2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There is something we must remember about Sasha; she hasn't actually earned any GP events. Yes, the situation was the same last year, still, the ISU gave her 2 events and got shafted. So they may not do the same this year.

oleada

Record Breaker
But I also find Mitchell & Islam's and Ralph & Hill's choice to go to Seniors puzzling (I believe both would still be junior eligible this year?). After all, Weaver & Poje and Crone & Poirier are both still skating, as, of course, are V&M, so it's very unlikely that either M&I or R&H would get a Sr world's slot in Canada. I don't know whether Hann-McCurdy/Coreno retired or not. They did not get a berth in the Senior GP, despite medalling at 4CC's. It looks like chances would be better on the Junior circuit for M&I and R&H--but who am I to choose for them? They are scheduled for only one GP, so I wonder whether they could conceivably do Jr Worlds under the proposed new rules in any case?

Both teams got two events, not 1. Paul & Islam have Canada and Russia, Ralph and Hill have China and France.

I don't think Ralph is necessarily the best partner for Hill, and their issues are the same ones that they have from juniors: skating skills, her posture, holds and so on.

Paul/Islam going to seniors is surprising, as I thought they'd do a year of the JGP. They're good but still raw, not sure if they are senior ready yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then I find both R&H and P&I to have made a strange choice. You only get so much momentum from juniors, and I would not be surprised if C&P, W&P, and V&M all hang in for Sochi. And both teams would benefit from some work, as you point out, oleada.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
There is something we must remember about Sasha; she hasn't actually earned any GP events. Yes, the situation was the same last year, still, the ISU gave her 2 events and got shafted. So they may not do the same this year.

No, she hasn't been given any GP events, but that USFSA left a TBA at SA makes me wonder who they are keeping it for. They would die to have Sasha skating in the US and all the advertising they could do with her.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:confused: Re: ice dance - I , too, am finding this very odd. If H-M/C have retired,we haven't heard..if they have, surely they should have earned one spot. I was happy for them because they would have regained funding last year, after falling out of that circle the year before. Correct me if I'm wrong , but doesn't SC funding..and international assignments.. go to the top 5 at Nats ?

As for P/I , the only thought that comes to mind is that with I/K moving up, SC may not want to let P/I fall behind, so to speak, and be perceived as part of a " younger " group going into the next O cycle..maybe they're betting that P/I 's phenomenal progress in their first year will continue exponentially in their second...
( I just know that I get very nervous when SC tries to make the smart play. They've been known to outwit themselves in the past.)

If anyone can allay my fears , talk me down ,or whatever , please do. Unless and until this is explained, I'm going to feel somewhat uncomfortable about this , as I did in the past few years over some of the marks W/P received ( or didn't receive) at the national level..

I like all these couples ,I'd be happy to just let the chips fall where they may , but I confess to the occasional suspicion that one coaching team may be looked on slightly..and I stress slightly..more favourably than another.

I hate to feel that way , so can anyone offer some reassurance ?:unsure:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I wonder about this pairs, because they don´t get an assignemt:

Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS
Allie HANN-McCURDY / Michael CORENO CAN
Caitlin MALLORY / Kristjan RAND EST
Rachel TIBBETTS / Collin BRUBAKER USA
Anastasia PLATONOVA / Alexander GRACHEV RUS
Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS
Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR
Karen ROUTHIER / Eric SAUCKE-LACELLE CAN
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE
Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET FRA

Someone know something about this pairs and can tell me if they are split, retired or do JGP? THANKS

Tibbests/Brubaker and BlancBouquet DID get assignments, check the lists again:p

Surprised abotu Mallory/Rand & MysliveckovaNovak being left out though, hope they stick around.

Routhier/SL & Agafonova/Dun have split. Dun's skting with Terra Findlay now.

Not sure about PlatonovaGrachev but last season wasnt good enough for them for a GP spot.

i love to skate

Medalist
:confused: Re: ice dance - I , too, am finding this very odd. If H-M/C have retired,we haven't heard..if they have, surely they should have earned one spot. I was happy for them because they would have regained funding last year, after falling out of that circle the year before. Correct me if I'm wrong , but doesn't SC funding..and international assignments.. go to the top 5 at Nats ?

As for P/I , the only thought that comes to mind is that with I/K moving up, SC may not want to let P/I fall behind, so to speak, and be perceived as part of a " younger " group going into the next O cycle..maybe they're betting that P/I 's phenomenal progress in their first year will continue exponentially in their second...
( I just know that I get very nervous when SC tries to make the smart play. They've been known to outwit themselves in the past.)

If anyone can allay my fears , talk me down ,or whatever , please do. Unless and until this is explained, I'm going to feel somewhat uncomfortable about this , as I did in the past few years over some of the marks W/P received ( or didn't receive) at the national level..

