Does any one else remember this? | Golden Skate

Does any one else remember this?

Vash01

Medalist
I had never seen this. It's hilarious! I never thought Debi Thomas could do comedy. She is as good as Dan Hollander or Laurent (the French skater) in this. Thanks for posting the link.

BTW I love your Avatar.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good gravy! I thought everyone who had been around for a while had seen Debi's Wanda Beazel routine. I was glad to see it again, since I hadn't seen it for a while, and I hadn't seen it with Toller Cranston's commentary, which is even better!

Debi was a great exhibition skater. Here she is with another great exhibition skater, Vladimir Kotin, bringing the house down. This program developed from a schtick that they put together on a whim at the Goodwill Games of 1986 in Moscow. Kotin had been doing a Michael Jackson routine for some time, but this is the first time he did it with a partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainW6rWLwaA

She is also a very good person. Here she is talking about WOGO, Women's Orthopedic Outreach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmkYSLWMM8

Last edited:
I always loved Debi's skating. She had a power and flow that most women of her time lacked (including Witt in my estimation). And she looks fabulous on the ice today in the Caesar's tribute. I especially enjoyed seeing her in that interview tape you found, Doris. I love it when skaters go on to accomplish something impressive outside the field. (I love it when they go on to accomplish something inside the field as well, like Kurt and Kristi.)

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Good gravy! I thought everyone who had been around for a while had seen Debi's Wanda Beazel routine. I was glad to see it again, since I hadn't seen it for a while, and I hadn't seen it with Toller Cranston's commentary, which is even better![/url]

I was born in 1989, so I was sort of too young. But I downloaded some old skating clips and I could not help but find this performance absolutely fantastic! Cranston's commentary is also really good.

silverpond

On the Ice
I was born in 1989, so I was sort of too young. But I downloaded some old skating clips and I could not help but find this performance absolutely fantastic! Cranston's commentary is also really good.

Since when is anything prior to 1989 "old"? Give us a break, please.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To bad the skaters now don't seem to have this kind sense of humor to do a exhibition like this. They all play it safe. Debi had the makings of a great comedian.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Since when is anything prior to 1989 "old"? Give us a break, please.

Um, it's a whole generation ago, if you think about it. But no one said it was old to begin with. And some folks came into skating in 1989 or after. It's not my fault my parents didn't have me until 1985, for example, and not earlier...

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight

Maybe the more appropriate word should have been 'older'?
No worries. You can't make everyone happy. There's always gonna be someone's feathers to step on. Hehe.
But I will say that I can totally tell the difference in attitude from say..a band's message board to a figure skating one.
People can be kinda snippy. :eek:hwell:

I was born in '84 so I can understand where you're coming from.:biggrin:

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Maybe the more appropriate word should have been 'older'?
No worries. You can't make everyone happy. There's always gonna be someone's feathers to step on. Hehe.
But I will say that I can totally tell the difference in attitude from say..a band's message board to a figure skating one.
People can be kinda snippy. :eek:hwell:

I was born in '84 so I can understand where you're coming from.:biggrin:

I totally understand your point! :biggrin: It's just a bit annoying how snippy some can be, especially since not everyone here has English as their native language, and that group includes me. :laugh:

Spot on Tonichelle! Something that happened 24 years ago, even 10 years ago can be considered old! :biggrin: