Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Russian Audiences

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    According to news reports, the Russian audiences were very supportive of Jeremy. When he regained his composure after his fall, the audience cheered him right to the end. What more do you want....peanut butter and jelly on it. Get over it already. People hear what they want to hear, either good or bad.
    now, Im sure thodays FS will be one of the best with a great support

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    now, Im sure thodays FS will be one of the best with a great support
    I hope so. At least those who show up today will be showing up to watch, cheer, and respect other countries' skaters, instead of waiting to watch just Plushenko and then taking off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I hope so. At least those who show up today will be showing up to watch, cheer, and respect other countries' skaters, instead of watching Plushenko and then leaving.
    good skates with a great skate - 20 gap points from the champion is my ideal momentum

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Not these 1 post trolls again...

Did anyone notice that the Russians also cheered when Russian skaters faltered? They cheered when Plushenko withdrew, so was that an attack or accolade? They cheered Jeremy Abbott after he fell, so was that an attack on his psyche or encouragement? They also cheered when Mao fell on her triple axel, and cheered again when she landed her next jump, so was that triple axel applause an attack or encouragement?

I am very disappointed in S/S's assertion that they were undermined by the audience, it was no fault of anyone but Robin's when he fell on his jump, or when they decided to do the triple axel throw, knowing full well that they had not landed it in competitions. That put them behind both Russian teams who skated cleanly. I interpreted the applause after Robin fell the same way as that of Abbott's. I think it is reflective more on the recipients than this audience.
    The crowd also cheered when Liam Firus, the very first skater in the Men's SP, fell on his first jump. I somehow doubt they were doing it to say: "Yeah! that increases our Plushenko's chances!!"

Custom Title
    Do you ever think, that when skaters fall, the audience cheers not because they fall but to give them support to get up and skate on.

Custom Title
    ^ If you were directing that at me, then yes, that's entirely what I was trying to say, also.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    The crowd also cheered when Liam Firus, the very first skater in the Men's SP, fell on his first jump. I somehow doubt they were doing it to say: "Yeah! that increases our Plushenko's chances!!"

Custom Title
    I'm watching curling and I notice the Russians start a "Russia! Russia!" chant not when their own team is throwing rocks, but rather when the *opposing* team is throwing rocks. Since curling is about communication between teammates and concentration, it's an unwelcome distraction, and frankly rather unsportsmanlike.

Custom Title
    Oh and the crowd is also cheering when the opposing team misses their shots. The announcers are even saying how the crowd is trying to get the opposing team to miss by cheering loudly.

Custom Title
    And yet again in ice dance the audience is deplorably muted for V/M and D/W while giving Russian teams a standing ovation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    And yet again in ice dance the audience is deplorably muted for V/M and D/W while giving Russian teams a standing ovation.
    well in all fairness, most of them left lol

Banned
    huge cheer from of the biggest crowd cheer I have ever heard
    very happy for the support especially to Elena and Nikita

Custom Title
    Both vm and dw got tons of applause but I/k just stole the night hugely. Yeah the crows was partisan - big surprise- bit the performance for I/k was great. Crowd wasnt nuts for b/s either - applause was like dw and vm.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    Do you ever think, that when skaters fall, the audience cheers not because they fall but to give them support to get up and skate on.
    Usually when a skater falls, there is a pause. Sometimes that pause is filled with groans or some sound to indicate disappointment, sometimes that pause is silent (perhaps out of surprise or shock). THEN there is usually some encouraging cheers or applause. Ity all happens very quickly, but from my years of watching skating and other sporting events, that is usually what I've seen happen. Spontaneous applause when someone not from your home team or home country takes a tumble is schadenfreude.

Frankly I found the Russian audiences appalling. They were privileged--privileged--to watch the finest ice dancing competition in the history of the Games and their partisanship was disgraceful. Someone said they were cheering for other people besides Russian teams, but if they were they were the quietest cheers in the history of sport.

Custom Title
    Yeah I don't get those who said cheering at the moment of a fall was to encourage skaters.

Usually cheers after a fall is when a skater opens their program with two falls or one very bad fall. And then the audience cheers them on to recover. Those cheers like when the Germans fell were blatant jeers for their loss and the Russians' gain.

I loved the Great Britain women's curling captain after besting Russia, when asked about the Russian audience trying to distract her with chants or cheering when she played blank ends on purpose: "yeah it's hard playing Russia, but the crowd doesn't really seem to know the game... when we deliberately play a blank and they cheer thinking we've missed... It's kind of funny actually".

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast