Patrick Chan | Page 75 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Yes, thanks deedee1 for the kind words despite Patrick and Dai being rivals on ice!:) Patrick and Dai lead by example .. ie rivals on ice, friends outside the ice rink.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems there is so much talk about Patrick slacking off and that the reason he parted with Krall was that she was too strict and working him too hard. I find such opinions baseless and not supported by facts but speculations based on preconceived opinions.

Fact is Patrick has been reported to be working very hard without taking time off and his work ethics continue to impress his new collaborators and observers. Fact is his already superb skating skills and artistry could not possibly have improved so much over last few months without dedicated training on his part. Jumps are the highest risk elements in skating and the first to suffer in less than optimal conditions. Whatever he lacked at JO, be it insufficient familiarity with the new program and its rhythm, or any physical and/or mental impediment, it showed up in the jumps, specifically in inability to land them. I am quite sure he will overcome whatever it was, because he always does and learns from each experience.

As for Krall, I have felt for a long time before their parting way that she was way too rigid in her training regiment. She prided herself on planning/controlling Patrick's every minute of every day. Patrick mentioned she often called early and wake him up. She is very scientific, thus Dartfish and regimented training. Some people may need such whip cracking to get moving but the highest achievements and level of performances do not come as a result of pure hard work and discipline. There are too many hard working and disciplined failures in this world. Elite skaters are hard working and disciplined, Patrick being one of the most acknowledged. He has always been highly motivated and motivating to those who train with him. Everybody, even the best, loses motivation once in a while as reactions to events in their career or life but they bounce back. But hard work and discipline is not enough, or even the most important factors in success.

In life and in most endeavours, it is extremely important to know yourself, including your body, your mind, temperament, what makes you tick and what you just can't stand........ There is a flow and rhythm to everything, time, energy, mood, etc. While the Western mind conceives time as linear to be divided into blocks for tasks and activities, time is actually experienced very differently as we all know how it can speed up or slow down greatly. Ditto personal energy which expands and contracts. There are frustrating and tiring times we can't push through anything and there are times we can accomplish a lot easily in a short time. In the proverbial zone, inspirations, solutions, insights, and effortless work come to us and that is when we are the most productive. It all about ability to focus on the moment and the activity at hand. Such periods should be optimally taken advantage of to make best use of the time and energy. It would also be extremely beneficial and advantageous to know how to get into the zone more often, especially at the most opportune times, like at a competition, for example. :) In fact, I think such mind power and control is the most important determining factor for success. Good health supports clarity and power of the mind and there is a rhythm and cycle to our body we should abide by.

All that ^^^ is to say at Patrick's level of skating, overly strict and micro-managed time and training regiment is actually limiting to his development and nurturing of his talents. He has become wiser with age to his own body and mind and is following them and his instincts. No one knows his mind and body better than himself and he is also the most motivated about his own success and is taking charge of how he is achieving it. Krall was right for him to acquire the quad jump, which Johnson also contributed a lot with apt inspiration and understanding of movements. Patrick didn't "get rid of" Krall, who left him partly because of his changing approach to his own training. The team around him was having problems which disturbed Patrick greatly before Nice Worlds but he quickly accepted the change and the challenges and moved on, sticking to his targets and goals.

All that ^^^ :) is not to say Patrick does not need a skating technical coach but that it is too quick to conclude that he has lost his skating abilities or jumps and that it's all because he is lazy, distracted, unmotivated, spoiled, etc. as if he flipped his character completely and suddenly. It is just a pre-season cheesefest competition. Nobody should get so judged with speculative convictions and verdicts based on one bad skate, especially when the skate also showed brilliance in all areas outside of the jumps. Maybe it's just because it's Patrick. But it seems overly concerned fans are just as capable of seeing what they believe and quick to conclude. I say, let's not create scenarios to fit one's beliefs but look at the facts and wait for more facts.

One of my favorite quotes: A few observations and much reasoning lead to error; many observations and a little reasoning lead to truth. -Alexis Carrel

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
No one questioned Patrick's improvement on artistry with a dance instructor by his side if she is not flying out somewhere and giving instructions to other skaters. And we've seen Patrick's improved taste on his costumes. All people are worried about is the fact that a world top level figure skater doesn't have a figure skating coach!:disapp::slink:

emdee

Final Flight
My questions are how much does he rely on Eddie Shipstead for his jumps?
Was Christy too regimental ?
Has he to find a new way to calm his pre program nerves?

