Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 89 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's so nice to see all of the pics Maia and Alex are sharing from Nagoya. They really are soaking in the environment and their pics seem to indicate that they are pleased with their SD practice.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
We were treated to Maia's lengthy and well-written blog for Team USA right before Rostelecom Cup and now it's Alex's turn:

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/D...ime-With-Your-Sibling-And-Still-Getting-Along

They really do have different styles, don't they?

It's so cute to see Alex championing Maia's piece with him saying: "Go! Save yourself… Read something with depth! Learn something!"

I totally agree with his sentiment. Everyone should go and read more things with depth.

Barb

Record Breaker
That blog is cute and funny.

Tips from Alex:
2. Stay Adequately Hydrated And Don’t Go Extended Periods Of Time Without Eating
5. Only Have One Sibling

:laugh:, omg, I think Alex is not fully aware about how or why they get along better than most siblings. I guess it is because he treated her so well since she was born, look at 3yo Alex feeding to baby Maia :luv17: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcYle9yj0nS/?taken-by=alexshibutani

They look totally ready for SD!! https://www.instagram.com/p/BcYvgexFyXz/?taken-by=maiashibutani :hap10:

matcha

Medalist
They weren't perfect and seemed a little "off". The twizzle mistake was uncharacteristic but because of their extra rotations, it only really affected goe. As soon as they started the rhumba pattern I had to pause for a while because it just looked weird (even to my untrained eye) and I got shook.

But seriously, 78 with a level two rhumba pattern :)( :( :() is actually pretty astonishing. Mrs. P. mentioned that they had the only level fours in the step sequences 😭💖 and that is incredible. I don't know what was happening for the rhumba to be so off in timing but they should be able to get that back up at Nationals and hopefully the Games. To think, if they got a level four in the rhumba they would've had max base value (!!!) and definitely would've cracked 80.

edit: they also had the highest bv of the night omg :drama:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The rhumba pattern was an issue of timing, which I think was a reflection of the general offness they had. But I have to give them credit for fighting through it. I think it was obvious they weren't 100 percent (Alex especially) for whatever reason.

The FD isn't until Saturday, so whatever is ailing them, I hope will be gone by then.

shadowsinwinter

Rinkside
Slightly relieved to know that I'm not the only one who thought they seemed off, though I pegged it up to jetlag in general. They have a day break before FD so hopefully they will be better by then!

They have the highest technical base value out of all the teams in the GPF and honestly I feel like the gap between them and V/M and P/C has never looked easier to close up?

Barb

Record Breaker
Besides the timing, I think the pattern looked very well, huge and with very clean edges. Uncharacteristic mistake in the twizzles, especially coming from Maia, but I guess they were nervous, I mean, they are trying catch up to V/M and P/C and at the same time had to H/D stepping on their heels, or at least that indicated the previous scores.

In my opinion all the couples looked a little off in comparison to previous competitions, even P/C, I don´t understand their SB, even their twizzles out of sync got the highest score as usual :scratch2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Besides the timing, I think the pattern looked very well, huge and with very clean edges. Uncharacteristic mistake in the twizzles, especially from Maia, but I guess they were nervous, I mean, they are trying catch up to V/M and P/C and at the same time had to H/D stepping on their heels, or at least that indicated the previous scores.

In my opinion all the couples looked a little off in comparison to previous competitions, even P/C, I don´t understand their SB.

Actually, it was Alex's mistake, he actually turned out of the twizzle early. Maia did the twizzles as usual.

Based on their IG post, I think they were just tired. ID was the last event of the evening.

Barb

Record Breaker
Actually, it was Alex's mistake, he actually turned out of the twizzle early. Maia did the twizzles as usual.

Based on their IG post, I think they were just tired. ID was the last event of the evening.

Well, it makes sense now, because, you know, Maia is Miss perfect :p

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Despite receiving a level 2 on the Rhumba pattern, the Shibs (with H/D) did get higher GOEs for it than V/M, which reflects what Chapis said about the quality of the pattern despite the timing issue.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
big, big congratulations for Maia and Alex - I had loads of fun watching them, now an equal 'fun' is with reading sour grapes about 'overscoring':cool14:

keep pushing!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Despite receiving a level 2 on the Rhumba pattern, the Shibs (with H/D) did get higher GOEs for it than V/M, which reflects what Chapis said about the quality of the pattern despite the timing issue.

That "slow" excuse doesn't make sense anymore anyway. Their pattern are huge, the quality was there as usual (yet I think it was better at Skate America so they can get even more GOEs than that). Timing off, it happens, knowing them they won't let that happen again.

I keep saying that but the SD is a real threat for the season. A 78 with Pattern level2, mistake on twizzles ans 37+ PCS is just so good. I'm so impressed.
The "overscoring" thing is actually a good sign for them too. I still want to wait fr Saturday (my pessimistic/preventive self is talking) but I don't see how that podium isn't a lock now.

musicfan80

Medalist
I have no double that Maia and Alex will rock the FD! :yes:

I still think that Alex's shirt would look better if they had some specks that are from the colors of Maia's dress skirt. I think it would make Alex "pop" more, if that makes sense.

Barb

Record Breaker
OMG, his reaction when the they watched the score :(, poor Alex :sad21:. It is okay, I am sure they will be ready at Nationals :hap10:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Sad to see Alex so sad :( I wonder what happened to them, they were on fire just 2 weeks ago at Skate America and they made very uncharacteristics mistakes

mouse

Rinkside
What happened? I don't have a good enough eye to catch whatever went apparently terribly wrong.

The GPF just doesn't seem to be their event

I hope they are recovering today and getting ready for the nationals battle.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Welcome to Golden Skate, mouse! Post often, post long.

To answer your question, they made an error on their twizzles (very uncharacteristic of them) and struggled on the steps. I think Alex really struggled here -- I think he may have been sick.

Maia's a super awesome partner for being so kind and compassionate and she really held the team up over both programs. A lot of other pair/dance partners could learn from her.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Welcome to Golden Skate, mouse! Post often, post long.

To answer your question, they made an error on their twizzles (very uncharacteristic of them) and struggled on the steps. I think Alex really struggled here -- I think he may have been sick.

Maia's a super awesome partner for being so kind and compassionate and she really held the team up over both programs. A lot of other pair/dance partners could learn from her.

for me, this is one of few things that makes this team special, unique, solid and so plainly 'likeable': this supportive attitude and siblings' power of understanding not only as a partner in 'business', but also as a human you grown up with, getting to know the world and figure skating. Maia keeps amazing us by her maturity, integrity of values, clod head and dedication to the performance and carrying also Alex through it despite any weaker moments. This lack of selfishness from her I can only applaud and tell that it solidifies their work and partnership more than ever. It is not a big thing to held your head up high while being on podium with medal around your neck with huge score received and issues-less performace - IT IS a big one to stand on the podium and be grateful for than WITH the person who may screw a few things, but tried his best, I am sure Maia should only feel pride for herself and how strong their connection is.

Cutesmile

Rinkside
It wasn't perfect but we know it can be better. Maybe it's due to jet lag or being under pressure :shrug: I hope it won't distract them for their next competitions. They need to recover and I'm sure they will deliver better performances :thumbsup: