Rising Russian Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rising Russian Ladies

gmyers

Record Breaker
Makrova needs a lutz. Or a flip done consistently. She nails short programs with her 3/3 of a triple toe her loop and her double axel but always goes down in LP's because of her lack of content. She needs content. She is in worse shape for the future than Leonova -who has the content but can be really inconsistent. Makarova has a great presence on the ice that continues to stand out. Makarova could be done after this years Russian nationals if Shelepen and Biryukova do better than her and Shelepen than moves to seniors.

oleada

Record Breaker
It's not just Shelepen she needs to worry about. Polina Korobeynikova and Polina Agafonova did well in the JGP, Roza Sheveleva has good basics and all the triples and beat her in last year's Nationals LP already (even though she didn't recover in time for the JGP), and Anna Ovcharova is back from her injury.

If she does not perform well, she could realistically finish behind all those ladies as well as Linpitskaya, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was thinking this too. Julia is pretty sturdy for a 13 year old figure skater. Usually the wonderbabies at this age are all beanpoles, but Julia is more muscular, her build is more typical of a gymnast, and because of this, she really jumps her jumps, doesn't just whip them around. I think she should probably survive puberty fine. I also like her dramatic flair, but would love to see her branch out and try different types of music and see her go for more difficult jump layouts in her programs (I think she's definitely capable of 3lz-3t or 3f-3t).

I was trying to think of a way to put this, but you explained my thoughts exactly. She just looks "sturdy" out there, her posture on her stroking and into her jumps looks like she has a very strong core. She reminds me very much of Irina or Baiul from that aspect, who even at a young age had that athletic look on the ice. You don't see that too often; even great skaters like Sasha, Mao, (and a couple of gold medalists before Arakawa ;) ) had that whippy look to their jumps at a young age. Because of that I can enjoy her programs. I don't cringe as she's entering her jumps and wonder if her bad technique will lead to a fall.

seniorita

Record Breaker
It's not just Shelepen she needs to worry about. Polina Korobeynikova and Polina Agafonova did well in the JGP, Roza Sheveleva has good basics and all the triples and beat her in last year's Nationals LP already (even though she didn't recover in time for the JGP), and Anna Ovcharova is back from her injury.
Is any of the girls apart from Shelepen eligible for Euros and Worlds this season? I think Agafanova is her 3d year in juniors, right?
I think from the whole season I m looking forward to ladies and pairs at RN!

gmyers

Record Breaker
All those girls would be eligble for worlds 2012-you have to be 15 by JUly 2011. I just thought Shelepen was the most likely to go to senior after Russian nationals. Agafanova could - they all could.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
All those girls would be eligble for worlds 2012-you have to be 15 by JUly 2011. I just thought Shelepen was the most likely to go to senior after Russian nationals. Agafanova could - they all could.

Well, any of the ones that oleada listed (just to clarify.) Sotnikova's too young (BY A SINGLE DAY!) and so is Liza (not 15 until January)...Julia's just barely age eligible for JGP this year, and will just barely be age eligible for the Olympics.

Imagine if Sotnikova had been born in 1998 instead of 1996...that would have really sucked for the Russians to have her miss Olympic eligibility by a day. Thank god for them it's not the case.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is any of the girls apart from Shelepen eligible for Euros and Worlds this season? I think Agafanova is her 3d year in juniors, right?
I think from the whole season I m looking forward to ladies and pairs at RN!

In age order, Biryukova, Shelepen, Sheveleva, Ovcharova, Korobeynikova, and Agafonova are all age eligible for Euros and Worlds this season because they all turned 15 before the July 1st deadline (Biryukova and Shelepen are already 17 and 16 respectively). Sheveleva and Ovcharova did not compete on the JGP this season because they were nursing injuries this summer, but AFAIK they are both healed now and will be competing at the Russian Cup events and presumably Russian nationals, so they do still have a chance to be selected should they skate convincingly there. Shelepen is definitely in the JGPF and Korobeynikova has a decent shot to make it as well, and Agafonova doesn't have great odds but still has a chance to qualify too. Biryukova doesn't have a consistent lutz or flip so is sort of in the same boat as Ksenia, but she did do quite well at Finlandia this past weekend so she may be on an upward swing. Where the 3 wonderkids aren't eligible, the spots on the World and Euro teams this year are pretty much wide open. Oddly enough, I'd say Shelepen is maybe looking like the best bet at this point, but of course if she starts being inconsistent again like she was all last season, that could all change especially because her PCS aren't doing her any favors, but so far this season, she's looked VERY strong technically.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really like Agafanova and Sheveleva from these girls and now Ovcharova. Shelepen I had seen in JW two years ago and was not impressed much, the rest of the girls I have only see once in RN last season.

Lazlo23

Spectator
Sotnikova's too young (BY A SINGLE DAY!)
Actually it's even worse. Adelina was born 01.07.1996 at 05:30 am. So she is too young by freaking 5 and a half hours!!

But there is the other side to this story. Adelina was born prematurely only 7 months into the pregnancy. She had to be put into an incubator to survive and couldn't even be fed with milk, so her mother fed her with oatmeal kissel throughout her infancy. Adelina was only 1kg 200g(2.64 lbs) and 36 cm(14.2 inches) at birth. If the pregnancy went well she would probably have been born in late july or august. Who knows, maybe those 5 and a half hours that don't let her participate in 2012 European and World championships also saved her life.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Actually it's even worse. Adelina was born 01.07.1996 at 05:30 am. So she is too young by freaking 5 and a half hours!!

But there is the other side to this story. Adelina was born prematurely only 7 months into the pregnancy. She had to be put into an incubator to survive and couldn't even be fed with milk, so her mother fed her with oatmeal kissel throughout her infancy. Adelina was only 1kg 200g(2.64 lbs) and 36 cm(14.2 inches) at birth. If the pregnancy went well she would probably have been born in late july or august. Who knows, maybe those 5 and a half hours that don't let her participate in 2012 European and World championships also saved her life.

Great story! Really puts things in perspective.

Thanks for posting those; I'd never seen her before. I love the layback where she throws out her arms. With that long body she makes great shapes on the ice, and I like the way she uses her head, but there is a bit of stiffness in her knees, something like Kimmie Meissner, and the bent leg on her pancake spin bothers me. Did she just grow a lot? She seems quite slow compared to the others.

babayaga

On the Ice
She seems to be quite tall, her height is listed as 168cm. I don't know when she grew so much since I also saw her for the first time at this JGP. Hope she doesn't get any taller though :)