Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 145 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

gkelly

Record Breaker
The tights that go inside the boot with a closed toe are similar in shape to pantyhose but a bit thicker. Similar to ballet tights.

Over-the-boot tights are larger in the foot section and are open on the bottom of the foot with some kind of fastener (velcro, snaps, buckles) to keep them secure once they're on.

Here's one brand showing a variety of styles:
http://www.skate-buys.com/mondor.html

If you click on a specific product and then click on the picture again from the product page, it will enlarge the photo to give you a clearer view.

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Why do skaters sometimes repeat the same music from one year to another? I know that sometimes they will go back to a previous program because they feel the one for the season didn't work (Bobrova and Soloviev for Sochi) but how about Ashley Wagner and Moulin Rouge or Cooombs and Buckland with their Muse program? If for no other reason I would think 2 years of the same music would become very difficult to listen to day in and day out.

Just curious, thanks.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The tights that go inside the boot with a closed toe are similar in shape to pantyhose but a bit thicker. Similar to ballet tights.

Over-the-boot tights are larger in the foot section and are open on the bottom of the foot with some kind of fastener (velcro, snaps, buckles) to keep them secure once they're on.

Here's one brand showing a variety of styles:
http://www.skate-buys.com/mondor.html

If you click on a specific product and then click on the picture again from the product page, it will enlarge the photo to give you a clearer view.

Thanks for the info! Being a fan and not a skater I had no idea there were so many options or that the over the boot had fasteners. And thanks also to karne for answering my "stupid question"

qwerty

On the Ice
Why do skaters sometimes repeat the same music from one year to another? I know that sometimes they will go back to a previous program because they feel the one for the season didn't work (Bobrova and Soloviev for Sochi) but how about Ashley Wagner and Moulin Rouge or Cooombs and Buckland with their Muse program? If for no other reason I would think 2 years of the same music would become very difficult to listen to day in and day out.

Just curious, thanks.

Some reasons off the top of my head: not enough time to choreograph a new one (or enough time to train the new program); this was Ashley's reason for keeping Moulin Rouge. Another reason is $$$, it can be very expensive to hire a top-notch choreographer. And another is if a program didn't get performed very often during the previous year for whatever reason, a skater will sometimes keep it since it's relatively fresh.

Nocturne

On the Ice
I have a question about the GOEs in the Men's short program yesterday:

Hanyu got 3s for his 4S and so he got 3 points to the base value. But he got also 3s for a spin/step sequence but there it is only like 1,5 added in the end. Is the final GOE calculated differently for jumps than for the rest?

And how does Shoma get - 4 for his fall on the quad, wenn all judges gave - 3? Is the - 1 for the fall counted in there?

Obviously, i dont understand GOEs as I thought....

moriel

Record Breaker

Hanyu got 3s for his 4S and so he got 3 points to the base value. But he got also 3s for a spin/step sequence but there it is only like 1,5 added in the end. Is the final GOE calculated differently for jumps than for the rest?

And how does Shoma get - 4 for his fall on the quad, wenn all judges gave - 3? Is the - 1 for the fall counted in there?

The GOEs are factored for all elements. So for example a +3 GOE on a triple will be relatively lower than a +3 GOE on a quad. This way, you get a higher reward for doing harder elements well.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I read on Wikipedia that in the 6.0 system, the penalty for Zayaking was a 0.1 deduction per infraction. So that means that if a judge would have given a 5.8, one Zayak would be 5.7, a second Zayak would be 5.6, and so on. Am I understanding that right? Was it actually enforced?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Who knows? The breakdowns of how the judges arrived at their scores were never published.

I remember some journalist asking Ilia Kulik about his repeating the 3F without combo at 1996 Worlds and how did it feel knowing he would have won if he'd put a double toe on the end of one of them. But there's no guarantee that he would have -- the judges who thought Eldredge was better might still all have thought Eldredge was better even without that rule violation.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Just curious, thanks.

Hmm, I will talk as someone who used to be in the performance area. Why is Ashley repeating? Maybe she feels like she can improve on her 'best'. I really wish her well. If you are a perfectionist, you just don't move on to the next thing. You want perfect. That's just me... Good luck Ashley.

