Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Even I'm excited about Sandhu, I dont believe Chan needs to watch out. Chan has always been overscored and nobody can beat him even if he falls 10 times at Canadian Nationals. If Miracle strikes, Sandhu might get on the podium and that should be enough for his fans.

Contagious?:laugh:

At first I thought this was a big joke. But after watching his skating, I think it's possible for Sandhu to be competitive within Canada. There is such a huge gap between Chan and the rest of the Canadian men's field. It's possible Sandhu's PCS difference could make up for his lack of TES if he could get all his jumps back without a quad.

Where is Lambiel?! I want him back!!!

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
haha my husband correctly guessed that Sandhu was skating to Purple Rain (I had the sound turned off when I was first watching the AOI number). Guess it must have been that purple shirt that gave it away.

Wow, that man's extension! I could watch him all day. Best of luck to him in his competitive comeback.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
30 is not terribly old for a dancer and that is what he's been doing with much of his time since he retired from competitive skating, which explains how he retained his flexibility.

I want Lambiel back too, Bluebonnet. At least we get to see him skating professionally.

I think it's awesome that Sandhu is trying for a comeback. He's like no one else, and if he's managed to solve his headcase problems, I think he'll do pretty well. Will he end up on the podium? Who can tell? But when he's on, he's glorious. I watched him in the Canadian dance contest on TV and was thrilled. The videos in this thread are also splendid. Check out the program in Shanghai, where Lang-Lang is playing the piano live, and Sandhu skates and then dances in shoes.

One "elderly" skater that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet (my apologies if I've just not noticed) is Elaine Zayak. She competed in I think 1994 and came in fourth. She was named an alternate for the Olympic team. At the time, she was 28.

OK. He's a skating god. His line is to die for. And he looks very fit.

However, there's a long, long way from this kind of program, with all the posing and arm-waving, and a jam-packed COP program, short or long. He missed a lot of his jumps even in these numbers. We'll see. It would be wonderful to see him put it together, though.

evangeline

Record Breaker
If Emanuel is back, I wonder if Joanne Mcleod will be his coach. Instead, I would love to see him work with someone like Rafael Artunian to whip his jumps (particularly the axel) into shape.

sgower

Rinkside
That was also my first question - who is his coach now? He is listed as skating at North Shore Winter Club, so perhaps he is no longer with Joanne? Anyone know?

Boeing787

On the Ice
Neither Sandhu nor Browning can beat Chan in PCS if they are competiting again. Jeff Buttle's PCS was almost 4 points lower than Patrick's in Japan Open last October. He lost to Patrick in almost every department. Only his PE was 0.04 point higher that was because Patrick fell three times and he didn't fall at all.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
That's just funny. That's really funny.

No, please tell me the guy is not serious.

Anyway, this thread is rather fun. At least he deserves the thanks for that.

On the subject of skaters who have an X number of falls advantage over someone else, and since this is actually a Michelle Kwan thread :)...Scott Hamilton, commentating at the 1998 Olympics, gave Michelle a two fall advantage over Tara.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
On the subject of skaters who have an X number of falls advantage over someone else, and since this is actually a Michelle Kwan thread :)...Scott Hamilton, commentating at the 1998 Olympics, gave Michelle a two fall advantage over Tara.

:laugh:

Neither Sandhu nor Browning can beat Chan in PCS if they are competiting again. Jeff Buttle's PCS was almost 4 points lower than Patrick's in Japan Open last October. He lost to Patrick in almost every department. Only his PE was 0.04 point higher that was because Patrick fell three times and he didn't fall at all.

I think Buttle is so smart that he won't come back...... could I be wrong?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It's hard for older returning skaters to beat a young current world champ who also grew up and has competed entirely under the "new" scoring sytem. But each of these Canadian champions have their own styles and qualities. Sandhu's impressive artistry is truly unique and creative and he's the only superbly artistic Canadian skater who also had the big jumps including the quad at his prime, unlike Swayer, Britten, or ealier Canadian greats Cranston and Beacom. That made him stand out as a very special talent. He could have been a Lambiel if not for mental issues.

I'm also curious to see how much of a diva he may still be. :)

Boeing787

On the Ice
It's hard for older returning skaters to beat a young current world champ who also grew up and has competed entirely under the "new" scoring sytem. But each of these Canadian champions have their own styles and qualities. Sandhu's impressive artistry is truly unique and creative and he's the only superbly artistic Canadian skater who also had the big jumps including the quad at his prime, unlike Swayer, Britten, or ealier Canadian greats Cranston and Beacom. That made him stand out as a very special talent. He could have been a Lambiel if not for mental issues.

I'm also curious to see how much of a diva he may still be. :)

Since he is coming back, let's how the judges will judge him.

Lambiel is the only one who can beat Patrick in PCS currently.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But those are youngsters who have potentials, not 30 something ex-champions.

Just goes to show winning is not the only goal of competing. Many, from youngsters to a KVDP or Suguri, know their own chances and potential and still compete.