2013 Worlds - Free Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Free Dance

I only wish I were as "unattractive" as Meryl! Insipidly pretty? Heck, no. Dramatic and captivating? In spades.

I absolutely agree. Captivating is a wonderful adjective for Meryl, and she and Charlie set each other off perfectly and intriguingly. The poster who said Meryl looks a bit like Brandy, I see what you mean. Both have a sort of gamine look. Tessa's face proportions are very classical, and Meryl's are almost stylized. When the two top couples stand together, it's like seeing Art Nouveau and Art Deco-style drawings displayed next to each other.

I can't wait to see the skates. Thanks, Mao88!

figuristka

Medalist
Not completely happy with the judging either.

D/W always skate lights out with alot of speed and lightness. I thought they deserved 1st overall however i really thought V/M should have won the freedance portion of the competition with their Carmen. Such drama, attention for detail and expression. Complex choreography, its truly a masterpiece. Not only that but when we are learning compuslory dances V/M have all the qualities we learn are the most important in dance. I could watch their Free over and over, don't really care about a level for a step sequence ,i would have given them the Free dance portion but second overall. Carmen is a work of art.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
The very best thing for me in this whole competition was WP..to go through what they did and only lose one placement from last year, in a tough field ,was just superb.

D/W always skate lights out with alot of speed and lightness. I thought they deserved 1st overall however i really thought V/M should have won the freedance portion of the competition with their Carmen. Such drama, attention for detail and expression. Complex choreography, its truly a masterpiece. Not only that but when we are learning compuslory dances V/M have all the qualities we learn are the most important in dance. I could watch their Free over and over, don't really care about a level for a step sequence ,i would have given them the Free dance portion but second overall. Carmen is a work of art.

The great competitions in skating are when we have two or more incredible programs to choose from and we can argue over details, rather than an event such as last night's men's competition, when we can't even take satisfaction in the performances of the few who are left standing. I feel lucky in the one-two punch delivered by D/W and V/M today.

meem

On the Ice
Yes, watching W/P compete at Worlds is such a thrill. I loved both of their programs. I'm probably one of the few who loved the FD and her costume. That FD is so ethereal, IMO. Also loved C/L's "Carmen" once again. I would've been happy with either team on the podium instead of B/S. Thrilled for D/W. Also, I noted that so many of the male skaters were bent over at the end of their programs today (Shibutani was clutching Marina's arm as he remained on the ice). I need a break before returning to my laptop for Ladies LP - ice dance comp was exhausting! Thanks to all who provided links to video streams. This afternoon I watched Ltv - couldn't understand a word, of course, except when the female commentator would say "oy" or "aye-yai-yai" or "oops". So glad to be able to watch Worlds!!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight

I cannot agree. I find D&W's FD breathtaking. There is no other word to describe it. It just blew everything else away.

dcnative

On the Ice
Well I'm heartbroken for Pechalat and Bourzat. I was looking forward to them winning the bronze with that program because it's so untraditional. I saw it in their short performance, but it's obvious that Fabian is still injured, and that was really apparent in the FD, with the changes they made to it. They are such great and creative skaters that I'm sure they will do very well on the tour circuit. I speculate that they made the push for another bronze with retirement to follow, as they are "elders" in the sport. Their maturity, sophistication, innovation and technical excellence will be missed in competition. If they don't push another year I can understand it but I will miss them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Read in a Boston Globe article this morning that Meryl Davis is dyslexic and has no depth perception. Didn't know that. She doesn't like to talk about it and that's probably why it is news to a lot of us.

Someone else put the link up, but it doesn't record why this came out. The part about the dyslexia was part of the video series that they are part of, along with quite a few other American Olympic level athletes, Classroom Champions:

http://www.classroomchampions.org/person/74/Andrea-Wiggins

Our "community" grew this week in Sherman, TX. We had a live Skype with our Olympians, Charlie White and Meryl Davis. It went as planned and the children thoroughly enjoyed it, but something magical and unforgettable happened mid way through. Meryl and Charlie were both asked the question, "Did either of you have any struggles in school?" Meryl began her story. She said she was Dyslexic. She stated she had been diagnosed when she was in the 3rd grade and that reading was difficult for her until the 11th grade.

Her story really made a difference to at least one of the kids in Mrs. Wiggins class, which is why she wrote the above story.

A student of mine was changed today for the better and the fact that he now KNOWS someone, a celebrity you might say, that is like him made him hold his head a little higher and that, right there, is why Classroom Champions, is an amazing program that lifts up spirits.

Thank you Meryl for being so open and honest about your struggles. Because of it, I have a young man who goes to Dyslexia class now smiling because he knows it will one day get easier.

I'm so glad both V&M and D&W had really good performances!

I'm thrilled that Meryl & Charlie won their second World Championships!

