Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition! | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition!

emma

Record Breaker
If true - wow! But, I'm sick as a dog today and have zero energy to read through anything including this thread. So apologies in advance, but is there a specific competition already planned in which he will participate?

Boeing787

On the Ice
Two things need to be taken into account:

1. Skating men's single is far more demanding both physically and technically than skating pairs.
2. Zhao was world Champion a couple of times before he retired, but Sandhu didn't even get a medal at the worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
1. Debatable. Mybe different kinds of demands.

2. Zhao came back at 36 and Sandhu is not yet 31, almost a puppy in cmparison. :) But they both felt they had unfinished business. Methinks Sandhu is not aiming for an Olympic Gold medal.

bsfan

On the Ice
You can't compare one person's 30's to another's 30's but it has nothing to do it with the official system. Poineering Chinese skaters went through poverty and personal hardships in their long journey to competition success. Yao Bin had to fight for government money to establish his Pairs program, leaving teenaged P/T behind on their own without a coach for 5 years while he trained S/Z. Even today, Chinese fans often question if it is a matter of money that promising Chinese skaters don't get to go overseas for top choreography. OTOH many in the West often question the psychological impact of young athletes being away from their families.

In the West, federations pay different degrees of attention and support to different skaters too. The less talented, or what you call those who don't get to the top, are left to their own devices also.

There are pros and cons in all systems at various times. I'd rather credit individuals for their success and personal health, which can be achieved or abandoned in any system.

I think we do agree on some points. There are pros and cons in both ssytems.

But I need to point out that when "poineering Chinese skaters went through poverty and personal hardships", average Chinese were having the same problem. During that time, training in sports system was a better choice for many kids. When they didn't get much prize from competitions, they didn't have to pay for the training either. I remember during a TV interview Zhao talked about leaning pair skating in Russia at the early stage of his career. Whey they prepared for Olympics, the federation got a top therapist from America (or maybe Canada). Together with other therapists, they would give them same hours of treatment as training every day. Individuals health, I think, has more to do with the system.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whey they prepared for Olympics, the federation got a top therapist from America (or maybe Canada). Together with other therapists, they would give them same hours of treatment as training every day. Individuals health, I think, has more to do with the system.

If a young athlete had it easier than other kids in China, it was not better off than most Western kids and young athletes, which is what we are comparing.

American and Canadian athletes have access to the same therapists as Zhao too. Zhao was told how long it would take for his injury to heal, as long as it would for any other athlete, state sponsored or not. He would be lucky to even start skating by Olympics time. It was personal will, grit, and the "cruel" demands from his partner, that created a miracle for them to not only compete but won a medal in the Olympics. I always say everything starts with the mind. Not the system.

This superhuman feat by Zhao is better compared to Canada's Silken Laumann whose courage and determination are greatly admired as well. Heroic human spirits know no borders or political systems.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You can't really compare skater to skater. Gordeeva/Grinkov got first Olympic pairs gold, left for 6 years, then came back and got another Olympic pairs gold. How many could do that? If Sandhu wants, by all means, do let him try. He has never had any big international win except that GPF that Plushenko gave to him. So he has nothing to lose. The worst scenario is to leave the unfinished business unfinished.

Last edited: