New blades, adjust or switch back? | Golden Skate

New blades, adjust or switch back?

emyrho

Spectator
Some background on me, I am an adult skater who comeptes at the Adult Bronze level. I have jumps through lutz, working on axel, and spins through layback, working on back sit. It has recently come to my attention that my boots are one full size too big. I have 245 in edea, but turns out I should be in 235. I did get some 235 boots and they fit well (yay!). Because of the size change I need shorter blades. I got a great deal on Ultima Supreme E-X-T blades since they were an older model. I had been skating in MK Pros.

I tested out the new skates, boots are working well for me but the switch in blades worries me. I do LOVE the new edges, I find gliding and crossovers more stable, no sliding, good bite etc. (Looking at them I think they are side honed? blades have a )( shape to them.) But the spins are.... not there. I don't know if it's the difference in rocker or because the skates are now shorter in the front, pushing the rocker back? But I cannot feel a sweet spot at all. Any spin I can get feels rough or scratchy? (Also the scratching noise on these is high pitched and LOUD, which is very odd) On my old mk pros the sweet spot was obvious and felt very butter smooth. I am typically a better spinner than jumper, which is what has me concerned.

So do you think it's just something I need to adjust to, due to shorter boots and new profile, or should I just go back to MK Pros? Also if I went back with MK pro, would a parabolic MK Pro give me the better edge feel like the supremes? Or is that not what parabolics do? Sorry only ever skated in parallel blades. Thank-you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Some background on me, I am an adult skater who comeptes at the Adult Bronze level. I have jumps through lutz, working on axel, and spins through layback, working on back sit. It has recently come to my attention that my boots are one full size too big. I have 245 in edea, but turns out I should be in 235. I did get some 235 boots and they fit well (yay!). Because of the size change I need shorter blades. I got a great deal on Ultima Supreme E-X-T blades since they were an older model. I had been skating in MK Pros.

I tested out the new skates, boots are working well for me but the switch in blades worries me. I do LOVE the new edges, I find gliding and crossovers more stable, no sliding, good bite etc. (Looking at them I think they are side honed? blades have a )( shape to them.) But the spins are.... not there. I don't know if it's the difference in rocker or because the skates are now shorter in the front, pushing the rocker back? But I cannot feel a sweet spot at all. Any spin I can get feels rough or scratchy? (Also the scratching noise on these is high pitched and LOUD, which is very odd) On my old mk pros the sweet spot was obvious and felt very butter smooth. I am typically a better spinner than jumper, which is what has me concerned.

So do you think it's just something I need to adjust to, due to shorter boots and new profile, or should I just go back to MK Pros? Also if I went back with MK pro, would a parabolic MK Pro give me the better edge feel like the supremes? Or is that not what parabolics do? Sorry only ever skated in parallel blades. Thank-you!
IF this is the blade i'm thinking of, it's an 8ft rocker as to where your MK pros were 7ft rocker, and this is also a blade that has more lift/or pitched higher on the ice. It also has a channeled chassis that your MK did not and has a more defined drag pick. And they're tapered.

I would say that all of or a number of these things are working against you, but mainly the flatter rocker.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If you have the money, I'd recommend going back to the MK Pros or possibly the MK Gold Stars, as they have the side honing that I think you'll like, still with the 7ft rocker. They do have a higher lift than the Pros (I think) but I think once you're back on a 7ft rocker with an excellent spin rocker, you'll be happy.

emyrho

Spectator
IF this is the blade i'm thinking of, it's an 8ft rocker as to where your MK pros were 7ft rocker, and this is also a blade that has more lift/or pitched higher on the ice. It also has a channeled chassis that your MK did not and has a more defined drag pick. And they're tapered.

I would say that all of or a number of these things are working against you, but mainly the flatter rocker.

If you have the money, I'd recommend going back to the MK Pros or possibly the MK Gold Stars, as they have the side honing that I think you'll like, still with the 7ft rocker. They do have a higher lift than the Pros (I think) but I think once you're back on a 7ft rocker with an excellent spin rocker, you'll be happy.

Thank you two for your replies. Before I decide to switch back to MK is it worth having them perm mounted, would it change the spinning/scatching/noise?

I only ask because relooking at my blades now, there is few mm gap at the front(toe)of the plate between the plate and sole. I was avoiding a perm mount incase I didn't want to stick with the blade.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you two for your replies. Before I decide to switch back to MK is it worth having them perm mounted, would it change the spinning/scatching/noise?

I only ask because relooking at my blades now, there is few mm gap at the front(toe)of the plate between the plate and sole. I was avoiding a perm mount incase I didn't want to stick with the blade.
Alot of times before perm mount there is that gap b/c most of the screws aren't there hence it being called a temp mount. This would have nothing to do with your issues with this blade nor the scratching, you either had a bad sharpening or the blade has a defect, b/c those are touted by the company as some of the "quietest blades."

I'd go back to MK ASAP. Good luck!

emyrho

Spectator
Update! (In case anyone wants to know)

I ended up going back to buy some new MK Pros for my skates, and I got suckered by another clearence/deal. This time they were MK Phantoms for almost the same price as the Pros, so I went for it. I tried the Phantoms for the same amount of time I tried the Supremes, and everyone was absolutely right for me to go back to MK. Not only could I spin again, but I've done some of my fastest and most centered laybacks on the Phantoms! (Its my favorite spin so this is very good news :D) My footwork also feels more controlled, and no more loud blades.

I do still need some minor adjustments on my loop takeoff (over rotating) and weight placement for backwards crossovers (a little scratchy/too forward for now). But otherwise I am a very happy skater.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ah, lovely, lovely Phantoms. They were my favourite blade. Remember to bend your knees more and relax into the crossovers to get rid of the scratchiness of the bigger picks. Also, more kneebend makes the crossovers wider and the heel on the Phantom is longer; you want to avoid the "click of death" if you can...