Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Skate

Custom Title
    being suprised at seeing kanko got a higher psc than rachel, i personally agree with it. rachel doesnt have speed in her skating.
    also her jumps looks so heavy, which cant make huge GOE like kanako.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If Kanako is so flawed - then what does it say about the Ladies she is beating
    Seriously.

It's like the bumper sticker on the back of your car: "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Many great smiles before and after Janet and what I wrote was noting a few of the comments like "I hate her cutesey program."

We all have different taste and thank goodness we see variety from skaters.

Some might not see it this way but Kanako's SP - the way it is presented is pretty good representation of some of the swing dancing from the 40's when the world was at war and "over the top" did not exist. It was about getting wild and silly and Kanako pulls off that feeling of abandonment pretty well. Some might not like it but the judges don't seem to mind
    You're quoting me, so I'll respond. You said it yourself - everyone has different tastes, and some might adore Kanako's presentation while some might find that 'wind-up doll' style abhorrent. I happen to belong to the latter group. I might have found her SP more palatable if I felt that her "over the top" energy was genuine, but to me it just looked very 'turned on'. It came across as terribly cheesy and as if she was playing up far too much to the judges. That kind of "Oh, you gotta adore me cuz I'm just so gosh darned cute!" attitude is one that I find insufferable not just in skating, but in everyday life as well.

So, there you have it - I just can't stand Kanako's style of skating. It has nothing to do with her as a person, for I'm sure she's a perfectly lovely young lady. To suggest that the only reason why people can't stand her skating is because they're fearful that she represents a major new threat to their favorites speaks much of your narrow-mindedness.

Custom Title
    congrats to kankao-good skate
    rachel--great skate. nice personality--keep it up.
    carolina kostner-keep trying good for you for placing in medal round
    victoria--good skate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    You're quoting me, so I'll respond. You said it yourself - everyone has different tastes, and some might adore Kanako's presentation while some might find that 'wind-up doll' style abhorrent. I happen to belong to the latter group. I might have found her SP more palatable if I felt that her "over the top" energy was genuine, but to me it just looked very 'turned on'. It came across as terribly cheesy and as if she was playing up far too much to the judges. That kind of "Oh, you gotta adore me cuz I'm just so gosh darned cute!" attitude is one that I find insufferable not just in skating, but in everyday life as well.

So, there you have it - I just can't stand Kanako's style of skating. It has nothing to do with her as a person, for I'm sure she's a perfectly lovely young lady. To suggest that the only reason why people can't stand her skating is because they're fearful that she represents a major new threat to their favorites speaks much of your narrow-mindedness.
    A fair enough reply - and if I appeared to quote you it was not personal as I think there have been several posts that share your POV.

I have no idea if Kanako can just switch on her enthusiasm - but it seems real enough to me. Watching her with her coach along the boards before she comes out to skate I see it too. I think she is cute but her appeal to me is the joy of skating she seems to show. She looks like she is having fun and that appeals to me on certain levels. It is a quality I get from Akiko as well even if it is a more grown up version of it.

I don't see how it is narrow minded to notice the attacks - some kind of ugly on Rippon and now Kanako. Whether you noticed or not - they were not attacked like this until they started making podiums and winning.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Not everyone is as crazy about skating as I am...most people only notice a skater or team after they have first challenged for a podium spot. For one thing, the newer skaters and teams are not as easy to find on TV. So when they are noticed, that's when they will be criticized.

Additionally, if there's a skater or team you don't like something about at first sight, why would you start a thread saying, for example, I can't stand the skating of Stupida Smith who I saw skate at Liberty.

Would I say she was a junior star, but I didn't like her skating as a junior. Now that she is a senior, I don't like her as a senior as well. Only her SP was shown on US Sports (which not everyone has), and it is the same lame program as last year. She finished nearly last in both her GP events. What purpose is it to dump on the poor girl? No one would do it. OTOH, if somehow the disliked team or skater finished 4th somewhere or better, I might say something about what I don't like about her. Or not. I generally only get critical of teams or skaters that I think can improve.

Typically, if I'm discussing a lower ranked team, I like to point out as much as possible, what they are doing right, to encourage them (should any of their family be reading). Or mention things they can fix easily, like hair or costumes.

I don't think that's that uncommon a response.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Three ladies,
    (1) best GPF result
    (2) best Nationals result
    (3) federation recommendation

Mao's in for sure (either #2 or #3). My gut feeing is that Kanako and Miki (#1), who's pretty consistent, will get the go, leaving Akiko out. Too bad. Her programs for this season are not as good as her last, but I enjoy her more than Miki. An upset could leave Miki out and Akiko in, but Kanko's in for sure. She's getting loads of media coverage as the rising star who combines the best out of Yu-na and Mao. Don't think Akiko gets as much love & it's not like the Japanese fed doesn't curb a few rules for a media favorite (Miki & Yukari 2006).

I haven't seen the programs yet, but Kanako got straight +2 GOE (although with 0.7 factor) for her 3T-3T Does that make her the second lady with a 3-3+2.0 GOE after Yu-na?