Nocturne

On the Ice
The GOEs are factored for all elements. So for example a +3 GOE on a triple will be relatively lower than a +3 GOE on a quad. This way, you get a higher reward for doing harder elements well.

Thanks you. :)
But what about Shomas - 4?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

GOE scaling varies depending on the type of technical element and difficulty of it. For example, the GOE point bonus scales up from 1.5 points for a Level 3 step sequence to 2.1 points for a Level 4 step sequence. Quads and triple axel jumps can get as many as 3 bonus points (3.6 for a 4A).

Furthermore, positive GOE for good execution and negative GOE for mistakes isn't the same in value depending on the element. For example, the maximum GOE bonus for a quality spin is 1.5 points but the maximum penalty is 0.9 points. On the other hands, a 4T or 4S gets up to 3 points as a bonus but up to 4 points as deduction.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm bored out here in California so I was listening to the radio and watching the food network at the same. Then, a song came on the radio called "Action" it's by a one hit wonder and her name is Evelyn Champaign King. I am in this video wearing a Michael Jackson ripoff jacket like one he wore in beat it. It's red with these stupid looking white epilettes on the shoulders. You can see me fairly clearly in the opening scenes and then I disappear from the rest of the video. The choreography is horrible and the choreographer was always late and unprepared. To this day, it's the only job I've ever Diva'd out and quit.

So, my stupid question is. What's the worst job you've ever had and what did you hate about it.

Here's the video "Action" By Evelyn Champaign King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5JiyZKNws

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm bored out here in California so I was listening to the radio and watching the food network at the same. Then, a song came on the radio called "Action" it's by a one hit wonder and her name is Evelyn Champaign King. I am in this video wearing a Michael Jackson ripoff jacket like one he wore in beat it. It's red with these stupid looking white epilettes on the shoulders. You can see me fairly clearly in the opening scenes and then I disappear from the rest of the video. The choreography is horrible and the choreographer was always late and unprepared. To this day, it's the only job I've ever Diva'd out and quit.

So, my stupid question is. What's the worst job you've ever had and what did you hate about it.

Here's the video "Action" By Evelyn Champaign King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5JiyZKNws

Hey, Mrrice, can't remember my worst job ever, but I do remember Evelyn Champaign King (Shaaaaame!) thanks for the vid; I want to know whose nephew the guy in the mauve jacket was, cause all he did was stand there and give the come-on look (or what he thought was a come-on look) to Evelyn. Like some skaters I've seen:dance:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey, Mrrice, can't remember my worst job ever, but I do remember Evelyn Champaign King (Shaaaaame!) thanks for the vid; I want to know whose nephew the guy in the mauve jacket was, cause all he did was stand there and give the come-on look (or what he thought was a come-on look) to Evelyn. Like some skaters I've seen:dance:

El Henry, I am so happy you picked up on the guy in the mauve jacket. In fact, He's one of the reasons I hated this job. He had bad teeth and was a terrible dancer. I usually knew or had it least done a project with almost everyone in town when this video was shot. "The Guy" as he was called. Was someone I had never seen or heard of. Rumor has it that He, and the perpetually late choreographer were close friends of Evelyn's and that she was being loyal to them. Believe me, even she wasn't happy about their constant lateness. Remember that these Dancers are on the clock once they arrive on the set and have to be paid whether the camera's are rolling or not.

Also, the Drivers who are sent to pick these people up, usually have several people to transport throughout the day. This includes trips to LAX which, in LA, traffic can take an hour or more each way depending on the traffic.

Last edited:

Jombi

On the Ice
If Chan switched to ice dance, what chances would he have to become a top ice dancer?

If Chan switched to ice dance, what chances would he have to become a top ice dancer?

IMHO Patrick has the blade skills, plus a dancer's carriage. It would come down to partnering skills. Would Patrick be content to focus on presenting the lady, as many ballroom-type dances require?

I can imagine a contest of wills if he partnered with Madison Chock, for instance. :laugh: