Where was Kristi? | Golden Skate

Where was Kristi?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Why was Kristi left out of the retrospective on the last 40 years at U.S. Nationals? They showed her in the skating clips a couple times but didn't mention her at all. Considering she won 1992 Nationals with her best ever free skate (a 7 triple program) and then went on to win all the major events, you'd think they would mention her.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think they did the whole retrospective wrong to start with. No mention whatsoever of the ice dancers, few mentions of the pairs, and you're right -- where was Kristi? You'd think the only ladies who'd ever accomplished anything in the last 40 years were Fleming, Hammill, and Lynn. I mean, for crying out loud, even Elaine Zayak got a fair mention with no reference at all to Linda Fratianne or Rosalynn Sumners. And what about Charlie Tickner?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yep, they really did a poor job on their retrospective. Tons of omissions. It's too bad because I think there was potential for a really nice segment and instead it came off as very disorganized and lacking.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I agree, it was thrown together and slighted the people they neglected to mention.........42

sk8m8

Final Flight
God forbid they should put out.."ABC's Wild World of Sports in Figure Skating: The first 40 years" and make an entire program that we would enjoy watching.

I mean can you imagine a 2 hour "skatefest" of all of the old school skaters skating there best Nat performaces. Sounds to good to be true, when we all know we are the "red-headed step-children" of sports fans in the eyes of the network

Where is the Ice Channel?????

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No mention whatsoever of the ice dancers

actually they had a mid 80s dance team mentioned... I'm pretty sure... I just can't remember which one :laugh:

but yeah... there were some really annoying comments made. I really liked how Dick made it sound like Brian Boitano was the one who brought US Mens Figure skating back on the Olympic map... hmmmmmmmm must have got my years wrong... I coulda sworn Scott Hamilton won the Olys 4 years BEFORE Boitano... but I won't get into THAT yet.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
actually they had a mid 80s dance team mentioned... I'm pretty sure... I just can't remember which one :laugh:

It was Blumberg & Seibert. And even then they showed a clip from their weakest Nationals performance of the 5 they won.

And during the men's final, when they were showing the clip of Boitano winning in 88, how in the world can they possibly show clips of that short program without showing the part where he wiped the ice off his skate blade and flung it over his shoulder? I am not now and never have been a huge Boitano fan, but that is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

"For cryin' out loud!"is right JohnnyCoop! It should have been entitled, "Dick and Peggy's favorite skaters from the last 40 years."

And ITA Sk8m8. For all the money figure skating has made ABC sports--okay, a pittance company to football and basketball--but still would it KILL them to do a retrospective that was the real deal instead of 30 sec. of various skaters just before the commercial? I thought it was disrespectful to the achievements of all those athletes, both the ones mentioned and left out.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA RGirl...

and if it does kill ABC, all the more incentive for someone else to pick up figure skating :laugh: