Patrick Chan | Page 570 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was just thinking today if Patrick played pingpong and if he would be a good player and here he's talking about playing pingpong. :agree:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Nice interview. I'm glad he's so happy. But, I heard him say two quads in the long and one quad in the short. :eek:hwell: At least we can hope for top 10 at the Olympics. :laugh: That probably means no 4S, darn it. It was GORGEOUS when landed last season! :love: But, we get to see him SKATE again next week!!! :yay:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I believe Detroit really did wear Patrick down. He enjoyed Colorado Spring's great outdoor so much, going mountain biking at its high altitude, his joy not diminished by an awful accident. Detroit is not a happy town and I know I'd be miserable there. (Sorry Rabbit.) B.C. has long been his favorite place in his own country and it's time he takes full advantage of what Canada has to offer.

Patrick is at the stage when he realizes how important his emotional and mental well being is. And he's been at this competition game enough to know the mental state means everything. He took time off to take care of his mind and a clear mind shows him what to do. However the society and the ISU measure success, it's the success he can feel he has that really matters. And they are not mutually exclusive. Making sure he will have personal success and the extrinsic recognition will be a bonus. Being completely attached to the extrinsic recognition may result in total disappointment.

Go Patrick! Be healthy and happy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I believe Detroit really did wear Patrick down. He enjoyed Colorado Spring's great outdoor so much, going mountain biking at its high altitude, his joy not diminished by an awful accident. Detroit is not a happy town and I know I'd be miserable there. (Sorry Rabbit.) B.C. has long been his favorite place in his own country and it's time he takes full advantage of what Canada has to offer.

Patrick is at the stage when he realizes how important his emotional and mental well being is. And he's been at this competition game enough to know the mental state means everything. He took time off to take care of his mind and a clear mind shows him what to do. However the society and the ISU measure success, it's the success he can feel he has that really matters. And they are not mutually exclusive. Making sure he will have personal success and the extrinsic recognition will be a bonus. Being completely attached to the extrinsic recognition may result in total disappointment.

First of all the training centers are nowhere near downtown Detroit, which is getting better BTW, they are out in the nice, more upper class areas. It is very nice where these training centers are and Detroit was a happy place for Pat, he had many friends and things there that were good, so please don't knock Detroit saying it was bad for him because it wasn't.

As far as CO, I spend much of my time there now (even though as a pro I travel alot) and have in the past as well depending on my own training at the time, so I know how great it is there.

Patrick's move was based simply on needing a new perspective and Zoueva wasn't giving that to him, and he left Canton with her blessing.

There's nothing more to speculate about this.

Back to US Nationals for me. Cheers!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
First of all the training centers are no where near depressing downtown Detroit, which is getting better btw, they are out in the nice, more upper class areas. It is very nice where these training centers are and Detroit was a happy place for Pat, he had many friends and things there that were good, so please don't knock Detroit saying it was bad for him because it wasn't.

As far as CO, I spend much of my time there now (even though as a pro I travel alot) and have in the past as well depending on my own training at the time, so I know how great it is there.

Patrick's move was based simply on needing a new perspective and Zueva wasn't giving that to him, and he left Canton with her blessing.

There's nothing more to speculate about this.

Back to US Nationals for me. Cheers!

Patrick started well there but now at least 3 things are missing for him training in Detroit, however nice the facilities and neighbourhood: the full attention of a coach he was close to, great outdoors for mountain and water sports that he enjoys and can relax with, and most of his friends who are now gone training else where. It's not speculation or a knock on Detroit but easily observed situation that is not personally ideal for him, a Canadian boy used to Nature. He could stay but obviously he felt he needed a different environment to get back to his game with a desired state of mind. And I wish that for him too.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh please. You can try to speculate and twist it anyway you want but he’s from Ottawa and spent alot of his time in the Toronto Metro. This back to nature stuff is bull.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh please. You can try to speculate and twist it anyway you want but he’s from Ottawa and spent alot of his time in the Toronto Metro. This back to nature stuff is bull.

Patrick has athletic parents who exposed him to various sports since a young age. Besides tennis, hockey, and other "regular" sports, he loves skiing, mountain climbing, water sports, etc with many pictures to show us. He settled on figure skating but was always out participating in many activities during the off season, sometimes hiding from his coach about his riskier endeavors. He has repeatedly explained his love for B.C. because of its great outdoors which offers choices of activities he can partake besides skating. He has similarly exulted the natural environment in Colorado Springs. Not for everybody but for him, yes, accessibility to Nature with opportunities for outdoor sports is happiness inducing. I have no need to twist anything and I will end this "debate" now.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Patrick has athletic parents who exposed him to various sports since a young age. Besides tennis, hockey, and other "regular" sports, he loves skiing, mountain climbing, water sports, etc with many pictures to show us. He settled on figure skating but was always out participating in many activities during the off season, sometimes hiding from his coach about his riskier endeavors. He has repeatedly explained his love for B.C. because of its great outdoors which offers choices of activities he can partake besides skating. He has similarly exulted the natural environment in Colorado Springs. Not for everybody but for him, yes, accessibility to Nature with opportunities for outdoor sports is happiness inducing. I have no need to twist anything and I will end this "debate" now.

