Weir plans to compete at Sochi Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir plans to compete at Sochi Olympics

gold12345

Medalist
You never know, Johnny could be in contention to make the Olympic team. Most of the U.S. guys right now are inconsistent even on 3A's, so he wouldn't necessarily need to do a quad. We don't know what Mroz, Abbott, or anyone will look like in four years. If Johnny wants to go for it, then good for him. If he comes up short, so what? It's great just to try. I think skating in an Olympics in Russia would be an honor for him, regardless of how competitive he is internationally by that time. If he's still healthy, able, and willing to skate in his late 20s, then he should go for it. I won't hold my breath though. He's already been at two Olympics.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would have nothing against Weir competing in 2014 Olympics, but it seems rather unlikely considering present US male skaters. Besides, Weir is not a skater, who can skate to CoP-programmes as I saw from his freeskate in Vancouver. He was able to handle the jumps, because of the watered-down choreography, but such easy choreography (= programme) does not bring high PCS as we saw from Vancouver.

I understand that Weir´s book will be published soon, maybe his wishing to skate in Sochi is just plain attention seeking?

Last edited:

ballerynna

Rinkside
Johnny's always said he wants to compete in Sochi, he even made mention of possibly skating for a different country because he knows how deep the field in the US is. My impression is that he really wanted to take a few years break and try for Sochi either for the US or some other country

Jo1

Rinkside
Mathman you are wrong about Michelle's age. She's 30. She was born in July of 1980. You do the math. Ha.

ooh, thanks, Seniorita. I have been feeling very jealous of Europeans because they get to see such a wonderful show. Kings on Ice: what a glorious concept!

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Oh, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny... There are no words.

His competitive career at this level is essentially over. Surely he knows that. The thought of him competing in the 2014 Olympics is absolutely ridiculous. If only he would've put half as much effort into his skating as he did his fashion or the other side things that he spent so much energy on over the years, things might have turned out differently for him, but alas, we can't turn back time. Rather than embarrass himself as a pathetic has-been who attempts a pointless comeback in a few years, he should focus on making as much money as he can by entertaining people with his skating.

Edit: And Johnny is no Plushenko. Really, people.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny... There are no words.

His competitive career at this level is essentially over. Surely he knows that. The thought of him competing in the 2014 Olympics is absolutely ridiculous. If only he would've put half as much effort into his skating as he did his fashion or the other side things that he spent so much energy on over the years, things might have turned out differently for him, but alas, we can't turn back time. Rather than embarrass himself as a pathetic has-been who attempts a pointless comeback in a few years, he should focus on making as much money as he can by entertaining people with his skating.

"Rather than embarrass himself"..........hmm.....are you talking about Joubert or Werner? Or Oda at Worlds?
What strange comments when Johnny was not the one to embarrass himself at Vancouver.

I am not suggesting Johnny can return and make the USA Natl team - although I would not rule it out.
But these comments about "embarrassing himself" seem soooo far from the reality of his last competitive performance.

If we were to go by comments made on this thread then many skaters from the Men's field were guilty of embarrassing themselves last season at the GPF, Olympics and Worlds.

Last time I watched - Johnny was not one of them.
Please - opinions are fine but try and have the slightest semblance of facts behind some of these absurb comments.

I still wonder what is the point of trying to rush skaters into retirement?
I guess a few of you lost sleep over Fumie's last skate :think:
Glad to hear it and nice some of you are not "suffering" in silence :laugh:

It wouldn't be impossible for someone as gifted as Johnny to reinvent himself as a pure athlete dedicated to breaking the age barrier... but it sure would be out of character. I think this is just to keep himself viable as a skating personality.

It's too bad I don't really believe the story, because I'd absolutely love to see Johnny push himself and stay in top competitive form, with really beautiful, emotional new programs.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
"Rather than embarrass himself"..........hmm.....are you talking about Joubert or Werner? Or Oda at Worlds?
What strange comments when Johnny was not the one to embarrass himself at Vancouver.

I´m not sure, but I think that MrScroogeMcDuck meant, that Weir would embarrass himself in 2014, if he tries to come back. It was not about Vancouver.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I´m not sure, but I think that MrScroogeMcDuck meant, that Weir would embarrass himself in 2014, if he tries to come back. It was not about Vancouver.

Well let's just look at the facts - half a dozen of the Men competing this season could have been said to have "embarrassed themselves" last season.

And yet some of these same skaters are winning medals or challenging for the podiums this season.
My point is that I think fans against a return from Johnny have failed to back it up with an intelligent remark so far.

