Who will be Patrick Chan's coach in the coming season? | Golden Skate

Who will be Patrick Chan's coach in the coming season?

Simoncat

Rinkside
I think Patrick Chan's present coaching situation was a temprary measure to tide him over until the end of the season. He has apparently stated he likes Colorado,but Skate Canada may take a hand in determining where he skates and who will be the Coach.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
He should go to Frank Carol to fix his 3a and then he can start dating Mirai! :laugh: :agree:

Not sure Frank would be the best option for his 3A. Evan's technique on this jump is scary! Dating Mirai though.. :laugh: can you imagine the statements coming out of this couple?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not sure Frank would be the best option for his 3A. Evan's technique on this jump is scary! Dating Mirai though.. :laugh: can you imagine the statements coming out of this couple?

Yeah that would be intense, but on the upside they would look so adorable together! And I actually thought Evan's 3a looked pretty darn good at the Olympics...I was surprised. It appeared as though he really reworked it. Evan's 3a problems might also be partially due to his height, Chan is pretty short so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm curious why he never considered Brian Orser considering he is from Toronto...

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Well, there is a really good Canadian coach who has just produced an Olympic gold medal winner: Orser. And isn't Orser "Mr. Triple Axel'? I think he would be the ideal coach for Chan. And he can even train in his home country.

Last edited:
If he wants a Canadian coach, there is Orser (who has Rippon as well), and Browning, Buttle, and just maybe, Stoyko or Cranston. Good choices if available.

lavender

Record Breaker
Stojko..man I don't think that will happen after Stojko's complaints:laugh: I don't know why but I don't see them liking each other.

Did Evan have that technique (axel) before he went to Frank?

i love to skate

Medalist
If he wants a Canadian coach, there is Orser (who has Rippon as well), and Browning, Buttle, and just maybe, Stoyko or Cranston. Good choices if available.

Just because someone was a skater does not mean they are a coach -nor does it mean that they would be a good coach.

Browing still skates, does commentary, hosts a TV show, and does choreography, Jeffrey is a choreographer, Stojko lives in Mexico, and I don't think Cranston has been actively involved in skating for quite awhile.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Chan won't go to Orser because Orser works with David Wilson and Chan is besties with Lori. I think he will stay where he is since he loves the Dartfish system so much, and I think it will work out for him. His problems this year were a bad combonation of hometown olympic pressure and injury as well as lost training time on the quad.

i love to skate

Medalist
Chan won't go to Orser because Orser works with David Wilson and Chan is besties with Lori. I think he will stay where he is since he loves the Dartfish system so much, and I think it will work out for him. His problems this year were a bad combonation of hometown olympic pressure and injury as well as lost training time on the quad.

I think he may want to stay where he is but I think Skate Canada will have something to say about that. I hope that he goes to trian with Doug Leigh in Barrie for the summer and gets the correct technique on his axel. Doug can also help him with his quad. My wish would be that he trains there permanently and keeps on Lori as his choreographer for the long program but goes to Kurt to do his short. The exhbition program Kurt did for him was so youthful and fun!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Do coaches have like a limit on the number of students they can coach? I just mean in theory. Like Orser has Yuna, Adam, Christina but does he also coach a lot of lesser known skaters as well or does he only coach the very talented ones?

salsa

Spectator
My guess is that Orser and Leigh will not happen!!!! Skate Canada may have a suggestion but ultimately, the decision it is with the Chans.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Do coaches have like a limit on the number of students they can coach? I just mean in theory. Like Orser has Yuna, Adam, Christina but does he also coach a lot of lesser known skaters as well or does he only coach the very talented ones?
I think Orser only does the high level skaters. He works out of that elite club so i am guessing not too many lower level skaters are paying 18,000 a year just for ice time there. Frank coaches a lot of skaters from all levels... I don't know how he had the time. Now that Carolina and Evan are probably done he will have more time for Mirai and is younger pupils I guess.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:scowl:patrick should go nowhere near Morozov..but I think he would have more sense. Why did people begin to go to Morozov in the first place, apart from the fact that he had been Tarasova's assistant, and choreographer.? Or apart from hoped-for political advantage ? Wasn't it for footwork, since he was a former ice dancer ? ...So why on earth would Patrick, who already has the most phenomenal footwork in the business , take a step backward and start running on his toepicks while blowing kisses to the crowd? Why would he give up a very fine choreographer for one who gives roughly the same SP to skater after skater ?

Orser would be great, but he may have a rather full plate, at the mo. Wherever he settles, Patrick seems to be happiest where he has other elite skaters around..

(Orser does have some younger skaters, I'm not sure how many, including a very promising young Canadian girl..sorry, I've forgotten her name..we only saw her at Jr. Nats this year, so I'd have to look her up.. Riley _ ? , I think...help, someone.)

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

I wonder this too. I read posts that she/he should go to this/that coach. But isn't it a money issue too? I know nothing of how coaches are setting their bills, but I suppose there is a deal about spent time/following the skaters to competitions etc. And the more succesful the coach is, the higher costs. So it is not like just choose the coach you want, right?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I wonder this too. I read posts that she/he should go to this/that coach. But isn't it a money issue too? I know nothing of how coaches are setting their bills, but I suppose there is a deal about spent time/following the skaters to competitions etc. And the more succesful the coach is, the higher costs. So it is not like just choose the coach you want, right?

Maybe to an extent? I'm not really sure. Christina Gao only went to Orser though after she had finished 3rd in the Junior Division at nationals, so the previous poster might be right in that a skater has to prove their worth before starting training with a good coach. I mean why did Mirai not switch coaches earlier? Frank does have a lot of tier two skaters (Bebe Liang, Laney Diggs, Danielle Kahle before she quit), but I'm not sure if he coaches any students who are not at least at the level to compete at nationals.