Patrick Chan | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Durian, I am very happy to just come here to read about Patrick without my input. Also happy that now more Patrick fans have surfaced. I am not nostalgic about the days when I joined to be one of the lonely few who dared to spoil the fun of daily Chan bashing. I like sitting back and just being entertained by Patrick and his fans.

Ha ha, here's another breaking news from SF:

Patrick Chan returns to Toronto after gold-medal performance

Thanks SF. Patrick looks refreshed and very happy. Where was Mrs Chan? She probably took another route to avoid the camera.

Hey SF, Patrick-ubering won't be the same with you taking a back seat. NOOOO way! :biggrin: All Patrick-ubers must UNITE and be merry, happy, funny, joyful and active. This thread must and will live on until Patrick retires. We will send Patrick positive vibes and energy everyday. Right FELLOW UBERS ! :rock:

Oh yes, last but not least, thanks to Doris for starting this safe thread for us. :bow:

Last edited:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Patrick's new gala number is extremely mesmerizing! Kudos to Patrick and Jeff!
I've already watched it countless times. His amazing performance won the praise of many Japanese skating fans.
I'm sure they were struck in awe of his superior skating and artistry.

But why some people keep saying his skating is soulless and robotic?
When I first watched him skating on TV more than four years ago, he'd already got great musicality and artistry, and I felt as if he were playing the music with his whole body.

Though I love all of his gala numbers, this is the best! It's so surprising he's been showing us new Patrick all the time.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
But why some people keep saying his skating is soulless and robotic?
When I first watched him skating on TV more than four years ago, he'd already got great musicality and artistry, and I felt as if he were playing the music with his whole body.

It's because he doesn't use his face much and skates introspectively. He uses his body and his blades to express the music and draw you in. He demands more of his audience. It's why Daisuke and Hanyu and others have such great respect for Patrick as a skater. Daisuke uses facial expressions as part of his performance which the audience can more easily recognize as being expressive. This is why so many people think that Dai is more expressive than Patrick and why the judges think otherwise.

emdee

Final Flight
Dragonlady - very good point regarding Dai and Patrick.

Just totally in love with Patrick's blades on ice!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've always compared skating for the camera to screen acting and skating for the live audience including the judges to stage acting. Very different. Home audiences are getting facial expressions few in the arena can see. But skating is about the blade on ice first of all and the whole body movements. Artistic expression is not all about the face.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I have to admit that Dai is also better than Patrcik in using his arms and hands as well. But Patrick is catching up as is shown in his new number.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Thank you, Dragonlady and other people for kindly answering my question. I totally agree with you all.

He demands more of his audience.
That's it! Yes, Daiske's expression is easier to recognize for most casual skating fans.
Of course I love how Patrick uses his whole body and blades to express the music (and I don't like excessive facial expression).

spikydurian

Medalist
I've always compared skating for the camera to screen acting and skating for the live audience including the judges to stage acting. Very different. Home audiences are getting facial expressions few in the arena can see. But skating is about the blade on ice first of all and the whole body movements. Artistic expression is not all about the face.
Dragonlady and SF hit the nail on the head.
Indeed acting for screen and stage demand different skills. Noone looks at the face only on stage acting, and you really can't in reality. The voice and tonal projection and some body movements are so important in playing the stage role. For those of us who watch on the screen, it is hard for us to see the glide and speed across the huge rink, and more so we cannot really compare one skater from another easily on screen. And honestly when one is executing a very difficult jump, I for one wouldn't be thinking whether I should smile or cry during the execution. :biggrin:

spikydurian

Medalist
Happy Easter and holidays to all fellow Patrick-ubers including those who lurk into this thread for whatever reasons. :hb:

Boeing787

On the Ice
16x9 The Bigger Picture - Chan

I just rewatched this video and noticed that in several parts he was atcually practcing the new ex number. Now I think what he practiced in the dance studio was his new competition program. Let's wait until next season to see if I am correct.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
PJ's comments re. booing and response to someone who 'harrased' her on her twitter re. COP. (I follow PJ's twitter and read how many times this 'twitterer' twitted PJ though I don't know what the 'twitterer' twitted.)
Good on you, PJ and thanks for standing up and speaking up for Patrick and the notion that all fans have the right to boo the athletes if they are not happy with outcomes.
Firstly, these figure skaters trained not with club monies but their parent's blood, sweat and tears. They don't owe anyone anything except their parents and themselves to work hard and make the best of opportunities.
Secondly, it is sad to watch the decline of civilised behavior from fans and sportmen/women for any type of sports. The inability to separate mad fandom from reasoned behavior is appalling and can be quite frightening.
Thirdly, the notion that we have the right to get personal and abuse others as fans and audience is a tell-tale sign of warped sense of ownership. I hope whoever these people are, that they themselves or their children will be at the receiving end of such actions some day. Only then they may understand, 'do not do what you don't want others to do onto you'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanja90

On the Ice
I was there and I can tell you, all the booing thing was not towards Patrick but the judges. It may have seemed otherwise on tv but during the ceremony clearly the crowd booed to the referee and not to Patrick..

Tanja90

On the Ice
I must add: booing is a really bad thing and I don't like it because all athlets need respect...just I personally couldn't understand the scores and I was disappointed (but not surprised)