Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 90 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Something was off today- Alex looked like he wasn't feeling well.

But the Shibs are fabulous and I think in the end this will only make them better skaters the rest of the season- they know what they are capable of and this isn't it. I think we'll see them skating all out at Nationals. Everyone has a less than perfect moment- better here than Nationals or the Olympics. They seem to thrive on the challenge.

MRani

On the Ice
for me, this is one of few things that makes this team special, unique, solid and so plainly 'likeable': this supportive attitude and siblings' power of understanding not only as a partner in 'business', but also as a human you grown up with, getting to know the world and figure skating. Maia keeps amazing us by her maturity, integrity of values, clod head and dedication to the performance and carrying also Alex through it despite any weaker moments. This lack of selfishness from her I can only applaud and tell that it solidifies their work and partnership more than ever. It is not a big thing to held your head up high while being on podium with medal around your neck with huge score received and issues-less performace - IT IS a big one to stand on the podium and be grateful for than WITH the person who may screw a few things, but tried his best, I am sure Maia should only feel pride for herself and how strong their connection is.

Amazing post and beautifully stated :clap:
I agree completely.

I think there was something going on that we don’t know about and it affected their performance. I expect them to recover quickly and give us the performances we expect at Nationals.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Oh my poor Shibs! That was unexpected. I hope they are okay. :sad21:

Well done on squeaking out the bronze, Maia and Alex. We are all rooting for you to come back strong at Nationals!! :cheer:

rosacotton

Final Flight
I want to give a huge :thank: and :ghug: to everyone who posted yesterday. Initially I just saw the results, was gutted Alex and Maia were last in the free dance, and didn't have the heart to go watch their skate. But after reading all the encouraging posts here, I got up the courage to watch their free dance. It wasn't their best, yet it could have been worse. And seeing how supportive Maia was with Alex makes me respect them even more.

So, thank you all.

musicfan80

Medalist
I expect them to recover quickly and give us the performances we expect at Nationals.

I do as well - but I also think that this weekend is an indicator of how interesting U.S. Nationals will be. It isn't clear who will be where in the medals!

MRani

On the Ice
I do as well - but I also think that this weekend is an indicator of how interesting U.S. Nationals will be. It isn't clear who will be where in the medals!

That’s true. Interesting and nerve-wracking! Lol :laugh:

It’s going to be a fierce battle.

Cutesmile

Rinkside

During the GPFinal, Chock and Bates won the free dance out of the US teams and many people think that Hubell and Donohue are being underscored. There is a divergence in opinions concerning the best US team. it's going to be really interesting at nationals and everyone will fight for the US title

slider11

Medalist
My money is on the Shibs to retain their title at Nationals. It's good to have a blip in the climb -gives you that extra determination before you reach the top!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
after Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas presents shopping I have no money to bet (;)), but...my take on US teams after GPF is that is good and quite 'refreshing' to see some kind of 'vulnerabity' and 'realness' in their performances and how they were reflected in scores. I'm happy for Chock/Bates to raise on the occasion with their FD, regardless of public liking, I'm also happy for Hubbell/Donohue for not losing their heads after that borked lift at the end of the program (score may have been a lot worse than they've received, it was not ideal, but it showed a good sign of them growing up and adjusting to the pressure) AND I am even happier for the Maia and Alex for getting no unnecessary inflation and score floating on air - they sure know that this was far from their best, but better to have faults identified on your side than count on judges' mercy or whatever else going on...And this will be sure a motivational boost for them going into Nationals in January, they are totally in a different place than going to last Olympics and they sure know that. For me, seeing how ID is going this season, Shibutanis are in the best 'attacking' position, because for me they've got already a solid confirmation about their material, construction of it, appeal and outlook, then they scores actually have been very 'real': in terms of applying it to the actual performance and keeping them on their toes (not like some other teams, unfortunately, but it's Olympic season in its bloom, so I don't expect much, feeling more like in the theatre during bad staged drama).

Cutesmile

Rinkside
It's good that there were no influation on their score. It's better to have realistic results. The best way to prepare yourself, adjust your strategy and improve. They have always been hard workers but this year it's more than ever, they worked on their programs early on and off ice, spending many hours training or on professional stuffs. There is a reason why they are on top and more than ready :)

it must been hard mentally and physically, their bodies may feel tired and weak earlier :slink: I hope they can rest and have a break but I don't think they have time... hopefully, everything will be alright :pray:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question. Is it common or even required to do that hop they do at the end of the twizzles?They change back to CCW rotation but then throw a hop and change foot in before they finish the sequence. It’s very cool and almost easy to overlook but I really like it.

https://youtu.be/b-Hc0QzGCHQ?t=3m22s

Sorry for my ignorance. I’ll probably ask more stupid questions too :eek::

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have a question. Is it common or even required to do that hop they do at the end of the twizzles?They change back to CCW rotation but then throw a hop and change foot in before they finish the sequence. It’s very cool and almost easy to overlook but I really like it.

there are no stupid questions - there only questions asked stupidly for me;)

