Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 146 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
If Chan switched to ice dance, what chances would he have to become a top ice dancer?

Chances are spectacular that he'd be a great Ice Dancer. You know who he should call.....Kaetlyn Osmond. That girl looks and performs like an Ice Dancer. :cheer2:

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
If anyone knows the answer to this, I would like to add a part 2 question. Why is the toe loop sometimes called a "cherry flip"?

I love Euro announcers. Oh yes the cherry flip! Enquiring minds want to know! It was funny because when I started skating in my mid/late 20s I was telling my friends I *will* get the double flip. They knew me from gymn and knew I only landed maybe 30 double backs (always into a very matted cushion...) Some I stood up on, others I just let my body crash. So they were confused when I talked about the double flip on ice. I''d be interested to know why it's called a "flip". Uncle Dick would call it a toe salchow which is more like it.

Jombi

On the Ice
from mrrice "Chances are spectacular that he'd be a great Ice Dancer."
IMHO Patrick has the blade skills, plus a dancer's carriage. It would come down to partnering skills. Would Patrick be content to focus on presenting the lady, as many ballroom-type dances require?
I'd love so see him try. I mean in 2022 he's going to be 31, it's not THAT old ;) But yeah, all of these years under the spot light all alone will be difficult to forget..
I can imagine a contest of wills if he partnered with Madison Chock, for instance. :laugh:
Definitely! It'd be something like this from both of them :biggrin: (found it in another thread, had to steal it!)

musicfan80

Medalist
Have you guys seen this? It's Roger Goodell joking about Concussions. I'd love to see Joshua film a counter spot and busting this idiot and remind him that concussions are NOT funny and can alter/ruin the rest of someone's life. Shame on him.:no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWX32Y-IlVw

Joshua would have to wait in line behind the hundreds of former NFL players who would rip Goodell because they have permanent brain injuries due to the multiple concussions they have suffered while playing football. I believe Troy Aiken or Steve Young said that there were times where they didn't know where they were while they were still playing in a game. Even Frank Gifford's family is speaking about about the brain disease (CTE) that he suffered.

But back to Joshua - it may be a good idea if he was in a piece about the importance of maintaining your health while training and competing at an elite level in sports. Maybe Jason Brown, with news of his back injury, could join him.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Joshua would have to wait in line behind the hundreds of former NFL players who would rip Goodell because they have permanent brain injuries due to the multiple concussions they have suffered while playing football. I believe Troy Aiken or Steve Young said that there were times where they didn't know where they were while they were still playing in a game. Even Frank Gifford's family is speaking about about the brain disease (CTE) that he suffered.

But back to Joshua - it may be a good idea if he was in a piece about the importance of maintaining your health while training and competing at an elite level in sports. Maybe Jason Brown, with news of his back injury, could join him.

This is a great idea and one that I pitched to Dave and Jenny a while ago. I suggested they film something like "The Journey Back To The Ice" How a skater Trains, Lives, and deals with Injuries. I think it would not only be educational. I think it would be inspiring for any athlete who is in the process of injury recovery.

Last edited:

Seruleane

Final Flight
OK, I realize this will probably get me laughed at, but what does Razzano mean? I have heard it mentioned on TSL so many times, and I tried looking it up but only find info on Douglas Razzano. Is it some sort of landing position after jumps or something? Thanks to whoever can offer insight :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
OK, I realize this will probably get me laughed at, but what does Razzano mean? I have heard it mentioned on TSL so many times, and I tried looking it up but only find info on Douglas Razzano. Is it some sort of landing position after jumps or something? Thanks to whoever can offer insight :)

The 'Razzano' is just a 3T+3T combo.

Douglas Razzano had a reputation to always have it in both programs and nail it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
If Chan switched to ice dance, what chances would he have to become a top ice dancer?

I understand your question, but I almost think he's already a top ice dancer!!! He's someone you could just watch SKATING all day long. Not saying he should or would switch, because he showed he still has 'IT' at GPF (freeskate at least.... uggh)

mao_da_artist

Rinkside
If a skater has a planned sp of something like 3LZ3T 2A 3L but misses the 3LZ3T, why don't they ever try to do a 2A3T? It seems they almost always go for the 3L2T combo.

Jombi

On the Ice
I understand your question, but I almost think he's already a top ice dancer!!! He's someone you could just watch SKATING all day long. Not saying he should or would switch, because he showed he still has 'IT' at GPF (freeskate at least.... uggh)

I didn't mean in a derogatory way, like "oh, you're finished, you better switch discipline". Not at all. It was more like "wouldn't it be nice to reach the top in TWO different discipline?". But in the end yeah, fantasy figure skating. :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
If a skater has a planned sp of something like 3LZ3T 2A 3L but misses the 3LZ3T, why don't they ever try to do a 2A3T? It seems they almost always go for the 3L2T combo.

Good question.
Its because the rules requires the axel jump,to be a solo jump.

gkelly

Record Breaker
sorry I missed the lower case abbreviation "sp" -- I usually spell it out or use upper case for abbreviations so it doesn't get lost

mrrice

Record Breaker

I wish I could give this comment a double like as it's exactly how I feel about Patrick and his beautiful skating skills.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I really ask a lot of questions. Here's another one. Does Uzbekistan have their own Nationals? I've been so worried about Misha and his preparation for Worlds. He made such a huge impression on me last year and I hope he'll be able to make to 6 again this year. In fact, I'll be thrilled if he's in the top 10.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really ask a lot of questions. Here's another one. Does Uzbekistan have their own Nationals? I've been so worried about Misha and his preparation for Worlds. He made such a huge impression on me last year and I hope he'll be able to make to 6 again this year. In fact, I'll be thrilled if he's in the top 10.

Some years Uzbekistan has a Nationals, and last year it reported having them:
http://static.isu.org/media/210944/1953-best-national-results-2014-15.pdf

There is a wiki about it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbekistani_Figure_Skating_Championships

However, I don't have other details.