Mao Asada's Mother Condolences Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's Mother Condolences Thread

Vash01

Medalist
So many skaters have lost someone close to them lately. Not liking the trend. Wonder if we'll see Mao the rest of the season...

She will definitely need to take some time off to grieve privately. When she feels like skating, she should. I think by March she may feel ready to compete at worlds but it's hard to say how anyone will react/respond to a loss like this one. I do believe she will be back next season because she is a competitor and she obviously loves to skate.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Joannie was also already at teh event and her mother passed away there in teh same city, not billions (or so it would feel at a time like this) of miles away... it's easier to stay away in Mao's case... and I agree, she should get the love and support she needs and should not feel pressured to do anything she's not ready to deal with.
I feel today like when Joannie was in Vancouver and I read the news. Mao is so young to have this loss, I still get shocked by stories like this even for people i dont personally know, I have a plan to wake up early tommorow and buy my mum flowers and bring them home.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I want Mao to take time off and be with her family, but something tells me she will not only continue on, but use this tragedy to spur her on. Kyoko Asada was very instrumental in her daughter's career--she took her to Tarasova for coaching.

She will definitely need to take some time off to grieve privately. When she feels like skating, she should. I think by March she may feel ready to compete at worlds but it's hard to say how anyone will react/respond to a loss like this one. I do believe she will be back next season because she is a competitor and she obviously loves to skate.

In Joannie's mind, the skating goal was something the entire family shared in, so she remained in the competition even in the darkest moment. Similarly, Mao might want to resume skating this year because it mattered so much to her mother as well as to her. But really, no one knows until the moment what feels right, and Mao will have to let her instincts and needs guide her. She may realize that she just can't think of skating during this period, or she might find that it's the skating that makes order out of chaos and that keeps her steady.

But today, what matters is the terrible loss. I hope that the family finds comfort, though goodness knows that won't happen anytime soon.

emma

Record Breaker
Like all of you, I am so saddened by this news. My heart goes out to Mao and her family, friends, loved ones.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
In Joannie's mind, the skating goal was something the entire family shared in, so she remained in the competition even in the darkest moment. Similarly, Mao might want to resume skating this year because it mattered so much to her mother as well as to her. But really, no one knows until the moment what feels right, and Mao will have to let her instincts and needs guide her. She may realize that she just can't think of skating during this period, or she might find that it's the skating that makes order out of chaos and that keeps her steady.

But today, what matters is the terrible loss. I hope that the family finds comfort, though goodness knows that won't happen anytime soon.

Agreed, Olympia. No matter what happens, the whole skating community is behind Mao.

Nadine

Record Breaker
FOR MAO:

"A Day in the Life", which was written in honor of John Lennon's mother, whom passed away when a car hit her, thus John said this song was about her and that day it happened (btw it is the 21st anniversary of John's death today; he died on December 8th, 1980; I remember the day well). :(

A DAY IN THE LIFE LYRICS

(Lennon/McCartney)

I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grave
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book
I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in second splat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
and Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on

And this equally phenomenal program by Jeremy Abbott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFAO4kSgj0 (the first time I saw it was here, oh my, I will never forget that day as well). :)

quikrush

Rinkside
Deepest condolences to all concerned. It must be terrible to lose one's mother at such a tender age.

periperi

On the Ice
I found out over twitter as well and it felt like my heart literally stopped for half a second. My deepest condolences to Mao and her family. What a terrible ordeal this must be.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
this is just so sad. Mao didn't even get to see her Mom one last time. My prayers are with her.

The Mainichi Daily News link given in the post above is a good article, written in English, about the situation. It talks about why Cinquanta won't have a moment of silence in the arena, and I think he makes a valid point. He says that the ISU sent letters of condolence to the Japanese federation, other Japanese "sports entities," and the family, and that because it was a private situation, it wouldn't be appropriate to have a public moment of silence. The article goes on to talk about the reaction of several skaters, including Carolina, who was shocked and teared up when told about it by the Japanese reporter, and Suzuki, who said she was strengthened by seeing all the Japanese flags in the arena. Nobuo Sato, Mao's coarch, expressed worry about how the loss of Mrs. Asada would affect Mao, as the bond was strong between mother and daughter.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sending our condolences to Mao, Mai, and family. This is so sad. Their mother was SO young!

chloepoco

Medalist
Mr. Asada made a statement: he apologized for any trouble (worry) they caused; funeral will be private as per the wishes of his wife; Mai and Mao, upon seeing their mother's peaceful (pain-free) face, realized that her suffering was over; please keep Mai and Mao in your thoughts---(very, very rough translation, and unfortunately, don't know how to word it with the eloquence of Mr. Asada)

http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/2011/12/10/0004674489.shtml

prettykeys

Medalist
The Mainichi Daily News link given in the post above is a good article, written in English, about the situation. It talks about why Cinquanta won't have a moment of silence in the arena, and I think he makes a valid point. He says that the ISU sent letters of condolence to the Japanese federation, other Japanese "sports entities," and the family, and that because it was a private situation, it wouldn't be appropriate to have a public moment of silence.
That was the right thing to do. The Asada family appears to be quite private--to the extent that few skating fans knew of what was going on, it seems--and to have publicized the terrible news further would have gone against that, I think. My heart goes out to them.