Weir plans to compete at Sochi Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir plans to compete at Sochi Olympics

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
but he isnt exactly "going on". It is not like he is competing this season or probably anytime soon, even if he were to return to try for the Olympics. It is alot harder to come back after a break at that age then if you are keeping up with the competition grind. And then to come back and try and make a strong and deep U.S team where in your most consistent year of skating you barely made it last time.

Skaters like Van Der Perren never really had a realistic hope of medals so are ok with declining results and have an easy path to qualification out of their countries.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Would people say the same like Weir about Sochi, that he should not miss seasons and start competing again to have time and opportunity if it was Evan? Does the condition or the titles matter for qualification? I dont know in which condition are both anyway. Just Johnny twitted that he got 3axel back.
I just read Evan has two competitive programs ready(said by Dennis Ten) and was really surprised. I dont know, can we post a link from icenetwork?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Goodness, this thread has become much ado about nothing.

1 Johnny should do whatever he wants.

2. Am I convinced this is going to happen? Nope. Plushenko had the advantage that he's the most dominant figure skater of our time skating for a country that fell on hard times within the sport (aka, his federation would have no problem with him coming back). He's a ferocious competitor (how many skaters could take three seasons off from competing than just barely miss the podium?). He's insanely driven. Jonny... well, regardless of my personal opinion of him, he's skating for the nation with arguably the second deepest men's field currently going (behind Japan, natch). His federation doesn't seem to care for him (seniorita, I think that's the reason him missing the team in 2009 is thought of so profoundly. There's no earthly reason for him to miss the team, regardless of how he skated, especially since there were mitigating circumstances). I can't really imagine him having the success someone of his level wants (this is the same reason I question Plushenko in Sochi, fwiw) and if that's the case, all he has is love of the sport. Which I think is awesome and all, but I'd rather see Wier skate to "Poker Face" than attempt a COP program in four years.

seniorita

Record Breaker
no IN links in The Edge.
I m sorry to ask, it is a little late and I didnt remember at all honestly!I was sure I had asked in the past again, wasnt sure for the answer! And of course lazy to read the rules :)

ImaginaryPogue yes I can get why he lost the team in 2009 although I was a little puzzled then because his season went fine until then. At the end I also prefer the Pokerface program(i also like his new one) instead of a boring CoP he will have to make and who knows by what rules until then.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well for those of you who think Weir should have been placed on the 2009 World Team after finishing 5th at Nationals who should they have been bumped? Abbott or Lysacek were never going to be bumped for Weir. That leaves Mroz who ended up 2nd overall and 1st in the LP at Nationals didnt he.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Top 5 at 2009 Nationals were:
1. Abbott 241.89 1 1 (86.40 SP/155.49 FS)
2. Mroz 229.70 4 2 (74.88/154.82)
3. Lysacek 229.10 2 4 (83.59/145.51)
4. Bradley 221.40 5 3 (74.05/147.35)
5. Weir 203.99 7 5 (70.76/133.23)

sunny0760

On the Ice
Would people say the same like Weir about Sochi, that he should not miss seasons and start competing again to have time and opportunity if it was Evan? Does the condition or the titles matter for qualification? I dont know in which condition are both anyway. Just Johnny twitted that he got 3axel back.
I just read Evan has two competitive programs ready(said by Dennis Ten) and was really surprised. I dont know, can we post a link from icenetwork?

Sochi is a long way to go. If he plans to compete in Nationals 2011 / World 2011 or GP next season, it would sound more realistic.
If Evan has two competitive programs(I read the article), we may actually see him compete in the near future along with (maybe) Johnny!

I think if the two (rivals) are not to retire soon, that will be good for figure fans and ordinary people's interest in FS in general.

Off topic but if I want someone to do really well at Sochi, it will be Denis.