Plushenko's health issues spring 2012 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

spikydurian

Medalist
As it was already mentioned, Mishin utilizes many stylistic devices in his speech ^^ The comparison to cucumber means that he is "fresh",ready to compete...

And those sentences about his leg...he uses some everyday expressions,not slang but smth like that)) I hope I made sense =)
Thanks koatcue This is called 'very lost in Google translation'! And shows that languages can be misleading when translated literally without taking into consideration the cultural aspects.

deedee1

Record Breaker
To compete at homeland is probably once in a life time opportunity. That is the dream for every althete in the world. This is nothing to do with extra points from judges. Sure the host country will have some advantage, but that is not what athletes pursue. What they pursue is to reach the glory in front of their own people on their homeland. If Plushenko feels that he can still make it, why not? He expressed this wish even before his first comeback. This is nothing new but more serious now of course. PS: he said after the EC that after 2014 Olympics he will stop competing. He knows the limit, but not trying to skate at homeland Olympics that is simply not him.

Anyway, sincerely wish him could recover well from the surgeries, and be able to do what he likes the most-figure skating.

This! Yaya124, I feel the same.

I feel the same way for Brian Joubert at this upcoming Worlds in this regard. I felt the same way for Kevin VdP at the recent Euros in Sheffield which is his 'second' homeland (because of Jenna, of course! Get well soon Kevin! Am looking forwad to seeing you in Nice!!!).

I always have a soft spot for veteran skaters.

Yes, they might have passed their prime but I do not like when people write them off.
Because, not only Evgeni but Brian, Kevin...these guys have been competing for so long and contributed so much to the skating world.
Some believe those veterans take opportunities from younger and promising skaters to compete at the international stages, because national judges may rescue them with gifted PCS for their lackluster performances.

It is a little OT and sad to say, but when Akiko and Dai had rather disappointig season last year, and announced to continue, quite a many Japanese fans objected to their decisions. In the internet skating board in Japan back then, both were criticized. Same thing happend to Fumie years ago. Very sad.

That is their life, their efforts, their own time and money they have to sacrifice in order to comlete at this elite level, after all. Not our (=fans') time or money. It is their own dcisions to make; to continue or retire. Give them more respect and let them do what they like the most, I would say.

So, GOOO Evgeni! But first, REST ENOUGH, PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Now I'm really pumped. Plushenko could beat everyone but Chan if he skates like how he did at this year's Europeans!:yes:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Wow, great news! Good for him!!

Also, very good to know that a lot of 'used-to-be-not-a-Plushy-fans (including me) are now rooting for him, and look forward to his come back.
What a turn-around for him and for skating fans since Vancouver season!
He earned our respect by his great performances at Nats and Euros while injured. Hats off to Evgeni!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Stangely, with all the Americans on this board, there is lots of love for Plushy (deservved i feel) and lots of Evan dissing. Is this group think? Does anything spread faster than negativity esp among armchair non skaters? Why did the Evan thrad bring out the "haterz" and I use that word very lightly as Evan does not inspire hate. he is a class act as far as male skaters go. He was very kind to bitter Plush, and was even conciliatory to Johnny who nastily (jealously) tried to imply Evan was gay with a wink during the interview.

I enjoy Evan's skating. He is very dynamic. Why are some posters so interested in dissing him? Anger he beat Plush? Hey, I really thought Ryan B to be one of the worst skaters to win a US Nationals but was happy he finally got what he stayed in for. Not thrilled with the judging but. I can enjoy Evan as he seldom splats like :think: some "great" skaters we know. Are there any Evan fans left? First man to get gold for US since Boitano. I liked his 2009, 2010 programs and his skating. I don't think you can get where he has with "average skating skills" esp since he doesn't have the quad, or didn't in Vancouver. He beat Evgeni on the ice, and Takahashi. I'm no uber for Evan but I enjoy and respect him. Am I alone here? His LP was called "trite." Really...

DianaSelene

Medalist
Well, even though Evan won, his win was not amazing (he did not win by a huge margin) and many still think he did not deserve the gold (such as me) because although he is a hard worker, he's just not that fun to watch. His programs were not just trite, they were boring (at least for me). He was not all that artistic ever. Evan just wasn't that special, he skated well though at the right place at the right time.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You act as if it was one skate where he got lucky. He is 2x national champ, 2x GP champion (that a lot of wins) World Champ and OGM. Yeah, he was at the right place and time several tims. That is hardly luck. It is skill, talent and hard work.:rolleye:

ETA forgot 4 times winner of 4ccs as well. Don't recall his junior record, but I'll bet it was good.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
You act as if it was one skate where he got lucky. He is 2x national champ, 2x GP champion (that a lot of wins) World Champ and OGM. Yeah, he was at the right place and time several tims. That is hardly luck. It is skill, talent and hard work.:rolleye:

ETA forgot 4 times winner of 4ccs as well. Don't recall his junior record, but I'll bet it was good.

