck? That might be a good choice for him especially where Ryan is retiring and Rachael is likely leaving Tom at the end of the season when she goes to college.
No, he is not training with Tom and judging by Jeremy's triple Axel consistancy when he was with Tom that is probably a goodb thing. I wonder if Frank Carroll would take him on if Evan does not come back? Frank already works with Lori and Patrick said he liked the high-level competitive atmosphere, which Toyota Center certainly is.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No, he is not training with Tom and judging by Jeremy's triple Axel consistancy when he was with Tom that is probably a goodb thing. I wonder if Frank Carroll would take him on if Evan does not come back? Frank already works with Lori and Patrick said he liked the high-level competitive atmosphere, which Toyota Center certainly is.

I think Evan's 3a is worse than Abott's though. I do think Frank would be a good coach for Patrick, and now where Evan is retiring and Carolina's working with someone else, Patrick could be one of his stars. Plus Mirai is there :laugh: . Orser helped Rippon improve his 3a a lot though so maybe he is the most logical choice.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Patrick's triple axel technique is textbook when he lands 'em. It's when he doesn't get the height and under rotates a bit that he has issues on the landing. Unlike a lot of other skaters nowadays, Chan doesn't seem to be able to finish the rotation on ice. It just hits the back of his blade and the continued rotation makes him either fall or flip out. It's possible that Patrick doesn't need someone to correct his axel technique, just to teach him how to handle a landing when things go a little wrong. Maybe Mao should coach him.

☆Genie

Rinkside
Er. Mao has a bad triple axel compared to men. Men usually have more flow because of the height, but Mao does have good technique on the jump. (really tighy position in air).
And I thought Lori Nichol was his coach? I think they make a good pair but Lori's too busy choreographing like 18054564210+9560 programs. I think Brian Orser would be good.

Ren

On the Ice
☆Genie;483290 said:
Er. Mao has a bad triple axel compared to men. Men usually have more flow because of the height, but Mao does have good technique on the jump. (really tighy position in air).
And I thought Lori Nichol was his coach? I think they make a good pair but Lori's too busy choreographing like 18054564210+9560 programs. I think Brian Orser would be good.

I think Brian's got a lot on his plate right now--Yu-Na, Adam Rippon, Christina Gao, and a couple of other lesser-known skaters. I wonder if he's still coaching that young pairs team he mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago... Also, isn't he the skating director of the club where Yu-na practices? He's one busy guy, and when you think about it, relatively new to coaching. I'd rather that he pace himself, for his sake, and his students' sake.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If he wants a Canadian coach, there is Orser (who has Rippon as well), and Browning, Buttle, and just maybe, Stoyko or Cranston. Good choices if available.

Um, Browning doesn't coach and has always been upfront that it's not in his plans. he doesn't have the right attitude (too impaitent) to coach - according to what he's said. somehow I don't think Chan's personality would click full time with Kurt's.

Ren

On the Ice
I don't know if Chan and Stojko can 'click.' I mean, Stojko's one of the people who's been most vocal about the quad since the men's competition...

One thing about Brian is that he's got good backup. All the elite Canadian skaters past and present offer advice and maybe more. They do it for Yuna. Will they do it for Chan?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One thing about Brian is that he's got good backup. All the elite Canadian skaters past and present offer advice and maybe more. They do it for Yuna. Will they do it for Chan?

they'd give it, but would he take it?

bladz123

Rinkside
What about Lee Barkell?

Absolutley the best idea presented here. Barkell is a strong coach who has all the experience PChan needs. Barkell is strong on technique (with Doug there to help with anything he can"t handle) and a very good coach who can plan and goal set. He would be the perfect coach to take him to the top in 2011 and stay at the top for 2014.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Well, there is a really good Canadian coach who has just produced an Olympic gold medal winner: Orser. And isn't Orser "Mr. Triple Axel'? I think he would be the ideal coach for Chan. And he can even train in his home country.
Yeah, that would be great. Mr. Orser seems to be pretty open about including other ppl. So perhaps Patrick may be able to keep his favorite former team members.

stevlin

On the Ice
Chan should go to....

If he wants a Canadian coach, there is Orser (who has Rippon as well), and Browning, Buttle, and just maybe, Stoyko or Cranston. Good choices if available.

Brian Orser or Kurt Browning. But do not go to Elvis S. , he will just want Chan to do jumps. Especially the quad. Elvis would be the worst coach for anyone.:)