2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fault me for being bias, but not a fan of Davis and White, never was. She is fake and always seems to be over-actig. I don't buy it. And Charlie huffing and puffing at the end, like he just completed something that had never been done.

Charlie was huffing and puffing because he has ASTHMA!

Please the moment had passed, actually there was no moment. Call it sour grapes, they do nothing for me. Bland program like they always put out.

Sour grapes it is. Now go away and sulk!

Tessa is gorgeous, simply stunning and their program was captivating from beginning to end.

But also very cautious and s---l---o---w. That cost them in the PCS scores.

The mistake in the short dance did them in.

But they lost the FD too, by 1.27 points.

jfdw

Rinkside
I am Canadian and I am happy to say that I think Meryl and Charlie deserved to win to-day. I love V/M and they have given some spectacular performances but to-day was Meryl and Charlie's. I think both teams are a great asset to figure skating. They trade comeptitions each year. One wins and one loses some. This year has been Davis/White. I hope they enjoy the moment going into the Olympics.

I hope the air quality in the arena is Russia is good. It would be a terrible shame if skaters with respiratory problems were to have their performances suffer in such an important competition
jfdw

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 189.56 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 185.04 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 169.19 Free Dance
4. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 168.04 Free Dance
5. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 166.20
6. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 165.60
7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 163.93
8. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 157.71
9. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 157.52
10. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 154.27

herios

Medalist
Maybe the USFSA were hedging their bets who they consider their #2 behind C&B and S&S so didnt throw full support behind either in that regard. Now after these Worlds it will clearly be C&B and that will help them next season, and possibly to climb even higher than 7th despite the strength of the teams in front of them.

Why do we need always include in our analysis, the federation's will? While is skater vs. skater, what programs they do and how well they skate actually matters?
If we do not include politicks, we are not feeling good right?
The reality is, C/B has IMPROVED and they gelled only this year, while last year you see how they struggled to adjust to each other.
Shibutani's need a fresh input. They are very takented, but need a new eye and direction. They should leave Marina.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nick Buckland had to get a medical evaluation after their FD. He was having trouble breathing and had developed cardiac arrhytmia. There must be a problem in the arena if so many skaters were having difficulties.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Modern/interesting dances ARE possible.

I know this is Jr. level but this Pink Floyd FD totally rocked out----it did not look like they were trying to cram dance holds. One of my favorites for this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzpqxHuiOI

I think Virtue/Moir certainly could have figured it out....

ETA: Correct video link
ETA2: I do realize that V/M have skated to Pink Floyd as well.

LOL! I'm terrible with links myself. Yes, I love their Pink Floyd program. But again I don't think we'll see anything like that next year, not with an Olympic medal at stake. Pity, really.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Nick Buckland had to get a medical evaluation after their FD. He was having trouble breathing and had developed cardiac arrhytmia. There must be a problem in the arena if so many skaters were having difficulties.

German eurosport guy, who is a former ice dancer and competed there once, said it gets really superhumid in the venue the longer a competition goes on. That could make it harder to breathe.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 189.56 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 185.04 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 169.19 Free Dance
4. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 168.04 Free Dance
5. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 166.20 Free Dance
6. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 165.60 Free Dance
7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 163.93
8. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 157.71
9. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 157.52
10. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 154.27

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why do we need always include in our analysis, the federation's will? While is skater vs. skater, what programs they do and how well they skate actually matters?
If we do not include politicks, we are not feeling good right?
The reality is, C/B has IMPROVED and they gelled only this year, while last year you see how they struggled to adjust to each other.
Shibutani's need a fresh input. They are very takented, but need a new eye and direction. They should leave Marina.

I agree, C/B has improved greatly and that is why they are where they are. What made the difference is the levels + execution. C/B basically had 2 more points in BV then beat them in +GOE by three points.

But on the Shibs end, as I pointed out, it's hard to do anything when there are things out of control -- growth spurt, injury. I think they did the best they could considering their personal physical struggles and I think they will learn from it.

A coaching change would probably be beneficial, or they need to learn to speak up like D/W and have more say in what they can do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I never suggested or hinted C&B rose because of federation support. They earned their way to where they got this year. I am just saying as a reward for that they can probably expect more federation support next year. As to why people usually mention that at some point in their analysis, well if anyone thinks that isnt still a strong factor in the sport, get your head out of the sand already.

kittyhawk

Rinkside
Congrats to all the winners! Meryl and Charlie are just phenomenal. Hopefully this will light a fire in Tessa and Scott and spur them to skate better than ever. The Olympic season will be so exciting!

A shame about the Brits, I was hoping that they would secure 2 spots.

Well, they basically have been told to. My bet is we're gonna see Swan Lake. Ballet, Tchaikovsky, Russian Olympics, Jennifer Swann..... the whole nine yards.

I agree that they might do balletic next season, but I don't think they'll do any of the Petipa classics, no matter that Tessa has a background in the genre. Can you imagine Scott as Siegfried? Solor? Or Desire/Florimund? :) Better fit as Basilio, but I can't quite imagine Tessa as Kitri. And Giselle (neither Petipa nor classical, but one of the big white ballets) is obviously out.

IMO, what would suit them better?

Something along the lines of the Romeo and Juliet ballet (Prokofiev score), 'Manon' (MacMillan choreo), or Ashton's 'Marguerite and Armand'. Tudor's 'The Leaves Are Fading'.
So, not the 'tutu' storybook ones (though I would pay good money to see Scott skate to the pirate ballet 'Le Corsaire', haha). If they want to go 'Russian', 'Anna Karenina' and 'Onegin' have ballet adaptations. If they want a big, clap-along crowd pleaser, Ponchielli's 'Dance of the Hours' is a popular ballet within the opera 'La Gioconda'--if they don't mind bringing up childhood images of dancing alligators and hippopotamuses. :D

I wish there had been a way to reconcile the artistic version of 'Carmen' to the competitive aspect of ice dance. I really liked the program when they first debuted it, and I could totally see the potential of it.

I hope both V/M and D/W come out for the Olympic season with great programs and great performances. Truly a rivalry for the ages.

ETA: I hope Nick Buckland is ok. :eek:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think we can once and for all say that B/S are Russia's number one Ice dance team. I/K are over-rated.

They were always Russia's number one with I/k's biggest detractors being zhulin, tarasova, staviski and the Russian federation and the nationals judges.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I only wish I were as "unattractive" as Meryl! Insipidly pretty? Heck, no. Dramatic and captivating? In spades.