Back Crossovers | Golden Skate

Back Crossovers

macy

Record Breaker
This might sound like a weird question, but I notice that many skaters do back crossovers where their crossing foot comes off the ice a bit. Is there anyone who keeps their blade on the ice while crossing or am I the odd one out? Out of all the national/international level skaters I've watched, I don't know if I've seen anyone leave their skate on the ice.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Most coaches I know teach that the foot crossing over stays on the ice. That's how I do it as do most of the people I skate with. As far as I know this is the norm, but there are skaters who are weaker skaters and don't get into their knees enough who pick both feet up or skaters who do it for rhythm or choreographic emphasis. Picking up the foot to cross it over isn't as efficient, but if the skater picks it up to restart the crossover I think it's just a stylistic preference. I don't think it makes a difference in power or speed.

Wildstorm

Rinkside
*raises hand*

I do! And that's how Shelly teaches it in new liskeard. I try to teach it like that too but the students get mad at me -.- cause they feel dumb doing crosscuts around the ice in the middle of a freeskate session. Such a pitty....

gsrossano

Final Flight
I was taught those as two different things. Traditional crossovers where the blade leaves the ice for each stroke, and cutbacks (that's the term my coaches used) where the blades stay on the ice at all times. My personal experience was that I could get up a lot more speed and accelerate faster with cutbacks. I also felt I had better rhythm and smoothness of motion with cutbacks.

macy

Record Breaker
I was taught those as two different things. Traditional crossovers where the blade leaves the ice for each stroke, and cutbacks (that's the term my coaches used) where the blades stay on the ice at all times. My personal experience was that I could get up a lot more speed and accelerate faster with cutbacks. I also felt I had better rhythm and smoothness of motion with cutbacks.

you mean where both stay on the ice? like even when you finish one crossover the non crossing foot stays on the ice to start another one? and doesn't come off the ice?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this might sound like a weird question, but i notice that many skaters do back crossovers where their crossing foot comes off the ice a bit. is there anyone who keeps their blade on the ice while crossing or am i the odd one out? out of all the national/international level skaters i've watched, i don't know if i've seen anyone leave their skate on the ice.

Most skaters leave their blade on the ice. I had a Russian instructor (former WC) who advised picking up the the foot. Said it increased speed. I don't like to do it that way, but I am a rank beginner compared to him, so what do I know?

gkelly

Record Breaker
you mean where both stay on the ice? like even when you finish one crossover the non crossing foot stays on the ice to start another one? and doesn't come off the ice?

The front foot stays on the ice.
The back foot lifts off the ice by pushing sideways crossed under the front one and then uncrosses in the air.

In my experience picking up the front foot to cross it over is either a technique taught to beginners or a variation for choreographic effect.

Examples:
basic instructions
back crossover circles from US moves in the field test
ice dancers demonstrating

gsrossano

Final Flight
yeah, like that!

I think you also tend to see it when the skater doesn't get down enough in the knee, or fights the circle.