I like all these couples ,I'd be happy to just let the chips fall where they may , but I confess to the occasional suspicion that one coaching team may be looked on slightly..and I stress slightly..more favourably than another.

I hate to feel that way , so can anyone offer some reassurance ?:unsure:

I think SC wants to get the younger teams the most experience they can. Canada has the greatest depth in ice dance than they ever have had - and I think they plan to take full advantage of it.

In regards to W/P, I believe that they have not progressed fast enough for SC's liking. Finishing 20th and 17th in their two World Championship appearances is not very impressive when you compare it to C/P's 12th and 7th place finishes, for example. W/P are also not as strong technically as the young teams (C/P, R/H, P/I) and the young teams are only going to get better and better. I really think that W/P are not going to be able to keep up and I think it is going to be really hard for them to get back onto the World team with all of these teams in the wings. I don't think there is any favoritism going on, I just think the other teams are better.

I love both R/H and P/I!! R/H are different and unique and I love they way they look on the ice. They have a unique way of moving that holds my interest (their African OD this year for example, was absolutely beautiful). P/I have been spectacular this year and it has hard to believe they have only been together for such a short amount of time. If they stay on this path - they are going to be outstanding!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Looks like Skate America is a fight between Rachael Flatt and Laura Lepisto ... maybe Christina Gao will take the USA TBA spot?

Christina is doing another season on the JGP, and you can't compete on JGP and SGP at the same time so the spot isn't going to her, if I had to guess the TBA spot will go to Amanda or Alexe, who each only have one event, or maybe Angela Maxwell or Christine Musademba if they do well over the summer.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
colleen, I'm a little concerned too.

1. If the new age requirements were to go in effect for the 2010-2011 season, then P/I aren't eligible for juniors, so the leap to seniors makes sense on that basis. R/H I understand a little better. They had the third highest FD at 4CC this year, despite not competing a senior level FD internationally, and they themselves may be tired of the junior circuit and wanna see how they stack up against the seniors (there's something to be said for competing against teams clearly ahead of you and strive to achieve that level).

2. I'm a little surprised to see you so down on W/P, i love to skate. While one might question their progress early on in their partnership, I felt this year showcased them quite strongly. A strong FD, their first GP medal, winning Four Continents (yes, an emaciated field). Given that they actually made Canada's number two spot a battle this season, I would expect even further progress. Yeah, they need to make improvements, but that's true of every team not named Virtue/Moir (fanbot voice). Paul/Islam have intriguing choreography and interesting musicality, but they are so rough around the edges. R/H need to improve speed/ice coverage. W/P have issues with mental conditioning, it seems (always little bobbles here and there).

3. There is a little bit of putting the cart before the horse here, I think. While I can definitely understand Skate Canada assuming that V/M won't be around for Sochi, the other presumptions are a little too specious for me.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meli_Huber said:
I wonder about this pairs, because they don´t get an assignemt:

Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS
I heard they are with Linichuk, and I suspect they will be doing JGP

Allie HANN-McCURDY / Michael CORENO CAN
I've heard nothing, and I'm worried about them not received a GP assignment

Caitlin MALLORY / Kristjan RAND EST-no news

Anastasia PLATONOVA / Alexander GRACHEV RUS-no news

Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS- no news, but I think they are still jgp eligible?

Alisa AGAFONOVA / Dmitri DUN UKR- Split up

Karen ROUTHIER / Eric SAUCKE-LACELLE CAN - Split up

Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE Very worried-I don't understand why they don't have some assignment & I haven't heard anything about a split

R.D.

Record Breaker
Umm Russia? That looks like a pretty exciting event for the ladies.

Other than the possibility of a Kim appearance, what else is there?? I guess there is Ando, but she is usually quite lackluster in the beginning of the season. On paper, it really is a battle of second-tier skaters- Suzuki, Wagner, Leonova. But since it is a post-Olympic season, can't expect that much.

Maybe NHK has the highest potential, with three American contenders plus Asada and Kostner. But it is the first event this year- and last year's first event was supposed to be this massive showdown, this mini-Worlds which turned out to be a dud. Kim ran away with the title and everyone else was quite underwhelming. Big possibility I may sit out this series.

Last edited:

Final Flight
Skate Canada

Crone & Poirier CAN
Paul & Islam CAN
Virtue & Moir CAN
Carron & Jones FRA
Beier & Beier GER
Kerr & Kerr GBR (They did not retire!)
Gorshkova & Butikov RUS
Alessandrini & Vaturi ITA
Chock & Zuerlein USA
Tibbetts & Brubaker USA

reunite?!
yeah they realized that the random pairings just held them back.

i love to skate

Medalist
colleen, I'm a little concerned too.

