2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe Christina will do the Junior Grand Prix.

Yeah that must be it, unless she's injured. I actually think it's a smart idea for her, the JGP field will be extremely deep this year and if her goal is Sochi, there's no need to rush into seniors right away. She can still be assigned to Worlds if she does well enough at nationals.

Looking back on the young skaters in GP these past years, I bet Mirai wishes she had done JGP for the 08-09 season when she was fighting her injury and puberty woes (I know she was the US champion then, but still, she kind of dug herself into a hole that season), and as for Caroline, she did great her first season of GP but then it's been downhill ever since. If Gao is in fact doing JGP, I may be more excited for that than for the senior GP. I mean, Liza, Adelina, both Polinas, Anna, Sofya, Hae-Jin Kim, Christina, Kiri and maybe Samantha Cesario? IMO, that sure beats watching snoozes like Fumie, Alissa, Gizmo, McCorkell try and convince themselves their best years are still ahead of them :rolleye:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeah that must be it, unless she's injured. I actually think it's a smart idea for her, the JGP field will be extremely deep this year and if her goal is Sochi, there's no need to rush into seniors right away. She can still be assigned to Worlds if she does well enough at nationals.

Looking back on the young skaters in GP these past years, I bet Mirai wishes she had done JGP for the 08-09 season when she was fighting her injury and puberty woes (I know she was the US champion then, but still, she kind of dug herself into a hole that season), and as for Caroline, she did great her first season of GP but then it's been downhill ever since. If Gao is in fact doing JGP, I may be more excited for that than for the senior GP. I mean, Liza, Adelina, both Polinas, Anna, Sofya, Hae-Jin Kim, Christina, Kiri and maybe Samantha Cesario? IMO, that sure beats watching snoozes like Fumie, Alissa, Gizmo, McCorkell try and convince themselves their best years are still ahead of them :rolleye:

Maybe if Christina had been more competitive at Jr Worlds she would be skating on the senior circuit this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe if Christina had been more competitive at Jr Worlds she would be skating on the senior circuit this season.

True, but with her medal at the JGPF she had one GP garaunteed, and likely she could have gotten another based on some of the entries, esp where SA is in the US. It makes me think she herself decided not to move up. I think it's probably a smart idea but I'm definitely surprised by her decision. Plus the JGPF will likely be harder to make than the SGPF this season anyways, all those Russian girls, the 13 year old Korean superstar, Gao and Baga, Fujisawa from Japan, maybe Cheltzie Lee (not listed in SGP so I assume she's doing JGP), and then the surprises.

janetfan

Match Penalty
True, but with her medal at the JGPF she had one GP garaunteed, and likely she could have gotten another based on some of the entries, esp where SA is in the US. It makes me think she herself decided not to move up. I think it's probably a smart idea but I'm definitely surprised by her decision. Plus the JGPF will likely be harder to make than the SGPF this season anyways, all those Russian girls, the 13 year old Korean superstar, Gao and Baga, Fujisawa from Japan, maybe Cheltzie Lee (not listed in SGP so I assume she's doing JGP), and then the surprises.

It is nice to be a fan of the younger skaters. But the skaters you mentioned were not as good as Kanako last season. Is Kanako ready to take on Yuna and Mao? Is Kanako guaranteed a spot at the senior GPF?

I think it will still be harder to make the senior GPF this season. Many of the girls you mentioned still skate slow and their spins are not as good as many of the senior Ladies. In the CoP era the baby jumping beans are not the threat they were in Tara's era.

alekzu

Rinkside
The GP assignments are a little weird to me. Didn't Kevin van der Perren retire? Where is Ponsero? Why did Evgeni only get 1 assingment? There are a lot of new names there as well. That'll be fun.

Also, didn't Zaretskys retire as well?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would think a lot of these would change...and I am just gutted that Ryan Bradley appears to have really retired :cry:
Also, Lysacek has no assignments-I thought he had left his options open.

One thing that surprised me the other way-the Shibutanis decided to do the GP rather than the JGP.

Eevun

Final Flight
This is what I found out about Yannick:

June 13
...apparently the reason for Ponsero receiving no Grand Prix assignments is because he has decided to retire. This, again, is no official announcement, but just relaying what I have heard.

May 10
Yannick Ponsero [is] planning to continue competing next season.

I'm happy that Johnny continues and hope he'll not changes his mind during the summer and fall.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So no Sasha, I guess this means she finally decided to retire? I thought she was still "unsure" about her future...