I am no expert, BUT I noticed that e.g. Shibutanis' SD twizzles have definitely extra rotations than required to meet levels requirements and this was praised at SA for example that they are doing 'extra' in this department to match the music, rhythm, not the requirement, which makes them pretty special for me. In general, their twizzles are a class on their own, pretty much like Virtue/Moir's non-touching step sequence - this is not only a matter of levels, because all teams can do that, but the matter of outlook/perception that feels 'owned' by the team:)

this extra 'hop' you mentioned could be a feature of some 'difficult exit' or so to secure lvl4, but I am really not that knowledgeable (and I am lazy:laugh:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here are the requirements for level 4:

Different entry edge and direction of rotation for the two sets of twizzles
four rotations each of the two twizzles
3 features from 3 groups, which are below

Group A(upper body and hands)
* Elbow at least level or higher than shoulders (hands can be above head/same level as head or just below it)
*single continuous motion of arms
* Hands clasped behind body
* Hands clasped and extended in front of the body
* core of body is shifted away from vertical axis.

Group B (skating leg/free leg)
* changing skating leg, knee in continous motion
*sit position
* free leg held out 90 degrees or more between thigh and shin to side back, back or front at 45 degrees or more at vertical
* free leg crossed behind the knee
* holding blade or boot
* Coupée in front or behind with free foot in contact with the skating leg in an open hip position;

Group C (
* both partners perform a third twizzle of at least 3 rotations
* Set of twizzles performed side by side in opposite direction (mirror) without crossing
* entrance to first twizzle from a dance jump
* Set of twizzles performed on one foot without change of foot with no limit on turns or movments performed on one foot between twizzles
* difficult/intricate/create entry

I'm not sure where the dance hop would fit in.

But they do 7 rotations, 7 rotations, 5 rotations, 3 rotations in that sequence. Level four only requires 4 rotations for TWO sets. That's why they weren't marked down in GPF for Alex's mistake.

At GPF, Alex did 5 rotations, 5 rotations 4 rotations, 4 rotations. As long as they kept the special features, they did enough for level 4. Also, I think Maia saw Alex make the mistake so she dropped a rotation so they could get back in sync.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
there are no stupid questions - there only questions asked stupidly for me;)

I am no expert, BUT I noticed that e.g. Shibutanis' SD twizzles have definitely extra rotations than required to meet levels requirements and this was praised at SA for example that they are doing 'extra' in this department to match the music, rhythm, not the requirement, which makes them pretty special for me. In general, their twizzles are a class on their own, pretty much like Virtue/Moir's non-touching step sequence - this is not only a matter of levels, because all teams can do that, but the matter of outlook/perception that feels 'owned' by the team:)

Yes, I admire them for that too, the Shibs come to do these twizzles to match the music and give coherence to the program, although they do not need to do all that to get the level. It's a shame they do not get perfect score when they've done those twizzles perfect like in Skate America and Rostelecom (and no one comes to tell me that they did not get perfect score in Russia because they were slightly out of sync, because we've seen teams as P/C and V/M get perfect scores with twizzles out of sync).

But they do 7 rotations, 7 rotations, 5 rotations, 3 rotations in that sequence. Level four only requires 4 rotations for TWO sets. That's why they weren't marked down in GPF for Alex's mistake.

At GPF, Alex did 5 rotations, 5 rotations 4 rotations, 4 rotations. As long as they kept the special features, they did enough for level 4. Also, I think Maia saw Alex make the mistake so she dropped a rotation so they could get back in sync.

w...t...f...!!!:eek:, I did not know they do so many rotations. In fact I just counted the twizzles in their SD and it seems they do 9 rotations in the first set, I guess that 9th rotation is used as transition to the next set, so amazing, because there are teams who do a full stop and practically walk to accommodate the next set.

About the twizzles group A *single continuous motion of arms, do you guys remember their twizzles in Cinema Paradiso moving their arms during the rotations? https://youtu.be/9zPg5i8bCuc?t=122, I love it!!

Barb

Record Breaker

And thanks for the video Shibs Trilogy Sam :luv17: :thank:

slider11

Medalist
Here's a random comment about the Shibs: It seems that they are somewhat of a loner pair within the other US teams/skaters. I'm not inferring that they are unfriendly but it seems that you don't often see them pal-ing around with other US ice dance skaters during galas, before/ after competitions. Sometimes you'll see them with other country skaters, but not US and usually not ice dancers. It this just their personality gravitating to those they feel comfortable with or a purposefull strategy to distinguish them from Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donahue? I don't think I've ever seen either US ice dance competitors in their vlogs. No psycho-analysis required - just an observation.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And thanks for the video Shibs Trilogy Sam :luv17: :thank:

Thank you :eek::

It was really fun and as a sentimental fan for so long, I've always loved their personalities, it was really nice to dissect these three programs and look at the technical goods. I watched them all several times and added little markers to note the movements that really stood out to me. One of my favorite elements from the get go was from the 2016-17 program "in blue". There is a spin where he lays her on her back across his knee and she lays there flat. It's great and the exit out is very nice. Their attention to detail stood out more and more with each time I watched and made adjustments to match the song I chose. The little looks they gave each other and the crowd...the fist pumps...the little in between steps where they look like they are doing exactly what they were born to do. It's all so great!

I'm not a new fan of them but my anticipation of their next performance is increasing. I'm a better fan now ;). Glad you liked it....it was so enjoyable to make this.