1. If the new age requirements were to go in effect for the 2010-2011 season, then P/I aren't eligible for juniors, so the leap to seniors makes sense on that basis. R/H I understand a little better. They had the third highest FD at 4CC this year, despite not competing a senior level FD internationally, and they themselves may be tired of the junior circuit and wanna see how they stack up against the seniors (there's something to be said for competing against teams clearly ahead of you and strive to achieve that level).

I agree, Ralph and Hill have been skating on the Junior International circuit for three years. I imagine they are quite tired of it and ready to move up. As for P/I, I am guessing they want the challenge of skating seniors.

2. I'm a little surprised to see you so down on W/P, i love to skate. While one might question their progress early on in their partnership, I felt this year showcased them quite strongly. A strong FD, their first GP medal, winning Four Continents (yes, an emaciated field). Given that they actually made Canada's number two spot a battle this season, I would expect even further progress. Yeah, they need to make improvements, but that's true of every team not named Virtue/Moir (fanbot voice). Paul/Islam have intriguing choreography and interesting musicality, but they are so rough around the edges. R/H need to improve speed/ice coverage. W/P have issues with mental conditioning, it seems (always little bobbles here and there).

I do think that W/P have improved over the years, especially in their performance levels. However, I don't see that great of an improvement or as much as I was expecting to see, as they were hyped quite a bit in 2007 when they first appeared. They are still fairly messy and very slow. I also don't see much originality in them, she looks and skates like a mini Shae Lynn. Just my opinion.

I agree that R/H do need to improve their speed but I noticed a big difference this year as compared to last year. P/I do need more polish, but since they have only been skating together one year, I think that will come. Since V/M are sticking around at least for another year and with C/P close to breaking into the top tier of ice dance (I think they will be at least top 5 at the World Championships this year), I absolutely understand why Skate Canada is pushing for these young and fresh teams to get as much experience as they can.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
is Keegan Messing still skating the Junior circuit, then, as he's not on the list for a senior assignment, or did he get shafted?
Messing has elected to return to the JGP and therefore did not submit his name for GP selection; same with Christina Gao.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:unsure: Well, I'm not reassured about the Canadian Ice Dancers yet..Skate Canada doesn't have their GP assignments for the upcoming year posted yet, that I can see... I find their site somewhat frustrating and their updates often tardy..yet you would think, if they've notified the ISU, they could update their own site.:scowl:

They do have a blurb announcing that they've ( Skate Canada and the national conference of coaches ) made recent decisions that will help the sport evolve , which they'll announce soon... Hmmmm:think:waiting to see. Sometimes in the past , I've felt that their grand plans have been heavier on the PR and lighter on results.

Anyway , I am concerned about H-M/C. 23 and 26 is not particularly old for Ice Dancers , so where are they ? Unless have an injury , it would seem an odd time to retire, when they've had such recent improvement and good reception from international judges

Arrrgh.. I have to come back in a bit.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They do have a blurb announcing that they've ( Skate Canada and the national conference of coaches ) made recent decisions that will help the sport evolve , which they'll announce soon... Hmmmm:think:waiting to see. Sometimes in the past , I've felt that their grand plans have been heavier on the PR and lighter on results.

maybe they'll announce that they've duct taped Elvis Stojko's mouth shut so he can't embarass them with his unsportsmanlike comments.

one can hope.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Other than the possibility of a Kim appearance, what else is there?? I guess there is Ando, but she is usually quite lackluster in the beginning of the season. On paper, it really is a battle of second-tier skaters- Suzuki, Wagner, Leonova. But since it is a post-Olympic season, can't expect that much.

Maybe NHK has the highest potential, with three American contenders plus Asada and Kostner. But it is the first event this year- and last year's first event was supposed to be this massive showdown, this mini-Worlds which turned out to be a dud. Kim ran away with the title and everyone else was quite underwhelming. Big possibility I may sit out this series.

Kanako will be at NHK too :), it will be interesting to see how she stacks up next to the seniors. And COR does have a lot of second tier skaters, but it will be interesting to see them all go head-to-head, especially if they all skate well, to see who comes out on top.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not believe USFS is saving the ladies TBA spot for Sasha. They did that last year, and she withdrew. Besides, Sasha considered doing the GP only as a preparation for her Olympic bid, which ended with her 4th place at Nationals. I doubt very much that Sasha is interested in competing any more.

I think the US ladies with one assignment --- Dobbs, Gilles, Musademba --- will be vying for that spot.

seniorita

Record Breaker
maybe they'll announce that they've duct taped Elvis Stojko's mouth shut so he can't embarass them with his unsportsmanlike comments.

one can hope.
Tbh, i found his comments ab quad as annoying as Browning + Chan recent comment on radio that bielman spin is not very manly. :rolleye: