Question about "practicing" | Golden Skate

Question about "practicing"

What exactly do skaters do between nationals and worlds? Some of them are punching up the technical content of their programs by adding new elements. But let's say your program is set. Still, you have to "practice" several hours a day every day for the next month. What does this consist of? Do you just go over and over the same thing 100 times in a row? How do you keep from getting bored? How many reps of your triple Salchows can you do?

Mathman

nymkfan51

Medalist
Since I don't skate, I can't say for sure ... but I would think that all skaters will be making some adjustments to their programs for Worlds ... even though they might be very small things. It seems everyone has something that they need to get better at. For Michelle, I would imagine she will be working on the 3/3 and maybe her spins.
For Sasha, we have already heard from her that she will be working on some basic stroking ... in addition I would think, to doing full run-throughs of her programs and building up her stamina.
I guess for each skater it will be different. Frankly, I can't wait!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, I hope they aren't sitting around eating Bon-bon's :laugh:

As mentioned, there probably all fine tuning various details and trying to avoid being sick.

It's not that hard to fall out of conditioning. I remember seeing Nicole Bobek perform at Nationals in 94. Since she missed the Oly team, she relaxed. I couldn't believe how out of shape she seemed 2 months later when she was sent to World's (since both Tonya & Nancy skipped for different reasons.) Nicole didn't even make it out of the qualifying rounds that year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman:

Between Nationals and the Worlds, it's a very critical time for skaters. They have to be careful that they do not "over train." They still have to practice, but at they same time they do not want to have left their best skate at their Nationals.

Most of them do conditioning exercises on and off the ice and work on any moves they may have yet to perfect before the worlds.

They all have strict training programs they adhere to.

I would think they would be running through their routines once a day incorporating any changes they think they need. The daily routine would help with muscle memory so that they do not have to freeze up when it comes to their 3x3s and quads. Oh yes, that footwork which they don't want to trip on towards the end of the routine.

Joe

Evdokia

On the Ice
I think between Nationals and Worlds skaters will put mainly some more focus on those elements which haven't worked so well at the beginning of the season, e.g. a jump that went wrong quite often during the GP-series, or a spin which still isn't perfect.

And they'll probably try to give their programes some kind of last refinement, that all moves work together well. Maybe they'll still make some minor changes in choreography?

Actually I think it's a very difficult period of time for those skaters, which skate for coutries, where there is a very high level of competition at Nationals, like in the U.S. or Russia. On one hand, the skaters have to be in top shape at Nationals to make it to the world team, on the other hand, they should still have left some reserves to be able to peak at Worlds. - Not an easy task. :rolleye:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Would you mind the point of view of a lower level skater who competes ISI? In between comps. we still work on the program, sometimes to refine it and change things or to improve things that could be better. We also work on new skills. As my coach says, we don't just want you to skate well at this level, we want to work on things from the higher levels. So its a combination of the program, new skills, refining old ones, working on moves in the field, etc. You never stop learning, even with the old skills. I'd imagine that even senior skaters have days where they just work on crossovers, or days with just certain spins or jumps. Plus, they're likely still challenging themselves with new combos, new in-betweens, etc. There's still a lot of work to be done!

southwest wind

Rinkside
I have always wondered about how many run throughs you might do in a practice day. Seems like 1 or maybe 2. From my armchair, that doesn't sound like many to build muscle memory ( when I give a important presentation, I obsess on it, doing many times). Why don't they do more? Wouldn't it help?
SWW

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Practice is a funny thing. From a very amateur experience I have in performing, I know that there is a point where you just over-rehearse. Rehearsing is great while you are working on particular improvements, but then there just comes a point where performance becomes robotic and boring. May be that is something they would like to avoid.

Also, you say you obsess about your presentations. How long do you actually prepare for them? Can you imagine rehearsing it many times a day for months?

icestar

Rinkside
training in between

I think the biggest danger here is over training, Like ladskater mentioned. Skaters are trying to balance on that fine line of too much and too little. One way you are more prone to injury and running yourself down, and on the other hand you don't want to run out of gas in the middle of your long program at Worlds. I would say most skaters take a break of a few days to a week following all the hype and energy of nationals. Then it is back to training like you were before nationls. As far as training on the ice goes, further away from worlds skaters do sections of their programs apposed to full run throughs, although this could vary from coach to coach, something like dividing the program into 3 section and then doing each section 3 times each with breaks inbetween. This way you can train your program more. Doing a full runthrough takes an enormous amount of energy. as competition nears you would move from doing sections to doing the whole program. Most skaters do two practice sessions, a morning and then an afternoon, and would do the short runthrough on one and the long on the other. Heavy off-ice training is out, sport specific and power exercises would be in at this point in the season.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"Practice makes perfect!"

Old joke:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

-" practice, practice, practice!"

:D

merrywidow

Record Breaker
When Johnny Weir was on the Today show last week he said that he trains 3 hours a day on the ice & twice a week he does pilates. Many of the teenagers who have not graduated from high school (or college) will have their studies to keep them busy as well as having to train. I heard that all the Japanese girls attend public schools.

Evdokia

On the Ice
merrywidow said:
Many of the teenagers who have not graduated from high school (or college) will have their studies to keep them busy as well as having to train. I heard that all the Japanese girls attend public schools.

I think the Russian skaters attend public schools as well, at least that's what I red about Plushenko. And I'll bet they all find school quite relaxing compared to the stress they have with competing at top levels in FS. :laugh:

wvgal57

On the Ice
Kristie Yamaguchi says that she used to do double run throughs of her programs just about every day in practice. I see this as the way to go myself, get your body used to doing more and on competition day, it's like a vacation to simply do your "one" program.

We use this strategy with our horses in preparing for the horse show season. As spring starts we'll simply get them back in shape and bit and then we'll get into the grind and every day start working them a bit harder to build stamina and endurance. We train hard and put them through more at home in the rink than what they'll go through in competition. When the heat and stress kicks in, it's like a walk in the park for them.

I agree - practice, practice, practice!

Evdokia said:
I think the Russian skaters attend public schools as well, at least that's what I red about Plushenko. And I'll bet they all find school quite relaxing compared to the stress they have with competing at top levels in FS. :laugh:

I doubt that Evdokia - As a skater and student at school, I hated school and just wanted to skate, but it's a law in the States that one must go to school till a certain age. I believe it is l8. I think Sarah Hughes came from a very together family and could do both and enjoy both.

Joe

Evdokia

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I doubt that Evdokia - As a skater and student at school, I hated school and just wanted to skate, but it's a law in the States that one must go to school till a certain age. I believe it is l8. I think Sarah Hughes came from a very together family and could do both and enjoy both.
Joe

Joe, probably you're right, and many skaters don't really like to go to school. :) On the other hand many skaters are/were pretty good students, so they must have had fun in school too (or less fun with skating:D). BTW it's not only the states were it's obligatory to go to school up to a certain age - it's the same for all countries of European Union and Russia. The age limit of course differs from country to country, but I think, I remember that it's not lower than 15 in any of those countries.

But whether you like school or not - I'm sure it's pretty wise to get a really good education beside skating, as this isn't a job you can do for a very long time and a risky one in addition.