Congratulations to the medalists, esp. Kanako for her first senior gold!
    TEB will tell us which Mao will show up. Mao need to win TEB convincingly, but IMO I have no idea why she is re-doing all her jumps. Her Loop is great, her Flip is O.K, and she is getting more consistent on her Sal and Toe. It seen fixing the flutz or Lip is causing inconsistency problem for all ladies, Mao, Miki, Ashley and flutz/lip jump still get more point than falling or poping a jump. Mao should work one jump at a time and shouldn't keep all her eggs in one basket. If she do another NHK la bomb at National, JFS shoudn't send Mao to World no matter if you a world champ or not. Either way, Mao is out of GPF.

That leave Miki and Akiko. If the Akiko wins, and Miki get Silver both will be in for GPF. Off the three, I see Miki will be finishing off the highest in the GPF unless she bomb. Between Akiko and Kanako, both has issues that need to be address with flutzing and underrotation, but Akiko does have advantage in PCS department and rightly so. Either way, its a learning process for Kanako and she is just out of junior circurt. She has time to fix her technique and her PCS mark should go up higher in time. She already has a reputation as a Jr World Champ, so I say she is on the right track. Lets just hope the puberty God is in her favor over the next 2 years.

Custom Title
    I'm not a big fan of Rachael's skating--that catch-foot spin, in particular, has to go--but I do feel that she is being unfairly held back by her PCS marks. No matter what she does, the marks stay in the mid-6, give or take a little, range. What is wrong with her choreography, for instance? If it is in her performance/execution, then mark her down there (which they do) but don't penalize her twice. That said, she would have won the gold had she not blown the lutz combo in her short program. I guess Rachael will just have to depend on technically difficult programs, executed perfectly, if she wants a chance at gold. The podium is certainly well within her reach, even if she makes a mistake. And finally, I remain disappointed in her styling. I don't like the short hair, hate the over the boot tights and red is not her color!

I lked Kanako's cutesy-spunky SP just fine. (And I think Janetfan's observation is well taken that Kanako's was the only ladies' short progrm that NBC thought was fun enough to show on network TV.)

Of course next year I will be expecting a more sober and mature approach -- after all, she will be 17.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I've noticed Kanako since she was on the junior stage and my feelings about her remain the same. I like her personality but she doesn't wow me as much. For now, my like for her is on the same level as Akiko. (That is like, but not a strong like). I think it comes down to personal preferences. I prefer skaters who are more lyrical like Mao and Yukina. Perhaps, this will change when she matures later on.
    But I do agree that she is a jewel in the current lackluster field of ladies skating. I was more wowed by the juniors earlier in the season, which might suggest something about the contenders for Sochi.

Custom Title
    After watching the ladies, I have a few things to say:

I actually think Joshi is the better Helgesson.

Jenna McCorkell's best days are behind her

Min-Jung clearly is made to be a pairs skater

Alexe needs a new coach

Gede needs to die the hair back. Her lutz rivals Sebestyen's though.

Mae needs a new costume designer and intensive ballet classes. Nice jumps though.

Lacoste has a monster 2a but this was undermined by her choice of music.

Caroline still has a lot of work to do.

Rachael is still as reliable as ever. Dress was a huge improvement.

Kanako is adorable but was a little sloppy for me. I would have her 2nd. Oh and the dress has to go.

Carolina was a little disappointing but she's injured and I was happy to see her not meltdown.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Except FlattFan is incorrect. Flatt's 3Lz+2T got downgraded to a 3Lz<+2T. It was obvious on the replay; one of the commentators on NBC pointed it out. Kanako did not get any positive GOE for her flutz. If the technical caller is so biased, then why did Kanako get downgrades as well?
    Incorrect in what? Rachael did a 3Lz+2T, did she not? She got a 4.6, did she not?
    I don't know what you're talking about because I saw it on DVR and they DID NOT show any of her jumps on the replay. They did in the short program. After the LP, all they showed was her at the Kiss and Cry with Tom Z doing the push up. If you are going to lie, at least pick an obscure event where no one has access to the DVR.

I thought that Rachael deserved higher scores in choreography and interpretation. The performance definitely went along with the musical selection, both in concept and in execution.

Most skating programs have nothing much to do with the music at all. You can watch them with the sound turned down and play any music you like while watching the tape.

You know I am not much of "wuz robbed" type of fan but sorry, Rachael was.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    You know I am not much of "wuz robbed" type of fan but sorry, Rachael was.

Not much of a Flatt fan myself, but I think I agree with some of the sentiments here. Rachael should have scored a bit higher in the LP, particularly in the components. Whether she should have won, my gut feeling is yes, although she did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by messing up her short program.

The crazy thing about the new CoP rules is that while underrotations are not as heavily penalized as before, GoE's are factored by less than 1 so that poor execution is also not as heavily penalized any more. In the end, while the absolute penalty for underrotation may be smaller, relative to other mistakes it is still about the same if not greater! So the results will likely be the same as before: "clean" looking programs with downgrades and underrotations will still lose to "unclean" programs with fully rotated jumps.

That's not even taking into account the new incentives the tech panel faces. While in the past a tech caller might have been more lenient out of mercy since downgrades were excessively punitive, now that the penalty is less they don't have to give the benefit of the doubt.

The new rules could (and probably do) actually hurt Rachael, Mirai and other skaters prone to calls of underrotations even more than before.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast