Happy 4th! | Golden Skate

Happy 4th!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To my "fellow patriots" I hope you all have a wonderful and SAFE Independence Day! Happy Pyro Day, America!

To my "fellow patriots" I hope you all have a wonderful and SAFE Independence Day! Happy Pyro Day, America!

Right back at you, Toni. The older I get, the more this holiday means to me. I always spend a bit of time thinking of that first generation, those amazing men and women who staked everything on an idea. And from the look of everything they said, wrote, and did, they didn't take those actions to gain personal power. Imagine a man who gave the greater part of his life to build a country and then didn't want to become its king, or even President for Life. We had one of those; lucky us.

I just discovered that one of the movie channels is showing the movie 1776. I love it and try to watch it every year. This is actually the movie that got me interested in American history. It inspired me to research the various members of the Continental Congress, including of course Franklin, Jefferson, and John Adams, but also the others, such as Caesar Rodney of Delaware. The great John Cullum played Edward Rutledge, and William Daniels was stupendous as Adams. A treat every time I watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love 1776! Great musical... I rock out to the soundtrack all the time...

My name is Richard Henry Lee, Virgin-ia is my home!
My name is Richard Henry Lee, Virgin-iaaaa is my hooome!
And may my horses turn to glue,
If I can't deliver up to you,
A resolution of Independency!

We're currently watching Disney's National Treasure. LOVE it...
"I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The one time of the year I watch PBS - A Capitol Fourth. Sadly it's gotten majorly shortened it seems this year for us in AK...

ETA: and OMG this is a fantastically amazing line up!

I really enjoyed watching A Capitol Fourth. Yeah, an incredible line-up, and wonderful fireworks. It also had probably my favorite emcee of all, Tom Bergeron, who manages to be witty without hogging the spotlight or being crude. Was that Scotty McCreery performing? I loved that song.

And wasn't it lovely to see the Olympians from the more unusual sports get their time at center stage. I think the fencer is one of Peter Westbrook's students. Westbrook won a bronze in the Los Angeles Olympics and many international championships, and then he started a fencing academy to encourage minority participation in the sport. The Smart siblings, Keeth and Erinn, who each medaled in Beijing, were also Westbrook students. A pretty good track record! (Pun not intended.)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How did I miss this thread? Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th (and a great Canada Day for the Canadians this past Sunday).

:love: "A Capitol Fourth." I don't want to sound like a traitor to Philly, but I much prefer the DC & Boston Pops concert celebrations to our own 4th of July concert (although we did go to the always wonderful Philly Pops concert on July 3). We got the entire DC concert, Toni. I wish we would still get the entire Boston Pops one like we used to back in the days of A&E/Bravo! coverage.

Re: 1776 - :love: it. Have the CD and DVD! Great musical, and very inspiring (I am particularly touched by the final moments - the roll call for the vote for independence).

Re: 1776 - :love: it. Have the CD and DVD! Great musical, and very inspiring (I am particularly touched by the final moments - the roll call for the vote for independence).

Oh, man, yeah! Even just thinking about that scene right now gives me gooseflesh. And then the way the men's poses freeze into an imitation of that famous painting, and the Declaration melts into focus over them. It's just glorious.