Skaters Underappreciated in their eligible years that you respect more now | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters Underappreciated in their eligible years that you respect more now

Layfan

Record Breaker
Re: Skaters Underappreciated in their eligible years that you respect more now

:yes:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Actually, although the judges were not as good to Matt as they might have been, Matt was always salivated over by many skate fans. However, that was because there was a lot to like there.

A skater I always liked was Aren Nielsen. He had a loose and easy style that made him tremendously enjoyable to watch, with the right music. He won a National bronze once. It may have been the year he skated to the sound track from Rocketeer. I don't know whether he was literally underappreciated by the judges--he probably earned just the right scores for his quality of performance--but it's nice to think of him in a thread like this.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I can't believe NBC's Olympic Figure skating DVD's show all the ladies-Cohen, Meissner and Hughes but the for the men they just do Weir and Lysacek and just ignore Savoie completley! Savoie was the best there.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Are you serious? That's absolutely shameful. Savoie skated well at the Olympics.

A skater I always liked was Aren Nielsen. He had a loose and easy style that made him tremendously enjoyable to watch, with the right music. He won a National bronze once. It may have been the year he skated to the sound track from Rocketeer. I don't know whether he was literally underappreciated by the judges--he probably earned just the right scores for his quality of performance--but it's nice to think of him in a thread like this.

I had never seen anything from him before so I went and searched around - yes he was a very good skater! 3rd at Nationals two years in a row, including 1994. Sadly he didn't get to go to the Olympics. I wonder why the U.S. only had 2 spots...the placements of the top 2 American Men were 4th and 6th at 1993 Worlds. That is definitely sufficient for earning 3 spots. I guess the rules for qualification were different back then, though. That's too bad.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Are you serious? That's absolutely shameful. Savoie skated well at the Olympics.

I had never seen anything from him before so I went and searched around - yes he was a very good skater! 3rd at Nationals two years in a row, including 1994. Sadly he didn't get to go to the Olympics. I wonder why the U.S. only had 2 spots...the placements of the top 2 American Men were 4th and 6th at 1993 Worlds. That is definitely sufficient for earning 3 spots. I guess the rules for qualification were different back then, though. That's too bad.

My understanding was the the medalling nations automatically got three spots and no one else did. Matches the results anyway.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

It was said that Scott Hamilton had an ear infection, which affected his jumps.
Considering how poorly he skated in the LP, I believe it.

according to Scott's book he suffered from some sort of sinus cold/infection that got progressively worse as the week progressed. he was also feeling the enormous pressure to bring home the gold towards the LP so I'm sure he did like all other skaters do in that situation, blame the illness :laugh: I haven't had the pleasure of seeing decent footage of the 84 men's event so I can't say who should or shouldn't have gotten gold. Scott's book seems telling because it almost reads as if even he didn't think he should have won it based on that night and won it, instead, due to his being the dominate skater for four years.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thanks for mentioning Matt and Shizuka!

I remember Aren Nielsen. He seemed to really enjoy skating (even if he didn't get the top results). It was nice to see him live in a show called "Skating Romance #3 (Atlantic City, NJ, 7/97 - which had a stellar cast - Brian B., Michelle, Brian O. Caren Kadavy, Underhill & Martini, Yuka, Roca & Sur ...).

Toni, please don't feel bad when I say this. As much as I like Scott, I have to admit I was pulling for Brian O. back in 1984. I realize there were compulsory figures back then, and that's what held Brian down. I was also pulling for Brian O. in 1988 (thrilled that he was back), and so sorry I didn't follow FS thoroughly between 1984-1988. That all changed during and following the Calgary Olympics. I still consider the "Battle of the Brians" the greatest men's competition ever. Both Brians were great, and I also went nuts over Midori Ito from that point on.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

It wasn't a particularly good performance. I recall him messing up the triple flip and doubling a jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CyJVuFjhY

Here's Orser. He did a triple axel. But Dick's right-the spins were nothing much. And Orser's sit spin position was always a non-sit (no 90 degree angle) kind of nasty squat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFgEPqw09IU&feature=related

Orser finished ahead of Scott in the LP. So the question is, should Cerne or Sabovchik or Boitano have finished behind Orser but ahead of Scott. Orser needed others to beat Scott for him to win.

Here's Josef Sabovchik who finished 3rd. He had a very messy fall at the end of the program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwVmuoMo8RQ

I couldn't find Cerne's LP-and Dick Button liked Cerne better than Sabovchik.

Boitano's LP can't be viewed in the US, but here it is, for those that can see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbbHlguZl4Q

Last edited:

according to Scott's book he suffered from some sort of sinus cold/infection that got progressively worse as the week progressed. he was also feeling the enormous pressure to bring home the gold towards the LP so I'm sure he did like all other skaters do in that situation, blame the illness :laugh: I haven't had the pleasure of seeing decent footage of the 84 men's event so I can't say who should or shouldn't have gotten gold. Scott's book seems telling because it almost reads as if even he didn't think he should have won it based on that night and won it, instead, due to his being the dominate skater for four years.

I had that impression about Scott, too. He wasn't satisfied with his performance at all. It says something lovely about him in terms of honesty and sportsmanship that he was willing to reveal that feeling. By the way, his book, which I believe is called Landing It, is one of the best skaters' books around. It's eminently worth reading.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

The youtube clip I posted includes the interview with Scott after his skate, for those who want to compare what he said at the time, and what he said in his autobiography.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

Doris, would you mind summarizing what Scott said at the time? The youtube clip is not likely to work for me. I have off-the-top-of-my-head recollections that Scott has frequently said over the years that he most definitely did not have the kind of skate-of-your-life that he would have liked to have had at '84 Olys and that he always wanted to win gold with a best-ever skate. But I don't come close to remembering what he said right after the performance in 1984 and I would love to compare.

BTW I was wild for his 1980 LP, not that I remember any specifics at this point but I remember loving the program at the time, and 1980 Olys was the start of my FS fandom (mostly due to Hamilton and David Santee).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Gail why would I be upset? Scott, yes, is a "hero" of mine but he is far from what I consider the greatest skater of all time. I cant watch the clip while at work but IIRC from his book he said he felt like he had to defend himself after winning the gold.

and speaking of Santee, and Scott's book, Scott wrote if there was one skater he could give his 81 gold medal to it would be David.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

David skated absolutely great in Hartford in 1981. But Scott was better :)

But what was most amazing was seeing the 2 of them at a practice. No one else was on the ice but Scott & David, and they were so fast, the ice seemed full!

seniorita

Record Breaker

Savoie's sp in 2006 was magical, he started with a flying spin! And I loved the music. And his Lp was wonderful, dont remember the music, but I remember the clothes!
And one of skaters were transitions were really for a purpose than checking the boxes! I think I remember watching and think " aaa these are the transitions people talk about":laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

But what was most amazing was seeing the 2 of them at a practice. No one else was on the ice but Scott & David, and they were so fast, the ice seemed full!

oh to have seen them! sadly that was four years before I was born ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

skatesindreams

Rinkside

How wonderful that you saw that!

Before the start of the Gala at the 1980 US Championships, Dick Button asked David Santee to demonstrate his death-drop, including ssme "splats", so that we would realize how difficult it was. He did!

Someone started a thread dedicated to Angela Nikodinov. I think she ought to be considered in this thread, as well. Her quiet, graceful presence added a lot of class to the American roster.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

It's true. Plus you can't get more underappreciated thanto have Dick Button say that your skating was a good time for a refrigerator break.