R.D.

Record Breaker
So no Sasha, I guess this means she finally decided to retire? I thought she was still "unsure" about her future...

She's DONE. Finished. Cooked.

:cool:

About the actual assignments- ladies seem evenly spread out. Bleh, not excited by any of the matchups. Maybe if anything else, keep an eye on Nagasu to see if she bounces back...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was really suprised to see some names like Jonny and Rena/John .

Yes, I though Inoue and Baldwin had announced retirement? Johnny has yet to announce anything, but we can count on his withdrawal. I guess Evan has informed USFSA that he will not be competing, but has not yet said anything publicly. kind of strange. Same with Joannie. Sad losses to the GP scene.

For the ladies NHK promises to be exciting. Caroline will have to be in top form to maintain a respectable finish. I think Czinzy could medal at Canada, Cup of China should be Kim, Ando, Nagasu in that order. Skate America looks good for Racheal and Caroline, if Caroline skates well we should get two ladies on the podium at home. No Yu-na/Mao match ups, do even if Kim skates in the GP she does not have to worry about her rival until mid December.

Right now Cup of Russia and NHK are the most exciting for the men, but the top names seems to be spread pretty evenly over the events.

Wow the Shibunatis have arrived and go two events. I can't wait to see thr senior judges reaction to them as well as how they match up aginst thr other US ice dance teams.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She's DONE. Finished. Cooked.

:cool:

About the actual assignments- ladies seem evenly spread out. Bleh, not excited by any of the matchups. Maybe if anything else, keep an eye on Nagasu to see if she bounces back...

Umm Russia? That looks like a pretty exciting event for the ladies. But I agree about the others, meh. I think because so few ladies chose to move up we get to see people like Fumie, Alissa, and Sarah Meier skate twice instead of seeing Gao, Shelepen, Ovcharova, Agafonova, etc make their senior debuts.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes, I though Inoue and Baldwin had announced retirement? Johnny has yet to announce anything, but we can count on his withdrawal. I guess Evan has informed USFSA that he will not be competing, but has not yet said anything publicly. kind of strange. Same with Joannie. Sad losses to the GP scene.

Joannie stated publically that she was not skating in the GPs but might stick around for nationals.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm more surprised that Mitchell/Islam are skating the GP and not JGP. They could've had a solid run on the JGP, but I guess they feel their junior world medal is enough.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
is Keegan Messing still skating the Junior circuit, then, as he's not on the list for a senior assignment, or did he get shafted?

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
I wonder about this pairs, because they don´t get an assignemt:

Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS
Allie HANN-McCURDY / Michael CORENO CAN
Caitlin MALLORY / Kristjan RAND EST
Rachel TIBBETTS / Collin BRUBAKER USA
Anastasia PLATONOVA / Alexander GRACHEV RUS
Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS
Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR
Karen ROUTHIER / Eric SAUCKE-LACELLE CAN
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE
Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET FRA

Someone know something about this pairs and can tell me if they are split, retired or do JGP? THANKS

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Looks like Skate America is a fight between Rachael Flatt and Laura Lepisto ... maybe Christina Gao will take the USA TBA spot?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Looks like Skate America is a fight between Rachael Flatt and Laura Lepisto ... maybe Christina Gao will take the USA TBA spot?

The spot is probably being held for Sasha if she wants it. I doubt she will show :-( and thus Cristina gets the spot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Monko & Khaliavin and Pushkash & Guerreiro are staying in Juniors, it appears. The US & Canadian contingents won't have any returnees who made the JGPF or who medalled at Jr Worlds..

Probably the Shibs want to get into competition with Chock/Zuerlein & the Hubbells for the open 3rd US spot as soon as possible. With NavBoms and Tanith & Ben retiring, the US third slot is pretty much wide open, so this choice makes some sense.

But I also find Mitchell & Islam's and Ralph & Hill's choice to go to Seniors puzzling (I believe both would still be junior eligible this year?). After all, Weaver & Poje and Crone & Poirier are both still skating, as, of course, are V&M, so it's very unlikely that either M&I or R&H would get a Sr world's slot in Canada. I don't know whether Hann-McCurdy/Coreno retired or not. They did not get a berth in the Senior GP, despite medalling at 4CC's. It looks like chances would be better on the Junior circuit for M&I and R&H--but who am I to choose for them? They are scheduled for only one GP, so I wonder whether they could conceivably do Jr Worlds under the proposed new rules in any case?