spikydurian

Medalist
Sounds like Patrick wanted to a different approach to training and Krall didn't agree to it so they parted ways. Sad to see them part ways but everyone needs to move on. As a fan, I definitely would feel reassuring if Patrick can find at least a technical coach by his side. Then we can have Kathy taking care of the artistry aspect and the technical coach taking care of his technical aspect. We will have to wait and see how he fare later in the season as we all know, Patrick never peak early. And I would love to see La Boheme at its best in a few months' time.
There are so many changes and many adaptations, and it's a challenge. But it is also challenges which spur one's motivation to overcome them. Hey don't forget that Patrick loves 'mountain-biking' and I don't think riding the rough mountains is a sport for those who are not willing to get hurt and up again. Didn't he fell so hard that he thought he broke his back a short while back? :eek:
I would love to see how his programs with Wilson and Buttle will turn out. He has so many wonderful programs with Lori .. Aranjuez and Tango are my favourites too. I really don't mind him trying to work with new choreographers this season to see what they can come up with. And it doesn't mean that he won't work with Lori again. :)
Ohmmm... as Guru says. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No one questioned Patrick's improvement on artistry with a dance instructor by his side if she is not flying out somewhere and giving instructions to other skaters. And we've seen Patrick's improved taste on his costumes. All people are worried about is the fact that a world top level figure skater doesn't have a figure skating coach!:disapp::slink:

I am sure Patrick has mentors for help in specific areas. He always seeks help that he needs from people he trusts. We don't know if it's his intention to not have a skating coach. It's likely temporary. He's experimenting a lot these days. After two world titles and 3 records, he can afford to try different things and focus on particular areas for improvements. I think he has lofty goals beyond winning.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I hope you are right. I'll still remain skeptical at this point though.

Any way, Patrick's Fan Fest Thread has reached 100th page!:clap::yay::party::rock::party2:

I hope you are right. I'll still remain skeptical at this point though.

Any way, Patrick's Fan Fest Thread has reached 100th page!:clap::yay::party::rock::party2:

YAY!!

Do you guys think Patrick will go for 4cc this season? It's in Japan, so I think he'll skip it again because it's laboring for him to travel across the pacific and to get ready for Worlds in Canada.

SGrand

Final Flight
I'm just wondering, do we for sure know that he doesn't have someone he's working with technically? I mean, he's now a 2 time world champion, there has to be someone around working with him, even if Kathy has taken the top role for now. They mentioned yesterday during the CBC broadcast of SA that they asked Christy Krall if she'd ever come back and I guess her answer was, let's see what happens this year (something like that). Not sure if that would happen or not, and while I'm not all that worried, I do want him to have someone in his corner that can guide him technically. Something tells me that there's either someone right now or someone in the works because I just can't see him going it alone with just a dance and movement teacher/coach.

Also, I wanted to comment on his new LP from the JO. While it was a little hard to watch, I still cannot help but be excited for his new programs and really am in awe of his skills. I mean, he fell 4 times and popped twice (which he rarely ever does), but I have to admit, he still skated with his usual speed and edge quality, got up off his butt pretty fast AND had a wonderful expression that I sometimes don't get from his skates. This year is not going to be easy by any stretch for him, he's had crazy changes and upheavals and is experimenting and really concentrating on the the aspects that he (and his detractors) thinks are missing from his performances. This may not be his year because of this and you know what, that's okay, I think he'll be fine. I find it sad that some have now written him off after this performance while propping up Hanyu after his SP at SA.....who then went on to have a horrific LP (I feel for Hanyu, the highs and lows, the pressure the stamina.....all things he's going to have to get used to at this level and he's in the spotlight now with loads and loads of adoring fans).
While I don't want another meltdown like this for PC, to me, I still liked his program and how he carried it, scary jumps and all.

spikydurian

Medalist
I'm just wondering, do we for sure know that he doesn't have someone he's working with technically? I mean, he's now a 2 time world champion, there has to be someone around working with him, even if Kathy has taken the top role for now. They mentioned yesterday during the CBC broadcast of SA that they asked Christy Krall if she'd ever come back and I guess her answer was, let's see what happens this year (something like that). Not sure if that would happen or not, and while I'm not all that worried, I do want him to have someone in his corner that can guide him technically. Something tells me that there's either someone right now or someone in the works because I just can't see him going it alone with just a dance and movement teacher/coach.
I think I have grown to like Patrick's La Boheme despite his falls. He gets up so quickly after each fall. And they did a great job with the music cut. And of course, he looks very attractive in his new attire. Kudos to Tu Ly and looking forward to seeing Elegie costume. Can't wait to see his SP and how Buttle has changed the Ex into a competitive piece.
No idea whether he's going to get a technical coach. We will just have to wait for the announcement.
I didn't watch SA and the interview with Krall. Did they ask her about Patrick? If that is what she said... I assume it's 'wait and see' year for Patrick to try new things and get out of his comfort zone, and decide after the season how he wants to proceed towards Sochi. I won't be surprised if he and Lori work together again.

emdee

Final Flight
I like patrick's La Boheme - it could be great if jumps flow well.

Cannot wait for friday- count down has begun.
I see that Skate Buzz is showing the practices.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
I could hear it now.. from a different computer. It's fun listening to their talk and Kurt's take on 'gloves'. :laugh:
It's interesting to hear Kurt compare figure skating with dancing.. and why it's hard to be perfect on ice compared to dancing.

emdee

Final Flight
I got front row on ice for Celebration on ice. Kurt/Patrick/Jeff/Joannie and Duhamel and Radford. Will be in skating heaven.

But first the main event of this week and the opening of the season for us!