I have no doubt he could return next season and at the least be a podium challenger at GP events and most likely at US Natls.

Therefore I find most of the anti-comeback posts not just wrong but laughable.
Now, it is surely possible Johnny is just "being Johnny" and trying to hype his book or whatever.
The funny thing is I was never a big Johnny fan - but never doubted he was a superior skater.

I agree with Button's comments from Vancouver - less worrying about the costume and causing controvery - and just get back to the skating.

Even if Johnny irritated the hell out me at times - he is a good skater. I think it is possible we have not yet seen his best. Maybe from a technical point I am wrong - but is Chan really so much more artistic than Johnny?

Some guys are great jumpers. Chan apparently has the GREAT SKATING SKILLS.
Johnny's skating maybe had something else - something I find missing in the new CoP era.
Maybe it is called personality and soul. Maybe it is daring to be different. I never cared a thing about his costumes - but have never said he was not a very good skater.

Posters are relating to Johnny as if he automatically qualifies to go. He's not automatic as part of the team. He must face the US Nationals first and skate better than most of the boys there.

If the Nats were being held in 2011, would he beat Abbott, Mroz and Rippon, all of whom are showing a lot of strength right now.

If the Nats are held in 2014, I could not truly answer that until 2013 GPs. Who will be top dog in 2013 as well as the two runner ups?

IMHO, If he is serious about Sochi, he should be skating competitively right now.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny's skating maybe had something else - something I find missing in the new CoP era.
Maybe it is called personality and soul. Maybe it is daring to be different. I never cared a thing about his costumes - but have never said he was not a very good skater.

I think it´s daring to be different, especially to compete in CoP-competitions with an almost 6.0 freeskate programme. I have had the impression for quite some time, that Weir does not fit into CoP era, he just can´t skate to a CoP freeskate, which is a lot more demanding than a 6.0 freeskate. He can do the jumps, but the rest of the programme? He was a good 6.0 skater, and also in early CoP he had the possibility to win an Olympic medal in 2006. His international career has brought him just one World bronze. Would he be able to repeat even that, if he continues after the current season? Maybe he could be the second best US skater in Worlds, but that means that he should be among top 3 in US Nationals.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
He cant skate talor-made CoP programs. The programs Wilson made him last year were not good, didnt highlight the skater, kind of the same as Joubert's Lp this year. Apart from his 2006 and 2007 programs, The Love is War program was wonderful though.
The mullet he (Weir) grows lately is a start, never underestimate the power of it.:biggrin:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I am not suggesting Johnny can return and make the USA Natl team - although I would not rule it out.
But these comments about "embarrassing himself" seem soooo far from the reality of his last competitive performance.

I see your English reading comprehension is worse than my sometimes.:laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even if Johnny irritated the hell out me at times - he is a good skater. I think it is possible we have not yet seen his best. Maybe from a technical point I am wrong - but is Chan really so much more artistic than Johnny?

Some guys are great jumpers. Chan apparently has the GREAT SKATING SKILLS.

Chan is a huge judges pet contrast to Weir whose own federation doesnt even like and who never got any gifts from the judges. And Chan skates super complex choreographically programs, always has level 4s, and maximizes the hardest jump layouts he can do depending on if it is a 2 triple axel program or a quad program. Johnny in fact is probably just as "artistic" but that isnt what the second mark is about really anymore. The biggest difference between Johnny and Chan in PC categories isnt even skating skills where Johnny himself is one of the best probably. It is in choreography, transitions, and even performance where Chan is not really the best either but Johnny with his introvertedness and simple choreography really doesnt excel.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Chan is a huge judges pet contrast to Weir whose own federation doesnt even like and who never got any gifts from the judges. And Chan skates super complex choreographically programs, always has level 4s, and maximizes the hardest jump layouts he can do depending on if it is a 2 triple axel program or a quad program. Johnny in fact is probably just as "artistic" but that isnt what the second mark is about really anymore. The biggest difference between Johnny and Chan in PC categories isnt even skating skills where Johnny himself is one of the best probably. It is in choreography, transitions, and even performance where Chan is not really the best either but Johnny with his introvertedness and simple choreography really doesnt excel.

If I agree with what you wrote - I would still ask you to go back and read it again. Tell me where you make a point that Johnny is so washed up he must quit. :think:

You won't see it because you and no one else wrote anything like that.
Why is it OK for Kevin V to go on - but not Johnny? Do you know how bad Johnny would have to skate to place lower than Kevin?

I haven't seen one comment yet that makes a point for one of the top 10 - maybe on a good night top five skaters in the world to retire.

What silliness :disapp:

Last edited: