2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I tried to take my younger brother skating, he was terrified he would have to dress like Javier Fernandez !

Or like Yuzuru Hanyu's costume at FS. :rofl: I think the kid's costume at his SP is fine but his FS (both this year and last year) are too much for me to look at. Weir should know his limit at designing. :bang:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear Takahashi is out. :cry:

Kozuka does add some intrigue considering his SB:

Hanyu: 293.25
Fernandez: 267.11
Machida: 265.38
Ten: 255.10
Yan: 246.20
Kovtun: 240.34
Liebers: 238.87
Aaron: 238.36
Abbott: 237.41
Brezina: 236.98
Kozuka: 236.38 (from 2014 4CC)
Majorov: 224.86
Reynolds: 222.23
Hendrickx: 214.24
Amodio: 213.39

The chances for the U.S. to get three spots increased by a little. Kozuka may have the skate of his life, so this speculation may turn out to be nothing. But his quad is pretty inconsistent and Max HAS beaten Kozuka this season.

In addition, judges (wrongfully) do not give Kozuka high PCS marks, so he won't have that buffer if he doesn't skate well (or even simply make a few mistakes).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

The chances for the U.S. to get three spots increased by a little. Kozuka may have the skate of his life, so this speculation may turn out to be nothing. But his quad is pretty inconsistent and Max HAS beaten Kozuka this season.

In addition, judges (wrongfully) do not give Kozuka high PCS marks, so he won't have that buffer if he doesn't skate well (or even simply make a few mistakes).

Thanks for the update, Mrs. P.

KJGL

Rinkside

Kozuka: 236.38 (from 2014 4CC)

Also sad about Daisuke. Love his skating.

But yes, it does slightly improve the landscape for US Men. Yesterday I checked--Jason's personal best combined was 243-something at Bompard last October, not that it matters since we know he's not going. Just saying that, too, would have marginally improved the potential to get that third team member.

I still have hope, though, I believe in hoping until it becomes statistically impossible, so I'll be lighting some candles.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If the Wiki page is correct, Tania & Max are out. Antipova / Maisuradze are taking their place. I'm not surprised given that they were shuttled to the ice show in Switzerland and likely will be busy with public appearances in Russia and resting. Methinks they'll skate in Yuna's show again this year, Korean audiences really took to them in the last few years.

Are Aljona / Robin going for sure? If not, then like ice dance, it's open season on the podium. S/K have a clear shot at the title, B/L could get on the podium (zzzz) and both Canadians may also be there (I prefer MTM > D/R).

Strange how I thought this competition would be "watered down", but instead it may just be an opportunity to create a new world order in skating.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Or like Yuzuru Hanyu's costume at FS. :rofl: I think the kid's costume at his SP is fine but his FS (both this year and last year) are too much for me to look at. Weir should know his limit at designing. :bang:

The costume has not hurt him, either in popularity or in his scores. People who don't like it, don't have to look. He still has lots of fans.

Last time I checked, the skater gets to choose what he wears. It goes with the territory of having the talent. He wears what he wants. Deal with it.

These cheap attack comments are getting old. Save them for the costume threads.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Not his limit, it's Johnny Weir's. He designed that Christmas light inspired swan. ;)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

I don't know if I should cry or laugh everytime I see his custome lol

volk

Final Flight

Kozuka: 236.38

I think those four are only contenders for medals.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
The costume has not hurt him, either in popularity or in his scores. People who don't like it, don't have to look. He still has lots of fans.

Last time I checked, the skater gets to choose what he wears. It goes with the territory of having the talent. He wears what he wants. Deal with it.

Relax :) I don't think she/he is attacking him. I am a BIG fan of yuzu and yet I don't like most of his costumes but as you said he is talented so not a big deal

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Relax :) I don't think she/he is attacking him. I am a BIG fan of yuzu and yet I don't like most of his costumes but as you said he is talented so not a big deal

:agree: too much drama for a costume.

I must agree this season I didn't like Javi's costumes (+music+programs). I have high expectations when it comes to him.

edit: sorry for the off topic.
on: for me the ice dance is going to be very sad without V/M and D/W...

noskates

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt Brian Orser and Johnny held Yuzuru down and made him wear that costume!!! Don't blame it all on Johnny. Someone obviously approached him to do the job knowing full well how OTT he can be. As for Javi's costumes - they were wayyyy too tight!!! I thought the poor guy was going to split his pants if he fell!

This is the problem with a Worlds competition following an Olympic competition. If I had paid money to go to Japan I would be sorely disappointed right now. But from the skater's perspective, if I may be so bold, the effort and the emotion leading up to the Olympics is monumental. Once the competition is over I imagine it's difficult to get back in focus to do it all over again. But that's how some skaters, like Yuka Sato for example, managed to get their World titles. It does give others a chance.

I'm only sorry that Dai is out. I really came to love him during the Olympics. Thought his LP was wonderful!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
:cry::cry::cry: Jeff, Stephane, Evan and Johnny already retired. No Brian, no Tomas at the Worlds. And now no Daisuke...all of my most favorite skaters are gone.;;;;;;;; Figure skating won't be the same for me.

Don't feel competly sad. Tomas Verner will go to worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also sad about Daisuke. Love his skating.

But yes, it does slightly improve the landscape for US Men. Yesterday I checked--Jason's personal best combined was 243-something at Bompard last October, not that it matters since we know he's not going. Just saying that, too, would have marginally improved the potential to get that third team member.

I still have hope, though, I believe in hoping until it becomes statistically impossible, so I'll be lighting some candles.

FWIW, for the curious....here are the stats had Jason been going:

Brown: 243.09

Jeremy + Max combo = 8+9 = 17
Jason + Max combo = 6+8 = 14

Don't feel competly sad. Tomas Verner will go to worlds.

Per this: http://radio.cz/en/section/news/figure-skater-tomas-verner-postpones-retirement

So now:
Brown: 243.09
Verner: 232.99

Meoima

Match Penalty

Now, I was just replying another comment about costume. Sorry for being off-topic. It's just my joke to light up the thread. Like hell I could do anything to his costume (oh well, I wish I could). But it's true that some skaters have good taste in dressing up, some do not. :unsure: And it's true that some outsiders find the costumes wayyyy... too much extravagant.

Anyways, why don't ISU just skip the Worlds event that happened right after Olympic? All the good skaters are exhausted at this moment, not to mention the injuries. Or why don't they move the date, like 2 or 3 months after Olympic?:confused:

cebi26

On the Ice
So no one of the reigning champions are going to defend their titles? Sad for D/W and V/T

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
What about Joubert? Is he going?
I know he's kind of ancient but he loves after-olympic Worlds ;) and who knows what's better if thinking about 2 spots for France next year?

LRK

Record Breaker
Anyways, why don't ISU just skip the Worlds event that happened right after Olympic? All the good skaters are exhausted at this moment, not to mention the injuries. Or why don't they move the date, like 2 or 3 months after Olympic?:confused:

Well, I don't think the skaters who are going mind having another - better since some top names are skipping it - chance of collecting some hardware.

Meanwhile, I don't think putting it off 2-3 months would be a good idea - wouldn't that be when the skaters are starting to prepare for the next season?