Rising Russian Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rising Russian Ladies

miki88

Medalist
Doesn't Julia also flutz? She didn't get called at the last competition but she got edge calls before.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Doesn't Julia also flutz? She didn't get called at the last competition but she got edge calls before.

It's a pretty slight flutz; she hides it pretty well. I thought she still flutzed here but I paused it on Youtube and definitely do not have the technology that the judging panel does, so I can't be sure.

lcd

Match Penalty
I supect selecting the Russian ladies' European and World teams over the coming several seasons is going to be a dog fight on par with Japanese nationals. The electricity in the arena and nerves required for the short programs come Russian nationals will be thrilling to see. Youth and the ability to maybe not appreciate the magnitude of what they have gotten themselves into, is probably a protective strength. Can't wait.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Adelina is incredible. I love her confidence, speed, lines, presence, and oh yeah, her redonkulous jumps! I think she's made it through puberty without losing anything which is very encouraging (she's listed as 5'3" or 5'4"). She was much smaller in 2009; looking at her now, she has a tall and long look on the ice that is gorgeous. She has a charisma, strength and power about her that I just love. I want to see her improve her lutz technique as well as work on some of her spin positions. We'll see if she and her team have reconstructed her programs now that she's senior; last year her programs were completely front loaded...If she makes these adjustments, I just can't see anyone touching her...

I like Liza T's energy and spark. She looks like she's having fun out there and that's always refreshing to see. I love how solid her technique is; it's so rare to see in skaters nowadays. She has the difficulty in her jump combinations and her spins are decent...except for that layback, which is rather deplorable.:eek: I'd like to see Liza T take on some better choreography. I would also like to see her work on her posture--she's a little hunched and she holds her arms a little awkwardly. It's not awful...it's just distracting. Lastly, we have to see if she's going to grow anymore. She's bigger than she was last season but she's still so little. I think she'd make it past puberty without any problems (solid technique) but if she doesn't get any taller I think that might hurt her. She's so tiny...it really lessens her impact on the ice, especially next to taller skater.

I'd say Julia is very far along for 13 years old. I'm not terribly impressed by her though. I like that she doesn't look awkward, like most 13 year olds...her spins are undeniably incredible...but aside from that, I don't see much else yet. Her jumps are nice; but so are the Polinas's jumps (Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Agafonova). I think she's definitely improved since last season but I'm anxious to see more than just her nice jumps and bendy spins. She's got time to grow though, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

But at this point and time, Adelina is definitely my favorite.:biggrin:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
As long as her muscles are strong enough her flexibilty won't be a concern. If you look at the best rhythmic gymnasts in the world you will see this too. They are as strong as they are flexible, and that is the main clue.

I was thinking this too. Julia is pretty sturdy for a 13 year old figure skater. Usually the wonderbabies at this age are all beanpoles, but Julia is more muscular, her build is more typical of a gymnast, and because of this, she really jumps her jumps, doesn't just whip them around. I think she should probably survive puberty fine. I also like her dramatic flair, but would love to see her branch out and try different types of music and see her go for more difficult jump layouts in her programs (I think she's definitely capable of 3lz-3t or 3f-3t).

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I also like her dramatic flair, but would love to see her branch out and try different types of music and see her go for more difficult jump layouts in her programs (I think she's definitely capable of 3lz-3t or 3f-3t).

I don't think she needs to be pushed any harder than she already is, what with her being 13 and all.

I just hope that she doesn't get ultra-curvy, like Elena Gedavanishvilli, who was very promising as a junior, but struggled with the jumps when she developed hips and breasts, which interfere with rotation.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think she needs to be pushed any harder than she already is, what with her being 13 and all.

I just hope that she doesn't get ultra-curvy, like Elena Gedavanishvilli, who was very promising as a junior, but struggled with the jumps when she developed hips and breasts, which interfere with rotation.

I know, I just mean, where she's winning by HUGE margins already, why not push herself and try for a 3f-3t or 3lz-3t? Even if she makes mistakes she'd likely still win by a lot! And Julia doesn't look like she'll be really curvy to me, I more just meant she doesn't have the string bean build that Liza has or Polina S had a couple years ago. She is built more like Polina Agafonova, who has grown a lot in the offseason but still has a small, compact build similar to that of a gymnast. But oftentimes this kind of build is good for jumping, for example Slutskaya. And even though Julia is tiny still, she is much taller and stronger looking than last season, and her jumps seem bigger because of it, so hopefully this trend will continue.

Vash01

Medalist
Julia's body looks mature for her age, in a pleasant way. She looks more like a 15-16 year old than a 13 year old. May be she will stop growing at an early age?

prettykeys

Medalist
Julia Lipnitskaya is quite amazing, but just to be nitpicky, I thought that her LP could have been skated with a little more sensitivity to the music. This is a very minor point, since she is still so young and has plenty of time to gain musicality and presentation skills, but given that the other Russian girls are so good, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Liza T is my favourite of them so far because she has the most spark to my eyes. :biggrin:

LeCygne

Final Flight
Liza T is my favourite of them so far because she has the most spark to my eyes. :biggrin:

More love for Liza here. I just like her because she's not balletic or classical. I could see her developing a very unique style as she gets older, which will be refreshing to see. If she could improve her spins, she'd be even better.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^No, in 2013-2014 she will be senior eligible.

My favs so far are Tukt and Julia, and Radionova that will debut next season in juniors!

oleada

Record Breaker
^No, in 2013-2014 she will be senior eligible.

My favs so far are Tukt and Julia, and Radionova that will debut next season in juniors!

I love all the girls so far, they're all so different. But I have to say Radionova's joy and expressiveness in the ice is really awesome to watch.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Julia's body looks mature for her age, in a pleasant way. She looks more like a 15-16 year old than a 13 year old. May be she will stop growing at an early age?
Julia has grown a lot during the summer, about 10 cm or so. She is 151 cm now, and I think she filled out a bit too, she doesn't look a tiny kid anymore as she did last season. And the good thing is that it didn't affect her jumps, actually she jumps even higher now and gets more speed on the landings. I think we should thank her coach for that, she really knows what to do, Polina Shelepen had grown a lot too in the last two years and never stopped doing all the jumps and 3-3 combos.

As for these three girls, Adelina, Liza and Julia, I like them all and can't choose one. They are very different and each has the qualities I like. I like Liza for her gorgeous jumps and beautiful arms, Adelina for her lines, great skating skills and huge 3-3 and 2A-3T combos, and Julia is just unique with her flexibility, amazing spins, efortless jumps and confidence

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Speaking of fantastic Russian ladies, I'm not ready to give up on Ksenia Makarova. She is certainly going through a tough period right now - but if she overcomes it, she has great potential. She is, of course, a bit older (19?) - but I think the maturity can be to her advantage.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Speaking of fantastic Russian ladies, I'm not ready to give up on Ksenia Makarova. She is certainly going through a tough period right now - but if she overcomes it, she has great potential. She is, of course, a bit older (19?) - but I think the maturity can be to her advantage.

Don't forget Elena Leonova! She is still young herself.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That's Alyona Leonova :) Some Alyonas are in reality Yelenas who are just called Alyonas - but Leonova is a real Alyona :)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
That's Alyona Leonova :) Some Alyonas are in reality Yelenas who are just called Alyonas - but Leonova is a real Alyona :)

Thanks, Ptichka! Elena Leonova is that rather acrobatic pairs skater, who skates with her husband, Andrei Khvalko