2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Free Dance

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wondering which US skaters will actually go to 4CCs. Amber Glenn has withdrawn. If Chock and Bates are as sick as they/he looked, I can't imagine a 12 hour flight and a major competition in the next 5 days. Why are the US Nationals so late? I know in Olympic years they move it up a week or so but it just seems odd to have it so late and back right into an important competition.
US Nationals aren't that late it's just that 4CC is about 10 days earlier then normal. If i was the USFS i would almost not send a team just in protest of it being held so early.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the free dance press conference...face masks in use

CB presser.jpg

Last edited:

skatingguy

On the Ice
I'm not sure I would agree. Lifts are definitely harder for the short men, but look at the height of skaters we use as examples of very good skating skills (and who are also considered to be very fast) - So many of them are on the short side for their disciplines from Kaori and Shoma to Charlene and Marco.
I should have been more specific - held them back in their scores, and results. Being short in singles isn't the same disadvantage because taller singles skaters tend to struggle with consistency on jumps.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Jackie is reporting that the World's Team will be:

Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville, Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko, Madison Chock/Evan Bates

I'm mildly surprised that Green and Parsons didn't get that third spot... even though I wouldn't have given it to them either.
Wow. If I were Green & Parsons, I would be making plans to leave the Tanith & Charlie camp promptly. It is simply not working out; time to cut their losses, I think.

I bet Barbara Fuser-Poli would be delighted to have them—she appreciates dancers with great skills.

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Dmitry suddenly disappeared. It concerned Flores so much that she called the police. Then we learned that he was at his parents' home all along and never let her know that he wanted to end their skating partnership. His strange disappearance was all over the news. Johnny was right. That was "Olympic level ghosting".
well said

icewhite

Record Breaker
Wow. If I were Green & Parsons, I would be making plans to leave the Tanith & Charlie camp promptly. It is simply not working out; time to cut their losses, I think.

I bet Barbara Fuser-Poli would be delighted to have them—she appreciates dancers with great skills.

But I don't trust in her programs. 😭
Where else could they go? I love them and want the best for them.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
But I don't trust in her programs. 😭
Where else could they go? I love them and want the best for them.
I would have no issue with calling on Luca Lanotte for choreographic assistance—the work he has done for Orihara/Pirinen and Ghilardi/Ambrosini is spectacular.

Though I’m sure we all recall that Green & Parsons can do their own choreography, as they did with their Martha Graham piece.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should have been more specific - held them back in their scores, and results. Being short in singles isn't the same disadvantage because taller singles skaters tend to struggle with consistency on jumps.

IMO, the Browns skate plenty big (Johnny Weir 's benighted hot takes notwithstanding). More speed, yes, more "big", no. I can't imagine a skater who projects more or skates "bigger" than Gage, in any event.

Kaitlin had a wonderful interview where she talked, among other things, about height and height difference between partners and how if you know what you're doing, it's not a factor. Not some secret sauce, just plain old knowing how to do it.

slider11

Medalist

slider11

Medalist

Wow. That is shocking to remove Green/Parsons. I am a huge fan but this has not been a great year for them overall. I can understand how giving Bratti and Sommerville the spot is viable; they showed excellent technique and performance yesterday. If I were on the selection committee, I would see how 4CCs go. Unless Green/Parsons can really light a fire, I think B/S is the right move.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I would have no issue with calling on Luca Lanotte for choreographic assistance—the work he has done for Orihara/Pirinen and Ghilardi/Ambrosini is spectacular.

Though I’m sure we all recall that Green & Parsons can do their own choreography, as they did with their Martha Graham piece.

I loved that so much... as did everyone I suppose...

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What about the team of Emilea and Vadym? They were the wonders of last season, many fans and Johnny Weir would have placed them ahead of C/P. What happened to them, should they leave Igor because they goofed up in their FD?

I get it, fans are impatient they want instant results and are very unforgiving of errors. Just a few weeks ago a few posts were proclaiming the woes of Bratti and Summerville, how they should leave Michigan and get new coaches as they could never achieve the podium with their ill suited FD and all the talent in the USA.
There are so many good ice dance teams now, the results won't stay static all the time. Wanting teams to switch coaches like they're playing musical chairs is just silly.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good idea. How about on the podium when you are inches away from your competitors?
In the press conference the other teams said Chock & Bates were keeping away from everyone. I did not see the awards ceremony so I cannot comment on that. All I see is a picture, don’t know if they had masks or not and were asked to take them off for pictures. In certain parts of the country use of masks angers others. As a health professional I wish that wasn’t true. Let me ask you, do you have masks readily available to you if you got sick 24 hours after arriving somewhere? If you do great, if not you are like most others traveling these days.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about the team of Emilea and Vadym? They were the wonders of last season, many fans and Johnny Weir would have placed them ahead of C/P. What happened to them, should they leave Igor because they goofed up in their FD?

I get it, fans are impatient they want instant results and are very unforgiving of errors. Just a few weeks ago a few posts were proclaiming the woes of Bratti and Summerville, how they should leave Michigan and get new coaches as they could never achieve the podium with their ill suited FD and all the talent in the USA.
There are so many good ice dance teams now, the results won't stay static all the time. Wanting teams switch coaches like they're playing musical chairs is just silly.
Each of these teams are close in scores and each are going to have good days and bad days. The good news is that every dog has its day. Let’s just celebrate the victors and wait for the next turn of the wheel to see who wins next time and leave the coaching to the skaters and their coaches and experts in the field. As Frank Carroll told his students - there will be other championships.

slider11

Medalist
In the press conference the other teams said Chock & Bates were keeping away from everyone. I did not see the awards ceremony so I cannot comment on that. All I see is a picture, don’t know if they had masks or not and were asked to take them off for pictures. In certain parts of the country use of masks angers others. As a health professional I wish that wasn’t true. Let me ask you, do you have masks readily available to you if you got sick 24 hours after arriving somewhere? If you do great, if not you are like most others traveling these days.
I did not see the award ceremony but the picture Golden Skate shows has all 4 teams tightly gathered on the top podium. Now, Chock and Bates could have masked prior and removed the mask for the picture. Possibly, I'm guessing no. Good that they masked at the press conference but the award ceremony is more concerning to me as top teams are so close for several minutes. If skaters don't travel with a mask, I am certain that the USFSA would/should have a supply of masks ready for whatever medical situation.

skatingguy

On the Ice
IMO, the Browns skate plenty big (Johnny Weir 's benighted hot takes notwithstanding). More speed, yes, more "big", no. I can't imagine a skater who projects more or skates "bigger" than Gage, in any event.
More speed will help, but I think when they have difficult competitions they're skating gets smaller.