I think someone in Canada should fix the AC in that rink. They should remember what happened to former world champion Karen Magnussen, and other skaters at the rink where she coached due to bad air quality

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010wi...ems+skater+Karen+Magnussen/6569218/story.html

Rinks all over the world should take notice, sample your air, and do something about it. Quit causing damage to skaters.

I hope Nick Buckland is OK

I think C&B could have been higher, but really early success can cause resentment; look at the Shibs. Meryl & Charlie debuted in seventh place, Tessa & Scott in sixth, in their first worlds. C&B's programs & skills have just come so far!

Mrs. P, I agree that growing & injury, not to mention coaching disruptions, had a lot to do with the Shib's recent troubles; I hope to see better from them next year! There is so much good stuff in their skating, particularly the timing, and the precision.

I haven't watched all the programs yet...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Can't agree. This performance of Carmen was the slowest and most cautious one of the season. They were obviously skating not to lose---that is, skating carefully to avoid mistakes---not skating to win. They didn't let it all hang out; other performances this season, if slightly flawed, had more fire and emotion than this one. IMO they got their best FD score of the season thanks to home ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think V&M can get the gold with romantic programs. They used this so many times on SD and FD. Almost all of show programs too.

In respect to V and M and romantic programs yeah I think they might do that next year. They can do it better than D and W but I think the judges have swung to D and W. It will take a miracle now for V and m to regain their past glory. they make mistakes now though their Carmen in my opinion won the freeskate but they were so far behind it didn't matter. I think the most pleasant surprise is Weaver and Poje and I and K. Really sad to see I and K fall apart; just pathetic. Ihope they have an ephiphany. Nice work from Chock and bates. Here is what I see needs to happen I and k, V and m will need to have amjor revampsoff season work ton techincal skating and artistry. If they don't make major changes they will go nowhere. Russia barely earned 3 spots. how sad.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibs also need to learn how to skate out more and make themselves bigger on the ice. I noticed that one difference between Chock/Bates and the Shibs is that C/B have more nuances and details in their movement during their elements that the Shibs don't seem to have.

I think for next season, the Quickstep will let them play to their strengths whole the FD needs to be epic and almost uplifting to inspire the audience to root for them. I think the beasts of the Southern Wild soundtrack would be perfect. The music is big, easy on the ears, loud, and with lots of variation. Plus, it's not romantic so the don't have to worry about that part.

SGrand

Final Flight
He's seriously over-dramatic for no reason. Meryl's hair, it's just nasty. She looks like a cheap Snow White.

She has gorgeous hair, could practically do a Pantene commercial for the love of god. Maybe not the best style in the SD, but it went with the program.

SGrand

Final Flight
Listen they're the rivals of my favourites and this afternoon they won. I'm upset and the only thing that makes me feel better is to write something bad even if deep down I know there's nothing wrong with her looks and their performance. It's childish on my part, but damn it feels better when writing nasty stuff even if you don't believe 'em.

Lol! Sorry, responded before I read this! Your honesty is refreshing haha! :)

SGrand

Final Flight
Sorry, her nose is like a woodpecker....She is a very unattractive woman but she is an excellent dancer and skater and they deserved to win.

Ok, seriously, what's with all the picking on Meryl's looks? I think she's quite gorgeous and unique.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think it's the 'we have to make you look mature' approach.

This is why all skaters end up skating overused, dire, dull, classical or pseudo-classical music. Because apparently that's what being mature is. :p

I know. It's utterly criminal. There's so much interesting music out there that has never been used and what do we get? Cotton Eyed Joe (hoedown and disco remix) for the 83rd millionth time and Carmen for the 123rd zillionth time. Sigh. At least we were spared the 4, 239, 324th performance of Requiem for a Dream (and I actually like that score--but please! Retire it! Retire it now until the NEXT millennium!).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In respect to V and M and romantic programs yeah I think they might do that next year. They can do it better than D and W but I think the judges have swung to D and W. It will take a miracle now for V and m to regain their past glory. they make mistakes now though their Carmen in my opinion won the freeskate but they were so far behind it didn't matter. I think the most pleasant surprise is Weaver and Poje and I and K. Really sad to see I and K fall apart; just pathetic. Ihope they have an ephiphany. Nice work from Chock and bates. Here is what I see needs to happen I and k, V and m will need to have amjor revampsoff season work ton techincal skating and artistry. If they don't make major changes they will go nowhere. Russia barely earned 3 spots. how sad.

Oh as I said, I would bet BIG bucks Voir will go back to the ooey gooey romance wheelhouse. Every time they have strayed out of it, they lose the long program. Big BIG bucks would I bet. Romantic and balletic. Count on it.

Antiloquy

Rinkside
Argh. I have to get used to posting on here.

Longtime lurker, but had to say congrats to Meryl and Charlie! My favorite dance team.

Last edited: