2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

barnkeeper

Spectator
I just read the USFSA.org news release dated today With the headline "Davis and White Elect Not to Compete at 2014 World Championships
(3/3/14)" At the bottom it lists who is going to Worlds. Abbott is on the list, but there is no mention of Jason Brown. Anybody know what's going on? This was dated TODAY!
thank you.
barnkeeper.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Hmm? Abbott and Aaron were selected for Worlds this year. The Worlds team was selected back in January, at the same time as the selection of Olympic team. Jason Brown is first alternate.

pharmtech1

Rinkside
Gilles/Poirier are going to impress big time ! The free dance is the most innovative dance this year ! I can't wait !!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am sad. I am going to miss V and M, D and W and Chan; I think the Canadians are making huge mistakes. \v and m could have another gold with one more competition. And chan has some unfinished business. to skate clean or at least well. I do think one of these skaters/teams is going to crash and burn (some may get some vengence or vidniciation but someone is bound to crash and burn P and B (most likely will medal but I wish one of the newer teams or several would pass them W and P, C and B, Shibutanis, B and S, I and K, C and L are my hopes - they are all so exciting), Ssquared, Kostner though her olympic skates were wow, Takahashi. Ssquared, Abbott someone is bound to get the stayed too long award unfortunately - not to be mean - statistically speaking. Canada and the US especially Canada are in danger of no medals

anyanka

Record Breaker
Gilles/Poirier are going to impress big time ! The free dance is the most innovative dance this year ! I can't wait !!!

Yes! I love their Hitchcock routine. Great music, didn't realize how perfect it was until I saw their nationals FD and the score was theatrical yet cinematic. Great for ice dance. Hope they do well.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm? Abbott and Aaron were selected for Worlds this year. The Worlds team was selected back in January, at the same time as the selection of Olympic team. Jason Brown is first alternate.

The team selection was made after Nationals. It is the belief of some (including myself) that Abbott had agreed he would finish after the Olympics and thus Aaron and Brown would be the Worlds team, but no, Abbott has decided to go.

Wonder if this short program is "just a warmup" too?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Too bad that Hubbell/Donohue will miss Worlds. Hope that her surgery goes well.

Incredible opportunity for Aldridge/Eaton. TurboMom must be over the moon with excitement. I wonder whether she will accompany them.

Aldridge & Eaton had a good skate at 4 Continents in January - they won the bronze behind Hubbell & Donohue and Gilles & Poirier. This will be another opportunity for them to get more international exposure.

The downside for H&D is that this will be the 2nd Worlds they miss since they didn't go last year, either. Could mean they lose some ground at the beginning of the new Olympic cycle to some of the teams from Europe, Canada, etc.

wishonastar

On the Ice
Aldridge & Eaton had a good skate at 4 Continents in January - they won the bronze behind Hubbell & Donohue and Gilles & Poirier. This will be another opportunity for them to get more international exposure.

The downside for H&D is that this will be the 2nd Worlds they miss since they didn't go last year, either. Could mean they lose some ground at the beginning of the new Olympic cycle to some of the teams from Europe, Canada, etc.

A/E will definitely get more international exposure. Wonderful for their first year at Senior. It will be a good experience. At 4 Continents, they were 13 pts behind H/D, 9 pts behind G/P. They may not make the top 10, but a good opportunity.

H/D had a fairly successful season, even with time lost at the beginning for Hubbell's concussion (2 mos), and throughout the season in less training with her hip. At this point, according to ISU, after the Olympics they sit ninth in World standings, sixth in ranking. They more than likely would not get any more points at Worlds than they received at 4 Continents. There will be a little movement after Worlds, but not much. They have set themselves well for next season, and by the time Worlds is over, Hubbell will be about three weeks into recovery.

Without D/W and V/M attending, it will be interesting to see who starts off the new cycle on top...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
That's too bad. Would have been nice for Takahashi to end his career on home ice.

Big Deal

Final Flight
The inflation of the scores was NOT without a reason in Sochi in the shadow of the big one's (Like Davis/White and Virtue/Moir etc.)
It was to determine the results for the future. Can you imagine Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Stolbova/Klimov (they have been great in pairs event anyway!) to get 7s or 8s in the PCS after they got high 9s and some 10s at the Olympics in their age of 15-19 y.o.?

It never happened before and will never happen (to drop that much)...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi has withdrawn due to injury and is being replaced by Kozuka.

What a shame for Daisuke. May he heal completely. OTOH, I am glad that Taka will get to go to Worlds. Gee, I like Nobu, too, and felt bad that he & Taka didn't make the Olympic team. Seriously, I really like all of the Japanese guys (and ladies).

Now, I'm just hoping that P&B compete there. There seems to be conflicting info about them - deciding whether or no to go.

NMURA

Medalist
Lipnitskaya's SP score was 6 points lower at GPF (in Japan) than cup of Russia. This could be the indication.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, that made Worlds even less exciting, at least for Men. With Dai and Patrick not going I guess that will be a coronation game for Yuzuru. But I'm really happy for Kozuka. I hope he and Machida can somehow squeeze in on the podium. I hope that S/S might be able to grab their last World title and that Mao shows everyone who is boss in Ladies.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The inflation of the scores was NOT without a reason in Sochi in the shadow of the big one's (Like Davis/White and Virtue/Moir etc.)
It was to determine the results for the future. Can you imagine Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Stolbova/Klimov (they have been great in pairs event anyway!) to get 7s or 8s in the PCS after they got high 9s and some 10s at the Olympics in their age of 15-19 y.o.?

I very much hope that the Russian skaters will get the PCS they deserve and not inflated scores based on their nationality...