Mao Asada's Mother Condolences Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's Mother Condolences Thread

skateluvr

Record Breaker
RIP, Mrs. Asada. Everyone loves Mao. She will come back as she is as skater for life I think. I just read this and was shocked. I did not know anything about her family.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Tear falls.....Cirrhosis of the liver is one of the many reasons I have been an organ donor all my life....when I die, strip out all the usable parts to help a few good people and their families....here's hoping for strength for the family and always remember, Mao, YOU WILL GET OVER THIS and honor your family with your beautiful performances.....
Chris the orphan

Mr. Asada made a statement: he apologized for any trouble (worry) they caused; funeral will be private as per the wishes of his wife; Mai and Mao, upon seeing their mother's peaceful (pain-free) face, realized that her suffering was over; please keep Mai and Mao in your thoughts---(very, very rough translation, and unfortunately, don't know how to word it with the eloquence of Mr. Asada)

http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/2011/12/10/0004674489.shtml

Thank you for the translation. It's comforting even to me, a stranger, that Mrs. Asada's face looked peaceful and without pain at the end. Surely this will help the girls at least a little. I'm so glad Mai and Mao have each other and their father to lean on.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
This is the saddest news I have ever heard about in the figure skating community. My prayers go out to Mao.

No really I haven't heard news this bad in awhile. This is the worst news I have heard about the loss of a family member in the skating community .
Remember Jennifer Kirk Losing her Mom to breast cancer.
Remember Angela Nikodinov losing her mom in Portland just before nationals 2005 and Elena Tcherkaskaya from cancer in 2001.

This is such a tragedy.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Heartfelt condolences to the Asada family. I, too, am sorry that Mao could not be with her Mom at the last moments.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Jeff Buttle's tweet: My thoughts and prayers go out to Mao, Mai and the extended Asada family. Kyoko's daughters are a true testament of how amazing she was.

Sorry if this tweet has been already mentioned, but I thought it was very heartfelt.

The news about Mao returning home from Canada and then not making it in time... it was just too much to take.
My deepest condolences to Mao and her family.

mary01

Final Flight
According to this http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20111212-OYT1T00807.htm?from=popin, Mao will skate in nationals. Such a brave girl!

My goodness, she is brave. I hope she can keep her concentration up. I understand the need to throw oneself into one's work. It's the only part of one's life that still seems understandable. Continuing on one's path brings some order into the chaos.

I hope the good wishes of her fans and her countrymen will help to sustain her as she skates.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Someone on Mao's forum translated some words of Mao, published by her agency. You can read them here: http://maoasada.logu2.com/t1075p270-mao-news-the-2011-2012-season

Thank you for the link, Mirunna. The part about how she checked emails as soon as she arrived at the airport only to hear from her dad that her mum 'couldn't hold on' made me cry again. And "every time I left Nagoya I said to myself this could be the last"... Oh my god, there was so much going on.

What a brave girl Mao is. Good luck to her at Nationals.

Hanaka

Rinkside
Someone on Mao's forum translated some words of Mao, published by her agency. You can read them here: http://maoasada.logu2.com/t1075p270-mao-news-the-2011-2012-season

Thanks Mirunna for posting the link.
Tak on FSU also posted a translation of Mao's message (whole message?).

Dear persons who have rooted and supported me
Dear members of skating community
Dear members of the press

I would like to apologize for causing so much worries, and also for pulling out of a competition immediately prior to actual start of skating.
At first, when I received the news at Quebec, part of me wanted to return immediately, and another part of me was wondering "Is it alright to withdraw at such inopportune timing?" I was torn, but I soon realized that I made the right decision.
All during the flight back, many things passed through my mind. Mostly, I was praying, believing that my mother would be waiting for me.
However, when I arrived at Narita Airport in Tokyo, I received a mail from my father which said "Your mother could not pull through." I could not stop crying. Even then I held on to a slim hope and rushed back to the hospital in Nagoya. I called to my mother many times, "It's Mao, I'm back." However, my mother who was sleeping peacefully never opened her eyes.
I am proud of my mother who fought the disease for so long and so hard. There is also a part of me who is relieved that she is now beyond her suffering.
For past six month, her condition was such that every time I left Nagoya, I had to contend with the fact that this may be the last time to see her. I may be still in disbelief, but for some reason, now I sense that she is looking after me and close to me than ever before.
There is simply not enough words of gratitude that Mai and I could express to thank our mother for all her love which has been showered on us.
To honor her, I would like to keep a promise I made to her and to my family. I promised to strive the best I can to achieve my dream. I think this would satisfy her wishes. Therefore, I will continue to train intensely, just like before.

It would be highly appreciated if you would continue to cheer and support my endeavor.

Mao Asada