Patrick Chan | Page 186 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's the quote from Patrick about his frustration:

“I felt a lot of anger at myself…frustration and also like giving up,” Chan said. “Thinking I’ll just leave and go home….Up to the point where they announced my name [for the free skate], I didn’t want to be here. That’s natural with how my days have been going here.” Chan says he’s been excessively nervous . He has had shaky practices all week. He doesn’t know whether to blame his mindset, the ice, or jet lag. “I also have to remind myself that it’s my first year back,” he said. When he returned, he hadn’t bargained for the stress that comes with competition, he added.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...--weaver-and-poje--in-the-zone-231526057.html

Hmmm... Well, now he really knows the difficult challenges that he faces ahead, I hope. He needs to have more self-compassion and develop more mental toughness to deal with failure. Why do I find myself worrying about him a lot? :console:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
His step sequence last night was breathtaking.:eek:

Welcome to the fest, mustafakent!

No one in the world can do what Patrick does on ice even if they can do better in the air above the ice. With incredible blade control, turning, twisting, shifting, often on one foot with deep deep edges, he does not just generate speed but varies it with precision and perfect timing with the music and exquisite dance moves. No one, absolutely no one, combines such powerful and intricate blade work with the total body musical and artistic expression. The great John Curry did his ballet with simple steps and glides, some can skate with speed and fancy footwork with much simpler or meaningless arm and body movements, some slow down or even stand still for artistic expression. No one, absolutely no one, marries the master blade work with such deep felt musical interpretation. When an artist masters the skills, they are just part of the total expression. A performance artist becomes one with his art, thus the subtly different nuances in each performance as who he is at the time, as MIM so beautifully and appreciatively noted and expressed. Each viewing reveals something new with more to discover.

Last edited:

mustafakent

On the Ice
Welcome to the fest, mustafakent!

No one in the world can do what Patrick does on ice even if they can do better in the air above the ice. With incredible blade control, turning, twisting, shifting, often on one foot with deep deep edges, he does not just generate speed but varies it with precision and perfect timing with the music and exquisite dance moves. No one, absolutely no one, combines such powerful and intricate blade work with the total body musical and artistic expression. The great John Curry did his ballet with simple steps and glides, some can skate with speed and fancy footwork with much simpler or meaningless arm and body movements, some slow down or even stand still for artistic expression. No one, absolutely no one, marries the master blade work with such deep felt musical interpretation. When an artist masters the skills, they are just part of the total expression. A performance artist becomes one with his art, thus the subtly different nuances in each performance as who he is at the time, as MIM so beautifully and appreciatively noted and expressed. Each viewing reveals something new with more to discover.
I know.That is why he is my favourite skater even though he is not the best jumper in the field.But his skating is very special and it differentiates him from others no matter what.

iceberg

On the Ice
iceberg, thank you for your post. glad that you can appreciate his skating as much as we do here... We are crazy about it ;) welcome to the peaceful chan fan thread, where (we hide from the haters who hang out on the other sections of the forum)

i too am crazy about it. superb work of art indeed. i dont care what other people say about him i feel like its so hard to find masterpiece programs now and watching pchan and mao asada and their artistry amidst the circusphere in figure skating now, is whats keeping me survive this sport. For me his chopin lp is his and nichol(choreographed if im not mistaken?) very best to date! [emoji8]

iceberg

On the Ice
Welcome iceberg! You and your new found appreciation for Patrick's skating are exactly what he has been skating for. After blazing a trail with superb skating skills and pioneering the new quad era, he changed his focus to artistry under the much snickered choice of a coach while others are riding the tidal wave of quad filled programs.

He is back and it may take some time to ease back into the competitive mind and body, but he is on track with his long term plan. I believe he will get back the TES advantage again by next season. The road back is little bumpy but he has proven to be worthy of our faith in him.

This thread is more than a retreat from the often unpleasant bias and even hostility, it is a fest, a celebration of Patrick Chan. :hap10:

thanks vi! i can easily say that pchan for me is the winner this season. If we are talking about the total landscape in a long program what we saw in the grand prix finals pchans lp is superior to anyone in the field. Just the quality is unmatched.

iceberg

On the Ice
I know.That is why he is my favourite skater even though he is not the best jumper in the field.But his skating is very special and it differentiates him from others no matter what.

just like what i said about mao as well, her jumps maybe prone to criticism but her artistry and skating is what differentiates her from the rest of the field.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
With Patrick's skating, commentaries become superfluous and distracting. My favorite version is therefore from the ISU itself.