Who said it was a debate?

He mostly races cars and surfs, and I'm so sure he'll catch great waves up in BC. :rolleye:

I'm out from this FF and probably for good.
It's not the same since others have left anyway.

Cheers.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I can count on Bev Smith for putting things into perspective!!! :hap10: In my mind, I knew it was a good idea for Patrick to scale back to skate in the way he wants to. But, reading the quotes from him written down brought this knowledge straight into my heart! Now I am really, truly okay with seeing no 4S. Sure, it would have been nice to see it and for Patrick to have a more realistic shot at the individual podium. But if no 4S means he can skate clean and comfortably, it will be amazing. :hap85: Bev Smith always writes in a respectful, beautiful way that makes me feel like I'm looking into Patrick's soul. :) I will be very curious what he ends up deciding about Worlds. The times we get to see DITW and Hallelujah in competition are few and very precious. Let's savor each and every one. I so appreciate you, Patrick, for doing what YOU needed and not giving in to outside pressures to compete for the sake of competing when your mind/heart wasn't in it. I'm sure our wait will have been worth it. RIP to Patrick's beautiful 4S.

And here’s a video of Patrick practicing!

https://instagram.com/p/Bdn1_J8h-55/

Dust!
THIS is why I'm such a BIG fan. :love: He can make IJS footwork look like every turn and edge was supposed to be there all along. Requirements? What requirements? Patrick expresses to the audience, "My footwork was always meant to be exactly what I'm showing you." Everything feels SO organic to Patrick's programs, as opposed to being there simply to fulfill the requirements for levels (this applies to his spins too). THANKS for posting this!!! :yes2: Regardless of scores, placements, or jump outcomes, I feel so blessed that Patrick is still around to show us SKATING like this. We are fortunate fans indeed!!! :yes: :ghug:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
THIS is why I'm such a BIG fan. :love: He can make IJS footwork look like every turn and edge was supposed to be there all along. Requirements? What requirements? Patrick expresses to the audience, "My footwork was always meant to be exactly what I'm showing you." Everything feels SO organic to Patrick's programs, as opposed to being there simply to fulfill the requirements for levels (this applies to his spins too). THANKS for posting this!!! :yes2: Regardless of scores, placements, or jump outcomes, I feel so blessed that Patrick is still around to show us SKATING like this. We are fortunate fans indeed!!! :yes: :ghug:

:2thumbs:

RIP to Patrick's beautiful 4S.

Not so fast, please.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
One thing I hope to see for sure is a 3A+1Lo+3S like the one he did at Onyx. That was such a lovely surprise! :yes2: :love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:laugh: :) That is true; there is still time. This season has had plenty of other twists and turns for Patrick, so who's to say there won't be one more?

You know how many couples conceive after giving up and/or adopting?

Patrick knows how to do 4S. But the stress from the pressure to keep up took away the joy and the effectiveness. If he relaxes and focuses on his joy of skating, he may just rediscover that 4S is no big deal. :)

One thing I hope to see for sure is a 3A+1Lo+3S like the one he did at Onyx. That was such a lovely surprise! :yes2: :love:

It really was. :love:

Who knows what other surprises he may still have for us? ;)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
An article about Patrick on NBCOlympics. I like the Bev Smith one a lot more. This one has a more "down" tone. Not bad at all, but nothing like how Bev Smith left me feeling so much hope and peace.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/patrick-chan-prioritizes-olympic-team-event-last-shot-gold

Many fans don't like/don't count the Team Event medals, but Patrick says "a medal is a medal" and Team Gold would "absolutely" mean just as much to him as individual gold. Patrick says Canada is taking the Team Event very seriously in Pyeongchang.

Favorite Patrick quote in the article: “My last two Olympics, I got off the ice disappointed,” Chan said, according to NBC Olympic Research, “because my expectations were based on things I can’t control. Like, ‘I’ve got to win the gold medal in Canada, or I’m the reigning [world] champion going into Sochi, so I must win.’”

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Hi fellow fans! I made it to the lovely and chilly city of Vancouver! Can't believe that I am that much closer in location to Patrick!

In case you didn't see it, I made a banner to cheer on Patrick tomorrow night and the rest of the weekend.

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/951236820955574272

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram for quicker updates!

Video of today's practice - Patrick appears at 2:04:22!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6czd7d?collectionXid=x56iq7

Here's that gorgeous 3A again!

https://twitter.com/4everPatrick96/status/951644670517530625