Definitely, but at the time when he won all those things, no one did successful quads so Evan could win with triple axels and boring performances. No, not all of them were mediocre. Some were better. But it was the best time for him. For example, were skaters like Chan who can do quads and have better skating skills a little older and competed against Lysacek, he would be smushed. Evan did a pretty average but well done job and was lucky that all the other skaters he competed against at the time were worse. It was perfect timing for his win.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No one likes to see a talented skater like Plush have his career end in back surgery. That's why a lot of us are thrilled to see that he is going to be OK, even if we aren't huge Plush fans in the normal way of things.

While many people may not be Plush's uber fans, I don't think you would find a skate fan anywhere that doesn't respect Plush's many impressive achievements in the sport and his determination to keep competing. Again, that's why so many of us are glad to see that he's feeling better without resorting to surgery.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Stangely, with all the Americans on this board, there is lots of love for Plushy (deservved i feel) and lots of Evan dissing. Is this group think? Does anything spread faster than negativity esp among armchair non skaters? Why did the Evan thrad bring out the "haterz" and I use that word very lightly as Evan does not inspire hate. he is a class act as far as male skaters go. He was very kind to bitter Plush, and was even conciliatory to Johnny who nastily (jealously) tried to imply Evan was gay with a wink during the interview.

I enjoy Evan's skating. He is very dynamic. Why are some posters so interested in dissing him? Anger he beat Plush? Hey, I really thought Ryan B to be one of the worst skaters to win a US Nationals but was happy he finally got what he stayed in for. Not thrilled with the judging but. I can enjoy Evan as he seldom splats like :think: some "great" skaters we know. Are there any Evan fans left? First man to get gold for US since Boitano. I liked his 2009, 2010 programs and his skating. I don't think you can get where he has with "average skating skills" esp since he doesn't have the quad, or didn't in Vancouver. He beat Evgeni on the ice, and Takahashi. I'm no uber for Evan but I enjoy and respect him. Am I alone here? His LP was called "trite." Really...

:laugh: Why do you ask Evan fans to come out in Plushenko thread? Has anyone even mentioned Evan here?:rolleye: One cannot ask for it. Plushenko has simply attracted such worldwide admiration and respect by his characters, his will, his fire, and his legendary act.:yes:

deedee1

Record Breaker
No one likes to see a talented skater like Plush have his career end in back surgery. That's why a lot of us are thrilled to see that he is going to be OK, even if we aren't huge Plush fans in the normal way of things.

While many people may not be Plush's uber fans, I don't think you would find a skate fan anywhere that doesn't respect Plush's many impressive achievements in the sport and his determination to keep competing. Again, that's why so many of us are glad to see that he's feeling better without resorting to surgery.

This! Thank you so much, dorispulaski, you said it all for me!!

That is exactly how I feel about him, value him, appreciate and respect him so much now.
Ten years ago, or even three years ago, I had never thought of/imagined myself that I would be feeling this way about Evgeni.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Definitely, but at the time when he won all those things, no one did successful quads so Evan could win with triple axels and boring performances. No, not all of them were mediocre. Some were better. But it was the best time for him. For example, were skaters like Chan who can do quads and have better skating skills a little older and competed against Lysacek, he would be smushed. Evan did a pretty average but well done job and was lucky that all the other skaters he competed against at the time were worse. It was perfect timing for his win.

illogical-you compete against who there is . Evan 'smushed; Chan easily as Chan splatted everywhere. his ss didn't help then but that was before such inflation due to messed up IJS.

amber68

On the Ice
He beat Evgeni on the ice, and Takahashi....

Really?
I think that Evan is a very good skater but he had lots of help to win his OGM.
1. Olympic Games in North America
2. ISU seminars presenting Plushy's weaknesses (Why ISU didn't do seminars about Evan's 3A which actually was a 3S?)
3. Mr. Inman's e-mail to the judges and the subsequent media fuss
4. North American media which obviously know how to put pressure on ISU, judges etc. to get what they want (S&P gold medal is a proof).
The campaign against Plush was really disgusting and I wonder what will the North American say if the Russians do the same in Sochi:
1. Agressive clips with the junkies and homeless from New York followed by images of Evan, Jeremy or Patrick (similar to the clip with falling statue of Lenin and Plush, no?). Of course the title will be "Fallen western world" and will include clips with Patrick, Jermey, Even falling. Nice, no?
2. Lots of e-mails from, for example Lakernik, focused on the weakness of one of the North American top competitors (amplified by a leak in the media, of course)
3. ISU seminars about chain falling (focused on Chan or Jeremy ) and how this doesn't really matter.
Now, what would you say? Would this kind of campaign help Artur or Plush?
Would it be O.K. with you?