I notice each time Patrick puts out a memorable performance, Kathy and Mike Slipchuk always hug each other in joy, and then with Patrick when he gets off the ice. I believe they are emotionally invested and really do care about him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i too am crazy about it. superb work of art indeed. i dont care what other people say about him i feel like its so hard to find masterpiece programs now and watching pchan and mao asada and their artistry amidst the circusphere in figure skating now, is whats keeping me survive this sport. For me his chopin lp is his and nichol(choreographed if im not mistaken?) very best to date! [emoji8]

iceberg, this Chopin program is choreographed by David Wilson who, along with Jeff Buttle, has been Patrick's choreographer since 2012 when Krall resigned and Nichols left with her.

I've admired Mao's determination and effort to retrain her jumps and to get the 3A in her arsenal after she had already accomplished so much. She was on top in fact, with Yuna. She sacrificed glory and medals in pursuit of the goals important to her and I believed in her. So She and Patrick have this stubborn mindset of setting their personal goals in common, regardless of the trend, the competition and the sacrifices required. Despite all the criticism, much of which very unkind, they keep on their paths. They were already the best in the world but they sought to be even more complete and ever closer to perfection. They didn't choose the easy path. Mao even had to suffer her mother's ill health and death along the way.

They are both on the comeback trail which is not a smooth journey but success is theirs, one way or another. I believe they will also regain well earned podium glory, in the manner they want for themselves.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
omg... watching this without commentary, just listening to the emotion in the crowd made me tear up... i knew i was in love already... but yeah.... for those who say that chan doesn't emote.... watch him throughout the e minor prelude section... every single part of his body is connected to the music and projecting the perfect melancholic nature of the piece. I love you Patrick.
With Patrick's skating, commentaries become superfluous and distracting. My favorite version is therefore from the ISU itself.

I notice each time Patrick puts out a memorable performance, Kathy and Mike Slipchuk always hug each other in joy, and then with Patrick when he gets off the ice. I believe they are emotionally invested and really do care about him.

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
iceberg, this Chopin program is choreographed by David Wilson who, along with Jeff Buttle, has been Patrick's choreographer since 2012 when Krall resigned and Nichols left with her.

I've admired Mao's determination and effort to retrain her jumps and to get the 3A in her arsenal after she had already accomplished so much. She was on top in fact, with Yuna. She sacrificed glory and medals in pursuit of the goals important to her and I believed in her. So She and Patrick have this stubborn mindset of setting their personal goals in common, regardless of the trend, the competition and the sacrifices required. Despite all the criticism, much of which very unkind, they keep on their paths. They were already the best in the world but they sought to be even more complete and ever closer to perfection. They didn't choose the easy path. Mao even had to suffer her mother's ill health and death along the way.

They are both on the comeback trail which is not a smooth journey but success is theirs, one way or another. I believe they will also regain well earned podium glory, in the manner they want for themselves.

how eloquent you are vi! so so true! i totally agree with you in connection with that, i like what tracey wilson said after maos lp that for her she looks and feels that the mao now is skating for herself. exactly the same that i see in pchan.

mustafakent

On the Ice
just like what i said about mao as well, her jumps maybe prone to criticism but her artistry and skating is what differentiates her from the rest of the field.

Then I have to disagree with you until Mao learns to skate like a woman, when it is necessary.She is very good at classical pieces, of course.But Patrick's skate always looks effortless and he can skate to any type of music.

Jombi

On the Ice
Ah, I almost missed your post. Welcome and thank you for being part of Patrick's goal fulfillment. I'm so happy for patrick and hope he knows how many people he's reached and moved since his comeback starting again with lower BV but high performance.

Thank you for the kind welcoming!
I just want to add that in this LP there's a sense of certainty and inevitability that confers an aura of gravitas to his performance: it appears like every step and movement needs to be inevitably followed by the exact next step/movement Patrick actually does and that is the only right possibility contempled (...otherwise we are lost, cit.).
There are no many programs that made me feel this way.

Hope this makes sense, otherwise please someone rewrites it in proper english. :)

ps I still want him to get a new coach though

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i got what you meant... no need to feel badly about your English.

I feel the same way... there are very few programs where I have felt that way...
Chan's FP 2015 (I liked the version at SC better though)
Chan's FP TEB 2013 as well

Virtue and Moir Mahler 5 at Vancouver 2010

I just want to add that in this LP there's a sense of certainty and inevitability that confers an aura of gravitas to his performance: it appears like every step and movement needs to be inevitably followed by the exact next step/movement Patrick actually does and that is the only right possibility contempled (...otherwise we are lost, cit.).

Hope this makes sense, otherwise please someone rewrites it in proper english. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Ah, language is no barrier to beautiful expression of heartfelt appreciation of art by connoisseurs like you and MIM. :2thumbs:

Please consider crediting Johnson for helping Patrick achieve the level of ideal figure skating you appreciate so much, perfect merging of athletism and artistic expression with the exquisite flair of modern dance.